MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

What reboot?

Isn't phase 5 or whatever it is they are doing after phase 4 supposed to be the regroup/reconfigure/reboot phase?

Anyway, I've got no problem with a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel movie and am happy to watch Brie Larson take on the role.  However, I think Marvel Comics' Captain Marvel is a solid C-list character in pop culture overall. Comic book fans are one thing, but for the casual movie fans that happen to like comic book movies, I'm pretty sure she is quite obscure. Especially with the long history of Shazam being called Captain Marvel until 2012. That was the whole gist of my article, trying to clear up the confusion with both characters having movies coming out a month apart and trying to get people excited for both of them.

I also think the Guardians of the Galaxy were relatively unknown C-list characters to casual movie goers and the movies did great bringing them into the cultural forefront. I'd say Iron Man was on the B-list until the first movie and Robert Downey Jr. taking on the role, now he's A-list. So why not the same for Captain Marvel? The incels and MRA's need to quit their whining about it. It's completely idiotic for anyone to point out Carol Danvers' Captain Marvel is too unknown and because of that is unwise to give a movie to her and it's being only done because of "SJW" agenda :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well that’s just silly.

YOUR FACE IS SILL - Oh wait, no I agree.

Sorry, I'm not used to agreeing on the internet.

10 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Isn't phase 5 or whatever it is they are doing after phase 4 supposed to be the regroup/reconfigure/reboot phase?

I don't think Marvel has confirmed any plans for the next phase other than there will be GotG and Spider-Man sequels in it. Considering that a SpiderMan sequel is the movie right after Endgame, I don't think a full on reboot is likely.

2 minutes ago, Durckad said:

YOUR FACE IS SILL - Oh wait, no I agree.

Sorry, I'm not used to agreeing on the internet.

I don't think Marvel has confirmed any plans for the next phase other than there will be GotG and Spider-Man sequels in it. Considering that a SpiderMan sequel is the movie right after Endgame, I don't think a full on reboot is likely.

Right not a full reboot but a lot of contracts are expiring and I don't think RDJ and Chris Evans especially are really up for new ones, maybe if enoough money was thrown at them, but anyway Iron Man and Captain America and others are still going to be in movies but the actors will change eventually.

So yeah, no reboot but a realigning?

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm trying to think of what characters they can introduce after this... Moon Night? Better suited for TV probably. The same with the street heroes from netflix...... Namor? or does Universal still own this rights?... They can't do Spiderwoman because of Sony... I can't think of any other prominent Avengers, new or otherwise... 

After the re-boot, I'm sure they'll take another crack at the Inhumans and Fantastic Four, --not to mention the X-men-- so unless they're ready to do 6 movies a year, I doubt that there will be enough room for everyone...

I think I saw somewhere that Universal still owns Namor. Man they were onto a winner when they grabbed that one! Best thing they can do now is sell him back to Disney. Though maybe they don't want him since Aqua seems to have stolen all his best bits, including not being blonde and white. The only angle they have with Namor is to make him an antagonist toward the terrestrial heroes albeit not an outright villain.

I also read / heard that Sony doesn't have the rights to Jessica Drew, apparently she's not really part of the Parker-verse so she wasn't in the Spidey package Sony bought. They will probably wait and see how the current spider man collab works out before they decide to pull a swifty on Sony with that move.

I think, also She-hulk rights might be in someone-else's hands.

18 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think I saw somewhere that Universal still owns Namor. Man they were onto a winner when they grabbed that one! Best thing they can do now is sell him back to Disney. Though maybe they don't want him since Aqua seems to have stolen all his best bits, including not being blonde and white. The only angle they have with Namor is to make him an antagonist toward the terrestrial heroes albeit not an outright villain.

I think if MCU gets the rights to Namor they need the original Human Torch, the android one. Break it down simply into an elementals war. Simple on the surface, water vs. fire, hero vs. villain, but more complex beneath, it's really anti-hero vs. anti-hero. If done right it could be a movie about two characters opposed to one another and both being made very interesting.

Even though it's been done a lot - hero from back in the day emerges in modern times (Captain America, Wonder Woman), I wouldn't mind a Human Torch origin being a Tesla-ish inventor's creation back at the turn of the 20th century that's been in hibernation mode until woken by...whoever. I like old-timey robots in modern settings anyway :) 

I know F4 has their own Torch, but if they're around they can just say Johnny Storm was "inspired" to use the name of the original or something like that and didn't know the original would come back.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think he was joking. Captain Marvel is by no means a C-list character.

I grew up reading Marvel comics (granted mostly X-Men with just a few scattered Avenger-related stuff here and there) and my first real exposure to her outside of her history with Rogue was the Superhero Squad cartoon about 10 years ago. I knew who she was, but not much outside general who.

If Ironman was considered B-list when his first movie came out, we can put Capt Marvel as C-list (especially before her movie was announced). C-list isn't a slam on her character. Guardians were certainly C-list and Dr. Strange I'd put in the B- range if not C (in terms of popularity outside comic readers).  That status didn't hurt those movies one bit.

8 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I grew up reading Marvel comics (granted mostly X-Men with just a few scattered Avenger-related stuff here and there) and my first real exposure to her outside of her history with Rogue was the Superhero Squad cartoon about 10 years ago. I knew who she was, but not much outside general who.

If Ironman was considered B-list when his first movie came out, we can put Capt Marvel as C-list (especially before her movie was announced). C-list isn't a slam on her character. Guardians were certainly C-list and Dr. Strange I'd put in the B- range if not C (in terms of popularity outside comic readers).  That status didn't hurt those movies one bit.

Yep.

For me, when I watched the X-Men 90's cartoon and they had the storyline about Rogue and Ms. Marvel I was always like "Who the heck is Ms. Marvel? I've never heard of her."

