Shows you felt went on too long, ended too soon or felt just ended at the right time

Varysblackfyre321

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I think some people would probably argue Veronica Mars should have ended after two seasons. I still quite liked some of the third season, but it's definitely a step down from the first two.

oh sure, this only would have worked with the much rumored time jump / FBI plot. 

Funnily enough, 'Terriers' basically was an 'adult' version of Veronica Mars - navigating small town coastal CA dynamics between rich and poor, powerful and marginalized etc...  Californoir-lite 

I wish there was something really great to watch right this minute, that I have't already seen.  Just got back from being away again, and it's REALLY COLD here!

Rome and Marco Polo ended way too soon.

A series no one has mentioned that is still going but clearly has reached its sell-by date, is a long-time favorite from Canada, Murdoch Mysteries.  It should have finiahws with season 8 or 9 or 10, but here we are, repeating ourselves yet again in season 12.

Orphan Black stopped at just the right moment.  Any more and it would have been repetitive too.

I felt Parks and Recs ended, on time. Like, everyone’s respective journey wasn’t at least over elongated.

I’m probably going to get puzzled looks from this but I feel Star Trek:Enterprise really was cut too short, when it was just starting to get good. Honestly, the whole xenophic backlash we see a little nibbling could have made some legitimately great storylines down the road.

I also was saddened to see Netflix’s Marco Polo cancelled after 2 seasons. I think honestly, they’re depiction of the monguls, and their representation of History was pretty awesome. It encapsulated the brutality and they’re civility. They could have cut the unbelievable Martial arts stuff, but I don’t see that in particular as too much for me.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Too short lived

I name an old one, that hasn't popped up yet, the Adventures of Briscoe County Junior

Firefly

For the shows ending to early totally agree Firefly and  Briscoe County Junior , loved those shows.

And agree with others on Farscape, Carnivale, Rome, Deadwood (though the new movie will help), Stargate:Universe, also throw in Limitless, my most recent cancellation disappointment. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I don't think this means what you think it means. :P I know LoT is a show where you need to accept the silliness, which I had, but then came last season's last few of episodes, the closing of the big demon arc, and I thought they really mishandled some of the characters, so I called it quits.

Very fair.

I'm probably not the first to say this but can't help saying the following ended at just the right time

Prison break - 1 season

Heroes - 1 season

Sons of anarchy - 2 seasons

Dexter - 4 seasons (although season 3 had me worried it had ran its course)

Lost - 5 seasons

I'm sure you can all read between the lines and add these to the too long list.

Babylon 5 is weird in that it ended too soon and lasted too long thanks to the creators being under the impression season 4 was the last and then being renewed for a season 5 that had to be stretched material wise.

Stargate universe and sense8 required more time/seasons

Carnivale only needed one more season as i think it would have become stale if longer.

Rome could have done with more time to cover the events they did. I was curious they intended to cover Augustus' life but I'm not sure whether the characters/actors remaining could have carried the show beyond the two soldiers, mark anthony and co when doing season 3. 

Shows that ended prematurely: Daredevil, Sense8, Legend of the Seeker, Marco Polo. Galavant, Agent Carter, Rome...

Shows that went on too long: Grey's anatomy (I mean, this has a life of its own), The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Downton Abbey, The Good Wife (it should have ended with Season 5)...

Shows that ended at the right time: The Americans (the example I have for everything that is good on TV :D)... I mean all the greats ended at the right time - The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire...

@Werthead, I am not sure regarding GoT. I mean, the story needs more than 4 seasons, but I do agree about the writers. Seven seasons with great writers would have been unbelievably good. 

1 hour ago, Risto said:

@Werthead, I am not sure regarding GoT. I mean, the story needs more than 4 seasons, but I do agree about the writers. Seven seasons with great writers would have been unbelievably good. 

Yeah, even though the quality of the writing has dipped quite a bit, I don't think the show has gone on too long - cancellation was never an option given the runaway worldwide success. If anything D&D made the right decision as to when to end the show. I'm sure HBO would have loved to milk this cash cow for 10 seasons. 

