MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

For me the Russo Bros movies come top 3, no question. Infinity War I felt was just fantastic in its scale and invention,, but Winter Soldier was just such a game changer for me when viewing MCU movies. Their stuff is so far above everyone else, especially when it comes to action.

At the bottom I think my least favourite is Dr Strange. Its not even the worst movie, but I find it so devoid of anything interesting or moments I can remember. Even the worst MCU movies have something great in them. Iron Man 2 has Mickey Rourkes over the top performance, Incredible Hulk does some stuff with Banner that I really enjoyed, and Thor 2... er.. I think there was a funny joke in there.

1. Winter Soldier
  2. Infinity War
  3. Civil War
  4. Ragnarok
  5. GotG
  6. Avengers
  7. Iron Man 1
  8. Homecoming
  9. GotG 2
  10. Captain Marvel
  11. Ant Man
  12. Thor
  13. Iron Man 3
  14. Captain America
  15. Avengers Ultron
  16. Black Panther
  17. Ant Man 2
  18. Iron Man 2
  19. Incredible Hulk
  20. Thor 2
  21. Dr Strange

I have a hard time ranking these films, because for me they have moments that are incredibly well done.  Like, in Spiderman when he is getting driven to the dance by his girlfriend's dad and they are having this moment where one realizes who the other is.  The levels of anxiety going down are great.  Iron Man 3 has issues, but I really bought into Tony Stark with his PTSD.  I could go on.  Even the Incredible Hulk with the fight between the Hulk and the Suped up Solider was impressive.  I think I could do a ranking of my favorite scenes over that of my favorite movies.

22 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Ha, no more shocking that your Guardians rankings.

Here's mine, but I do need to see Captain Marvel at least one more time to hammer it down.

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Captain America: Civil War
  4. Thor Ragnarok
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  7. Avengers
  8. Black Panther
  9. Iron Man
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Captain America: The First Avenger
  13. Captain Marvel (for now)
  14. Dr. Strange
  15. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  16. Thor
  17. Thor: The Dark World
  18. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  19. Iron Man 3
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. The Incredible Hulk

That's what I mean! Heh. You totally "know" someone by their rankings because there's something that stands out as weird. I am not as big a fan of the Guardians movies as the normal MCU fan. As much as I love the world-building, I find the scripts to be weak and poorly services the characters.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Ha, no more shocking that your Guardians rankings.

Here's mine, but I do need to see Captain Marvel at least one more time to hammer it down.

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. Captain America: Civil War
  4. Thor Ragnarok
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  7. Avengers
  8. Black Panther
  9. Iron Man
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  11. Ant-Man
  12. Captain America: The First Avenger
  13. Captain Marvel (for now)
  14. Dr. Strange
  15. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  16. Thor
  17. Thor: The Dark World
  18. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  19. Iron Man 3
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. The Incredible Hulk

Captain America better than Captain Marvel? Holy shit! How awful is this movie?

1. Ragnarok
2. Infinity War
3. Winter Soldier
4. Black Panther
5. Iron Man 3
6. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
7. Avengers
8. Iron Man
9. Civil War
10. Thor 2
11. Homecoming
12. Guardians 1
13. Thor
14. Captain Marvel
15. Hulk
16. Age of Ultron
17. Doctor Strange
18. Iron Man 2
19. Ant-Man
20. First Avenger

Not seen Ant-Man and Wasp yet. I've got Captain Marvel pretty low but it's pretty damn close between that spot and Iron Man in 8, so...

(I'm aware I also have a Thor 2 a lot higher than most people. I dunno. I liked it. And tbh apart from the 80s vibe I thought the early signs of what a lot of people did end up liking about Ragnarok are already there, so I'm not really sure why it's so hated).

58 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Captain America better than Captain Marvel? Holy shit! How awful is this movie?

Wasn't impressed, unlike other people here, but there's a possibility it will improve on a 2nd viewing. 

1. Avengers: Whedon's eternal Yes (& fresh smelling fights)
  2. Cap 2: Winter Soldier.   For the legitimacy.
  3. Guardians 1: most watchable universe ever
  4. Cap3: Civil war. The spectacle.  Aka Black Panther 0.
  5. Thor Ragnarok:   main event status
  6. Infinity War:  a story without a plot, yet damn!
  7. Avengers: Ultron.   Farming and more!   
  8. Thor 1.  When i knew mcu was for real. 
  9. Doctor Strange.  For Dormammu.
  10. Black Panther.  Weird final fight though.
  11. Ironman 3: Formula Buster Armor
  12. Thor 2: Dark Audience Reception.  
  13. Ironman 2:  Crouching Widow, Hidden Hammer.
  14. Antman 1:  It's not how big your movie is, ...
  15. Ironman 1: this movie was big
  16. Captain Marvel:  Captain America 1 for women!
  17. Guardians 2: Ego planet- - circular orbit...and plotlines.
  18. Captain America 1:  that one tank was huge!
  19. Spiderman Homecoming: this is where it belongs.
  20. Antman & Wasp: small interest level
  21. Hulk.  Come on.  Nice leaping though.