Then a few years ago they did the excellent cartoon "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and they had a storyline in it involving Mar-Vel and Carol Danvers and she was Ms. Marvel and then Captain Marvel. When I saw that I was like "Ohhhhhhhhhh, now I get it."

15 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Oddly enough this is my experience as well. My only knowledge of her growing up was her interaction with Rogue, which was mostly only talked about, so I didn't know anything about her character. 

Marvel has shown that they can make good movies with minor, less well known characters. Almost nobody had heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy before the movie came out.

I saw it tonight, went in knowing almost nothing about the character, the Kree or the Skrulls and I enjoyed the hell out of it, Will be taking the kids on the weekend and certainly not upset about seeing it a second time.

52 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I saw it tonight, went in knowing almost nothing about the character, the Kree or the Skrulls and I enjoyed the hell out of it, Will be taking the kids on the weekend and certainly not upset about seeing it a second time.

Very cool to hear!

I plan to wait until the 15th to see it. I'm not a fan of crowded theaters like I used to be and the 15th is by birthday so I figured that would be a nice treat. :) 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’d say more like B. 

To me the only interesting thing about her was that Rogue stole her powers...

This isn't about being interesting to a person, though. It it was about being interesting Superman would be a d-lister on my list.

I call her an A because she has consistently been pushed to the frontlines of each big conflict in recent marvel stories and has been among the most prominent Marvel heroes for almost a decade now. The last Civil War was just one example.

6 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

This isn't about being interesting to a person, though. It it was about being interesting Superman would be a d-lister on my list.

I call her an A because she has consistently been pushed to the frontlines of each big conflict in recent marvel stories and has been among the most prominent Marvel heroes for almost a decade now. The last Civil War was just one example.

Yeah, I think there's two ways people are thinking about her. Within the Marvel Universe, Captain Marvel's importance could be A-level, I wouldn't argue about that.

But what I'm saying is her relevance in pop culture is C-level based on knowledge of her existence. It's not about being interesting either, many people could find her very interesting, the only thing stopping them is that they don't about her. That by no means says a movie shouldn't be made about her though or that a Captain Marvel movie can't be a success. Precedent set with other characters shows otherwise.

6 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Yeah, I think there's two ways people are thinking about her. Within the Marvel Universe, Captain Marvel's importance could be A-level, I wouldn't argue about that.

But what I'm saying is her relevance in pop culture is C-level based on knowledge of her existence.

Very true, no argument there. Then again if we're going by that then besides characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Thor and Cap, you don't really have a ton of A-listers. You have many B-listers and more C-listers than you can swing a cat at.

I think Carol has the same problem as Supergirl (who is incidentally also known as Kara Danvers, seven hells) in that Marvel keeps changing her identity and origin story. People complained about the recent origin change that made her the daughter of a Kree Warrior and a human male, but her origin has changed several times before. It's hard learning about a character when you can't even get a good grasp of who he or she is at their core.

The Ms Marvel Carol of the 90s for instance was VERY different from the woman in recent years. Personality-wise, they have about as much in common as Stannis and Renly.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Very cool to hear!

I plan to wait until the 15th to see it. I'm not a fan of crowded theaters like I used to be and the 15th is by birthday so I figured that would be a nice treat. :) 

This was a birthday treat for me as well :cheers: I went to the "lounge" theatre at my nearby indie cinema, they bring food in during the movie and it's only like 20-30 seats in there so it's a nice quiet experience.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I also read / heard that Sony doesn't have the rights to Jessica Drew, apparently she's not really part of the Parker-verse so she wasn't in the Spidey package Sony bought. They will probably wait and see how the current spider man collab works out before they decide to pull a swifty on Sony with that move.

I think, also She-hulk rights might be in someone-else's hands.

Being blonde and white was the best thing about Aquaman.

8 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Endgame ends Phase 3 and Spider-Man: Far from Home opens Phase 4, so Phase 4 is still going to be in current continuity. There are currently nine films planned for Phase 4 for release through the end of 2022, although the only confirmed ones are Far From Home (July 2019) and Dr. Strange 2 (May 2021). The EternalsBlack Panther 2Black Widow and Shang-Chi have all been announced by not assigned release dates yet. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was announced but pulled due to Gunngate and the fate of the movie is in some doubt. We can assume that there'll be a further Avengers movie and maybe an Ant-Man 3 and Captain Marvel 2 as well.

It's also believed that a Thor 4 might be back on the cards, as Hemsworth was reportedly considering quitting with Evans and Downey Jr. but had such a great time on Ragnarok that he said he'd stick around. So Thor 4 might happen but only if Waititi agrees to direct it.

Phase 5 is expected to being in 2023 and is rumoured to be the reboot. It'll be 15 years since Iron Man started the MCU and I think the continuity will have peaked at that point and might be threatening to become overwhelming. I also think that Marvel/Disney will want to start exploiting the X-verse characters by that point as well, and you can't really just have them show up en masse in the existing MCU. I think that Iron Man, Captain America etc are also iconic characters they won't want to leave alone for more than a few years.

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I also think that Marvel/Disney will want to start exploiting the X-verse characters by that point as well, and you can't really just have them show up en masse in the existing MCU. 

Considering the X-Men are more underground heroes, it's not a huge stretch to have them unknown to the public at large. This is even true in the current continuity. Was the 80's Ant Man and Wasp unknown? Was Ironman really the first publicly known superhero? We'll soon see how much everyone knew about Capt Marvel in 90's.

Easy to just hand wave it as Shield already knowing about mutants. Fury has probably been in contact with Xavier for years.

Disney's Marvel can have their cake and eat it too.

Archived