MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

Oh you went there! Shit just got real!

Review embargo lifts in a little over 24hrs. One of the final hopes of the trolls (that the twitter reviews =/= the actual reviews of a wider group of reviewers) will either vindicate or disappoint them. And then their last best hope is that this is one of those movies that critics like but audiences hate. Pretty unlikely for an MCU movie I'd wager. Though if there is girl power aplenty things will get heated on social media; remember the heat that Jessica Jones "how rapey of you" line got? Expect it to get severely review bombed with user reviews. The trolls hated Rotten Tomatoes changing its user interaction policy so they will be determined to do maximum damage. Further demonstrating that user reviews for most things are pretty useless.

4 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

Yeah, I'm under the impression that it's a poorly made movie (the directing pair has no experience in making movies of this scale) that 'is sending a good message'.

Maybe the scale of the movie was beyond them. The reviews I've seen have tried to make a big effort to say nice things about the movie, but seem to feel that it ultimately felt quite flat, that her character isn't well developed and the good moments in it didn't do enough to elevate it.

I'll probably watch it, but it looks like another lower tier marvel. 

I've recently become a columnist for my local newspaper.    :)      :smug:      :D

I've just had published an article I wrote on Captain Marvel.

It's not about the troll idiots hoping the movie will fail, it's about hoping to clear up the confusion between Marvel's Captain Marvel and DC's Shazam who used to be called Captain Marvel.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/opinion/columnists/2019/03/05/captain-marvel-and-shazam-tale-two-mixed-up-comic-book-characters/3058609002/

There was a lot more I wanted to write about this but 700 words was my limit.

I wish they kept my original title for the article though - "Marvelous Mix-Up! A Tale of Two Captains"

15 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Certainly seems to be right wing MRA clowns pointing out the few bad reviews though, eh?

Yeah, I am getting seriously sick of this. Go to the movie and see it first and then decide if you like it or not, quit it with the prejudiced opinions before movies even come out!

I mean, at most you can say a trailer looks bad after you've seen it and that lessens enthusiasm for a movie, but still if it's a movie you're interested in one way or another, give it a fair shot!

Seriously, it’s got pretty positive reviews, the reviews have been hitting for less then 24 hours, and people immediately zoom in and start cherry picking the few bad ones. Also, fuck Vox, but that’s a different topic. (There article titles have spoiled like 4 films for me pre release)

Cheers, Drawkcabi!  :read:.    :cheers:

We're looking at only a limited chance for nookie in this movie, and what's worse is the entire galaxy seems to have artificial gravity on their space ships, which kills off any chance for the zero gravity sex scenes that made The Expanse culturally important.    So it looks like we'll have to place our faith in things blowing up.   Which works for Stark.    Afterthought! - - Marvel can breathe and fight outside the spaceship.... so the nookie could indeed be zero g, and they could brace themselves against the outer hull for support!   All halfway voyeur viewed from people inside the porthole windows.    That's if the movie was made in the 80's.  Or 90's.  Or Otts.   But this is the modern times.  So no space nookie, probably.   Unless.... there are those photos floating around on the nets of Carol getting groped by some pretty weird looking aliens, like totally incompatible with human physiology, you know.   But alas, that will probably also be held back for the sequel.  So, explosions it is.   Still, it's an exciting week to be alive and waiting.

Looks like Captain Marvel will have low 80% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and a 6.5/10 average review score.

That's a good movie, worth seeing as far as I'm concerned. Not gonna set the world on fire or anything, but competently made.

Seeing it on Friday, with hopefully the right level of expectations.

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Looks like Captain Marvel will have low 80% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and a 6.5/10 average review score.

That's a good movie, worth seeing as far as I'm concerned. Not gonna set the world on fire or anything, but competently made.

Seeing it on Friday, with hopefully the right level of expectations.

Heads up, the variety review has spoilers in it, because fuck my life. Nothing major, but still.

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That average review score, btw, is exactly 5% more than the 3/5 stars (or dumbass Vs or whatever) that Vox review gave it that @Heartofice cited as a non-MRA source that didn't like the movie.  Because it's actually a perfectly fine score for a superhero movie.  And of course some non-MRA critics aren't gonna like it.  A.O. Scott will absolutely certainly hate it, if he bothers to review it.  So?

Currently Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, sitting at 83%. My concern is that the narrative is already "mixed reviews," when that's not the case. Nothing about 83% is "mixed." People will not be satisfied if this movie is just "good" or "solid." They will look at anything less than amazing as a shortcoming. And that's a problem. A movie should be allowed to be just "good."

I looked at some YouTube reviews for the film, and I don't think I've ever seen so many reviews have as many dislikes as likes. People truly have it in for this movie. It's unfortunate.

Archived