MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

45 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No way is she the most powerful in the comics. Scarlet With alone can just wish she doesn't exist. :P

True, there’s a number of characters with vague godlike powers, usually mutants.  Franklin Richards, Legion, Scarlet Witch. There’s also actual gods plus all those celestial type beings.  But c’mon Carol Danvers is up there in orbit every day breaking up meteors by punching them.  She’s an actual, proper, get down to business superhero.

37 minutes ago, john said:

True, there’s a number of characters with vague godlike powers, usually mutants.  Franklin Richards, Legion, Scarlet Witch. There’s also actual gods plus all those celestial type beings.  But c’mon Carol Danvers is up there in orbit every day breaking up meteors by punching them.  She’s an actual, proper, get down to business superhero.

Oh no argument there, I've just had a lot of who's the most powerful Marvel character arguments a lot in the past weeks.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Given the meh reviews from Chris Stuckmann

Just on him. I'm not sure I liked they way he both-sides'd the whole meta controversy around Captain Marvel. No one on one of the sides was saying anything until the other side took some stuff Brie Larson said completely out of context and started trolling everything about the movie. In his attempt to not piss off some of his fanbase his attempt to seem fair, balanced and neutral about the whole thing ended up being unfair to those who are trying to defend Brie Larson.

He did say he really digs Brie as an actor and is looking forward to what she can do with the character. So I don't think he's a troll in reviewer's clothing.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

No way is she the most powerful in the comics. Scarlet With alone can just wish she doesn't exist. :P

I feel like her claim to fame could be more that she's the most balanced hero: huge power, intelligent, strategic in a military sense, empathetic(?). There's not many heroes that rate highly in all of these. She's not the best in any one of those categories, but she's better than pretty much anyone in at least one of those categories. 

4 hours ago, john said:

The Margaret Stohl retcon (that she’s half Kree) is annoying, like all retcons, but it does make more sense than she was standing near a male superhero in an explosion. Hopefully the film version is better than either of those.

I'm not sure how much I should be saying in this thread, even non spoiler at this point, but I want to say something about this point at least so I'll spoiler tag it

Spoiler

The answer is neither of these and it does tie into the existing MCU

I think if I were to rate it technically it's not as good a film as BP - BP created it's sound track from scratch, it came up with a number of costume looks to fill an afro futurist vision of what a wealthy and advanced African nation free from the legacy of slavery would look like and it did these things well.

I think taken in isolation its a better film than IW which was too heavy on action, but IW is the culmination of a lot of movies and leans on them for narrative weight and can't really be judged in isolation as a result. It also doesn't have the (obviously imo) severely problematic issue that IW had with Thanos, especially regarding Gamora.

I think it was a solid and enjoyable movie that isn't quite strong enough to transcend your expectations - if you go in expecting to enjoy it then you will, if you expect to hate it then you'll hate it too. I also suspect people who love cats will be more likely to enjoy it and people who hate them will be the opposite. That's only if you really hate them though, being meh on cats won't have an impact.

I plan to see it this weekend knowing very little about the character so I should enjoy it quite a bit. I heard the Stan Lee moment is pretty emotional so we'll see what they do with him, I have a suspicion but want to see if I am right.

Just saw it. I really liked it. Not the absolute best Marvel movie, but definitely in the upper range of them for me.

EDIT: Created a standalone Captain Marvel spoiler thread.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Man never let it be said I don’t appreciate this place. There is a thread on other site about the FILM SCORE that has devolved into some of the most foulest shit I’ve ever seen.

Yes, I can imagine 85% / 6.5/10 has become the new "bad".

Not wanting to really start that kind of debate, but I did notice on RT that one reviewer gave the movie a 2.5/4 (4!?!) and RT recorded it as rotten and yet there's a reviewer who gave the movie 2.5/5 and that's recorded as fresh. At least these two reviews cancel each other out. But I wonder how good RT is at making sure the fresh/rotten rating for individual reviews is a proper reflection of the review. Or does a reviewer inform RT what rating to give a review regardless of score?

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Pah, new? Remember when part of the internet exploded with rage because Gamespot gave Zelda Twilight Princess a mere 8.8/10?

Video games have always been extreme with review scores, because video game reviewers were always stupid with how they would score a game. They would shit all over a game, and then give it a 5.5/10. A game getting 7/10 reviews started to be seen as unplayable and not worth buying.

And as part of the console war there would be heated arguments about a 9.5 meta-score proves a games is much better than a 9.3 meta-score. It was, and probably still is ridiculous. The sad thing is maybe movies are now headed in that direction. If it's not >85% it's not worth seeing at the cinema. Pathetic if it comes to that!

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, I meant score as in soundtrack, but yeah the fighting over the ever changing RT score is also hilarious.

My fault misinterpreting this time. I did note that a couple of reviewers thought the use of a particular "girl" song during a particular fight was lame / groan-worthy / eyeroll inducing. I'll see tonight if I think that. It does seem like an odd song choice for an action scene, but the juxtaposition could work

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, I meant score as in soundtrack, but yeah the fighting over the ever changing RT score is also hilarious.

I don't remember noticing the films theme if it had one, but all the music through it was literally all on a playlist brook has filled with mostly 90s music that we listen to a lot. I can understand not appreciating it if you're too young for 90s music though lol.

47 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

My fault misinterpreting this time. I did note that a couple of reviewers thought the use of a particular "girl" song during a particular fight was lame / groan-worthy / eyeroll inducing. I'll see tonight if I think that. It does seem like an odd song choice for an action scene, but the juxtaposition could work

Bollocks to that, musically it fit the tempo of the fight scene and thematically it fit where the movie was at. 

15 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I don't remember noticing the films theme if it had one, but all the music through it was literally all on a playlist brook has filled with mostly 90s music that we listen to a lot. I can understand not appreciating it if you're too young for 90s music though lol.

Wait..... This is a thing?

13 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Was it you that mentioned the Vox review DR? I just went and read it to see why you cursed it and now I'm annoyed. Why did I do that?

I think the variety review, but Vox reviews and articles in general have spoiled some pretty big stuff in general from me, so yeah, Vox can fuck right off. They put the goddamn spoiler in the article title too so all it has to do is pop up on your feed and well fuck.

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

90s music? Yes.

22 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Oh boy have I got some bad news for you about how damn old the kids are getting these days

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think the variety review, but Vox reviews and articles in general have spoiled some pretty big stuff in general from me, so yeah, Vox can fuck right off. They put the goddamn spoiler in the article title too so all it has to do is pop up on your feed and well fuck.

90s music? Yes.

It also managed to complain about something being missing while specifically referencing the sequence of the movie that provided it.

Archived