Shows you felt went on too long, ended too soon or felt just ended at the right time

Varysblackfyre321

13 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Going thru Bridget Regan withdrawal symptoms may not mean the show was good, but it's a sign of high quality.... something something.

It would have been easier had I not been suffering from withdrawal symptoms from this...

19 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’m probably going to get puzzled looks from this but I feel Star Trek:Enterprise really was cut too short, when it was just starting to get good. Honestly, the whole xenophic backlash we see a little nibbling could have made some legitimately great storylines down the road.

I agree the final season was the strongest of the show, so it's a pity it got cancelled then, although it's not too surprising when it takes four seasons to start to realise its potential.

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Might be mistaken but I seem to recall an interview with the showrunners from years back where they basically ruled out the show going on for 10 seasons. So it seems that around 8 seasons was the plan all along. The big problem of course were books 4 & 5 - these were always going to be the most challenging to adapt by far. Martin himself struggled for years with these two books and still ended up writing himself into a tangle which he continues to struggle to get out of.

The other issues were no further books for D&D to work off of and they simply aren't good enough writers themselves to fill in the blanks and form a coherent plot around the outline provided by Martin - a mitigating factor for them though is that they don't have the luxury of time with the show that Martin does with the books. So it's not been a huge surprise that the quality of the writing took a nosedive from season 5 onwards and the plotting, pacing and characterisation has been all over the place.

Originally they were thinking around 9 seasons and then at a certain point they seem to have thought they might only get 6 or 7 seasons and then negotiated 8, which is why the pacing is all over the place (most notably in not bringing in Dorne and the Iron Islands when they should and then abruptly reversing and bringing those storylines into play but much later in the narrative).

On 3/4/2019 at 11:37 PM, Corvinus said:

I don't think this means what you think it means. :P I know LoT is a show where you need to accept the silliness, which I had, but then came last season's last few of episodes, the closing of the big demon arc, and I thought they really mishandled some of the characters, so I called it quits. 

Wouldn't know, I tapped out at the beginning of the season.

Forget what I said. Black Lightning needs to end too.

13 hours ago, williamjm said:

I agree the final season was the strongest of the show, so it's a pity it got cancelled then, although it's not too surprising when it takes four seasons to start to realise its potential.

That's pretty par for the course for Trek...

I mean I'd argue that Voyager never hit it's potential, and it got 7 seasons.

It was the terrible intro music that killed the show, more than the show itself imo. Set entirely the wrong tone from the get go.

1 hour ago, Impmk2 said:

It was the terrible intro music that killed the show, more than the show itself imo. Set entirely the wrong tone from the get go.

Oh come on, you're exaggerating. How bad can it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbnTZREMEJI

....I stand corrected.

3 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

TOS was a hit pretty much out of the gate (by 1960s standards), TNG took until Season 3 to get reliably good (although S2 did have some great episodes) and Voyager indeed never really got good at all. The only Trek series which really took off in its first season was DS9, and even that had to endure a rocky first few episodes as it figured stuff out. Apart from TOS, I think that DS9 was the only Trek series to give us a genuinely classic episode in its first season (Duet in that case).

One show that I remember enjoying a lot and being the first show I was really into that got cancelled was the Black Donnelys.  It got canned mid-season and the last 3 episodes were only available online.  

Ripper Street was a show that ended perfectly after three seasons...and then inexplicably went on for two more. The latter seasons were still fine, actually great in some places, just not quite as consistently great as the first few.

9 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

It's a shame because I liked the visuals of the intro showing the history of exploration.

8 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Oh come on, you're exaggerating. How bad can it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbnTZREMEJI

....I stand corrected.

The worst thing was that in the later seasons they remixed it and made it worse.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

It's a shame because I liked the visuals of the intro showing the history of exploration.

The worst thing was that in the later seasons they remixed it and made it worse.

This is one of those times where I simply cannot believe a room of people earning a lot of money actually all heard that and said ‘yup, I’m pretty sure it’s the tempo that’s the problem ... this double time version should fix things’. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. They made the worst theme in history even worse.

I have no evidence at all, but I completely agree the theme killed it. It soured everyone from the get go, gave us a reason to look for more flaws and less likely to give it the benefit of the doubt. Classic orchestral theme = 7 seasons.

Where's that unpopular opinion thread, because I may be the only to have liked the Enterprise intro. I mean, sure, they could have not used that song (though I may be missing something here, because I don't know why it's so vilified), but the visuals were great.

Shows I felt went on too long: The Boondocks (should've ended after season 3), Dexter (should've ended after season 5), daytime soap operas, The Simpsons, The Walking Dead, ER, and Smallville.

Shows I felt ended too soon: Into the Badlands, Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, Rome, Thundercats 2011, Symbiotic Titan, Generator Rex, Static Shock, and Freaks and Geeks.

Shows I felt ended at the right time: LOST, Breaking Bad, Regular Show, Game of Thrones, Martin, Steven Universe

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

Yeah, honestly I thought when I thought I heard the intro music they just used a standard country song about believing in Jesus. 

On 3/4/2019 at 5:27 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Terminator: The Sarah Conor Chronicles deserved at least 7 more seasons. 

Gotta thank you for motivating me to rewatch this.  Just about to start it up.  I actually paid for the DVDs way back when.

22 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

I’d say Voyager was average. Not bad, but certainly not great. They wasted a lot of the potential for conflict they could have had-I mean it kinda appears they just ditched any pretense of there being strife predicated on the members of Starfleet having to work with a terrorist cell.  Though I loved The Doctor. Honestly, in my opinion, his journey was amazing to watch from an apathetic, recluse, only interested in following his programming, to a politically opinionated, sentient being, who cherishs those around him. 

55 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

The 90s X-men: the animated series ended at just the right time.

I totally loved the cartoon growing up.  Didn't read any comics, so it informed most of what I know about Marvel characters.  Well that and the trading cards, was into those too.  Still, I have absolutely no memory of how it ended.

Archived