MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

35 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

ITS NOT A PERFECT 10

ITS A FAILURE

FEIGE IS GOING TO RETIRE AND GET FIRED AND ALSO BE LAUNCHED INTO SPACE

Oh come on, be fair. It's not a failure because it's not a perfect 10. It's a failure because it's not a perfect 7.5 like Wonder Woman was. 6.5 vs 7.5 clearly a massively inferior movie. And it's failed to reach the hallowed 8.8 of Black Panther, so obviously it has no business existing. It'll be interesting to see if the MRA start talking about how great Black Panther was. Remember back then when people were claiming hordes of black people beating up whites after seeing Black Panther? .... ah simpler times.

Given the opinion of many is that Captain Marvel is a C-list, repeatedly failed character in the comics, a 80+%, 6.5/10 adaptation seems like a pretty good achievement.

Interestingly, review-wise Ant Man movie did about the same as Captain Marvel seems to be tracking. And yet the fandom raved about it, mostly.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Given the opinion of many is that Captain Marvel is a C-list character, an 80+%, 6.5/10 adaptation seems like a pretty good achievement.

Good point.   This one doesn't have the built in familiarity among moviegoers , so it has to impress by cold calling.   And if it hangs in there only a couple approval points off the pace of the well- knowns, hey.   

I give it a 6/10. The movie was really safe and the humour almost always felt forced to me. The movie had some plot twists, all of which felt anticlimactic and I may or may not have shouted "You have GOT to be kidding me!" in the theatre at one of them. The villains were boring as dirt. It's a lot of telling of how awesome Carol is, but not enough showing. Sure she kicks ass, but personality-wise, she's not that special. I have seen Brie Larson in other roles, she is capable of so much more than this, but Carol was overall just uncompelling to me. The two stand-out characters in the film for me were Monica Rambeau and Goose.

Still some fun action scenes.

Aaand the Captain Marvel comics have never sold well requiring multiple reboots, aaand the current iteration of Captain Marvel comics is just SJW'ing over everyone and everything. Among the comic fans it would appear that this character isn't just fighting against unfamiliarity, she's fighting against unpopularity.

The interesting thing though, is that social media only seemed to start the refrain that Captain marvel is an unsuccessful comic book character after Brie Larsen started to become too much of an uppity b* for some people. Not many people complained about the character being a bad choice for the first solo female film for the MCU 5 years ago when she was first announced.

Carol hasn't been a c-lister since the mid 2000s. She was somewhat of a joke then and Marvel actually poked fun at that with her miniseries.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/eade819fe6674c491f3af8c78180fa25/tumblr_pnxccfr62V1rk0k4co1_540.jpg

After that they built her up steadily and now she's an A-lister. Sure her book keeps getting relaunched, but Wonder Woman has had similar problems since forever and she's an A-lister.

42 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Carol hasn't been a c-lister since the mid 2000s. She was somewhat of a joke then and Marvel actually poked fun at that with her miniseries.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/eade819fe6674c491f3af8c78180fa25/tumblr_pnxccfr62V1rk0k4co1_540.jpg

After that they built her up steadily and now she's an A-lister. Sure her book keeps getting relaunched, but Wonder Woman has had similar problems since forever and she's an A-lister.

I’d say more like B. 

To me the only interesting thing about her was that Rogue stole her powers...

11 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’d say more like B. 

To me the only interesting thing about her was that Rogue stole her powers...

That seems to be standard refrain from the social media trolls.

On that note, watched an interesting youtube vid about how in the X-men cartoon series the whole lot of the X-men involved were dodgy AF when it came to that plotline.

I do wonder why Feige chose Captain Marvel as the first solo female film. Was it because she was the only human / Earth Marvel character available to him who could actually bring something to the table in the fight with Thanos? Or was it because her power level rivals that of Super Girl and Wonder Woman? And it's good to get Carol Danvers into the public mind before DC get's Kara Danvers out there?

Outside of the question of what to do about Thanos. Captain Marvel could have been good to introduce as a still brainwashed into thinking she's Kree character in GoTG3.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That seems to be standard refrain from the social media trolls.

On that note, watched an interesting youtube vid about how in the X-men cartoon series the whole lot of the X-men involved were dodgy AF when it came to that plotline.

So anyone that doesn’t find the character particularly interesting is a troll? 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

So anyone that doesn’t find the character particularly interesting is a troll? 

If they are only bringing that up now, maybe yes. If people made that point back in 2015 when her movie was first announced, probably not. I have no idea what camp you fall into. All I know is that it's a line that is being trotted out by those who are expressing particular ire towards Brie Larson.

There are lots of youtubes around from the last Captain Marvel Issue 1 launch that take a giant dump on that release. With those folks I can see that they have major issues with the character not at all related to the way people have deliberately misrepresented what Brie Larson said about 40-year old white movie critics.

No problem with Brie Larson here. Thought she was great in Room, just never got into the character in the comics.

Maybe the movie will change my mind. I never cared about the GotG comics either, but the first movie is one of my absolute favorite comic movies. 

I'm trying to think of what characters they can introduce after this... Moon Night? Better suited for TV probably. The same with the street heroes from netflix...... Namor? or does Universal still own this rights?... They can't do Spiderwoman because of Sony... I can't think of any other prominent Avengers, new or otherwise... 

After the re-boot, I'm sure they'll take another crack at the Inhumans and Fantastic Four, --not to mention the X-men-- so unless they're ready to do 6 movies a year, I doubt that there will be enough room for everyone...

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

What reboot?

I'm assuming that's referring to internet rumors that the end of Infinity War/Endgame will effectively reboot the MCU. I'm not sure I buy it, but it is a thing that's out there.

Archived