38 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, even though the quality of the writing has dipped quite a bit, I don't think the show has gone on too long - cancellation was never an option given the runaway worldwide success. If anything D&D made the right decision as to when to end the show. I'm sure HBO would have loved to milk this cash cow for 10 seasons. 

They've settled for milking it for 10+ seasons by having spin offs but it is a gamble to try and maintain the viewership with a completely new cast and story. I guess they expect at least 50% of viewers to try the spin-off which would still be successful. I actually think a show that isn't an adaptation could be much more satisfying and I'm really curious to what Jane Goldman can do with a tv show. I've enjoyed a lot of her screenplays and i think there's usually less meddling with screenwriters in TV.

I think the only thing that's made GOT feel too long is the ratio of episides/time. Nearly 3 years for 13 episodes.

46 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Potentially you could have made a GoT show that got it all done in 8 seasons if you had planned to do that from the beginning. The pacing might have been a bit more even then. Instead we have the leisurely pacing of the first 4 seasons then absolute panic setting in towards the end as they crawl around trying to find a way to wrap it all up in a couple of seasons. 

Its all a bit of a mess really. 

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Potentially you could have made a GoT show that got it all done in 8 seasons if you had planned to do that from the beginning. The pacing might have been a bit more even then. Instead we have the leisurely pacing of the first 4 seasons then absolute panic setting in towards the end as they crawl around trying to find a way to wrap it all up in a couple of seasons. 

Its all a bit of a mess really. 

Might be mistaken but I seem to recall an interview with the showrunners from years back where they basically ruled out the show going on for 10 seasons. So it seems that around 8 seasons was the plan all along. The big problem of course were books 4 & 5 - these were always going to be the most challenging to adapt by far. Martin himself struggled for years with these two books and still ended up writing himself into a tangle which he continues to struggle to get out of.

The other issues were no further books for D&D to work off of and they simply aren't good enough writers themselves to fill in the blanks and form a coherent plot around the outline provided by Martin - a mitigating factor for them though is that they don't have the luxury of time with the show that Martin does with the books. So it's not been a huge surprise that the quality of the writing took a nosedive from season 5 onwards and the plotting, pacing and characterisation has been all over the place.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Rome could have done with more time to cover the events they did. I was curious they intended to cover Augustus' life but I'm not sure whether the characters/actors remaining could have carried the show beyond the two soldiers, mark anthony and co when doing season 3. 

I was really looking forward to Atia and Livia's epic cat fight (though it didn't happen in history, but then what does in most of these programs?). Octavia's smile there, in the last scene, when Atia won the argument of precedence at Augustus's acclamation, showed how she too was looking forward to it.  O, Octavian, how you're going to suffer!  Also Octavia had come back to life after her beat-downs.  It looked like the best of entertainments.

48 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

...what

Don't judge. As cheesy as it was, I wanted more and I wanted entire book series to have been adapted. It wasn't the best show, far from it, but it was one I wanted to watch more :D 

Game of Thrones hasn't gone on too long. The idea that it was stretched past where it should have ended is ridiculous. Don't confuse declining quality (which is also an absurd argument on its face, but whatever) with shows that ran out of story to tell. 

The back half of GoT has far more story than the first half and things are if anything being condensed to make it run shorter. 

Now, ASOIAF on the other hand...

2 hours ago, Risto said:

wanted to watch more  

Going thru Bridget Regan withdrawal symptoms may not mean the show was good, but it's a sign of high quality.... something something.

Is it so difficult to get a script mailed to New Zealand?  Apparently.  Every show shot down there involves gangs of thugs in matching leather uniforms meeting up on a trail and diving into fisticuffs.  It's how they roll.

After how Game of Thrones did away with Finger and the Sandsnakes, it lost its pizazz.   Battle of Bastards was fun as all bang though, so i may come back after it's over to pick and choose some big event eps to watch.

Archived