I'm really surprised how many people have Hulk last.  I thought it was a very watchable, if unexceptional, Marvel entry.  Ruffalo's Hulk is better than Norton's, but Norton wasn't bad.  Tim Roth was a pretty good villain, right up until he went full Abomination, which was only the final ten minutes anyway. 

William Hurt was also a better (and much less cartoonish) Ross than Sam Elliot.  Of course then he somehow became SOS by Civil War after being disgraced.  That's some serious Trumpian level rewarding of the incompetent and corrupt.

The old hulk casting....

He made me believe he was the guy all this crazy stuff was happening to alright.... I didn't buy into it, though, or appreciate it, or feel the human character's.... pathos?  I wasn't feeling it.  It was like a Marvel cold call, that movie.  I remember berating someone for insisting that I go see it.   Looking back on it now, no super complaints or anything.  It's okay. Only on the bottom because it's most distant in memory, and for the above reasons.  In contrast, the way the new hulk got introduced had me onboard right away.  Is that weird?  Have I gotten easier over the years?

2 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Iron Man 3 has issues, but I really bought into Tony Stark with his PTSD.  I could go on.

I think when you try and recall a movie you haven’t seen in a while, you might remember a snapshot of one bit that overrides your memory of the rest. With Iron Man 3 I remember the PTSD and the crashing in the middle of nowhere, I really liked all that part. But the ending was a let down, and moreover, it just didn’t feel that interesting after you’ve seen Tony as one of the Avengers. I suspect IM3, had it been released in the 90’s, would’ve been raved about. 

They seem to have cottoned onto this now; sequels need a different spin, especially if we’ve seen them in a team up movie. Winter Soldier has a whole different time period and genre on its side, and is a country mile ahead of IM3 and Thor 2 for most people. Then if you do a third movie, you need some other people involved; Ragnarok had Hulk and a fresh director, Civil War has basically everyone.

This is my main worry for the future of the MCU; I care less and less about straight sequels. Looking at the slate for Phase 4 after the cataclysmic events of IW and Endgame, its like, Doctor Strange 2? Spider-Man 2? Guardians 3? Black Panther 2? Meh. Not terrifically excited by any of those. I’m more eager to see Eternals, Shang-Chi, whatever other new ones are coming.

30 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm really surprised how many people have Hulk last.  I thought it was a very watchable, if unexceptional, Marvel entry.  Ruffalo's Hulk is better than Norton's, but Norton wasn't bad.  Tim Roth was a pretty good villain, right up until he went full Abomination, which was only the final ten minutes anyway. 

My problem with the movie is mostly the character, himself. I have a chronic apathy issue with Hulk. I don't find him compelling unless there's a significant enough effort to explore his duality. With him, it's way too tempting for the script to devolve into "Hulk smash" territory. I gotta read the current Hulk series, as I'm hearing some great work is being done with the character.

2 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I think when you try and recall a movie you haven’t seen in a while, you might remember a snapshot of one bit that overrides your memory of the rest. With Iron Man 3 I remember the PTSD and the crashing in the middle of nowhere, I really liked all that part. But the ending was a let down, and moreover, it just didn’t feel that interesting after you’ve seen Tony as one of the Avengers. I suspect IM3, had it been released in the 90’s, would’ve been raved about. 

They seem to have cottoned onto this now; sequels need a different spin, especially if we’ve seen them in a team up movie. Winter Soldier has a whole different time period and genre on its side, and is a country mile ahead of IM3 and Thor 2 for most people. Then if you do a third movie, you need some other people involved; Ragnarok had Hulk and a fresh director, Civil War has basically everyone.

This is my main worry for the future of the MCU; I care less and less about straight sequels. Looking at the slate for Phase 4 after the cataclysmic events of IW and Endgame, its like, Doctor Strange 2? Spider-Man 2? Guardians 3? Black Panther 2? Meh. Not terrifically excited by any of those. I’m more eager to see Eternals, Shang-Chi, whatever other new ones are coming.

I don't really disagree with you all that much with IM3, except I really "liked" seeing the PTSD Tony Stark.  It just felt right, he is just a normal dude in a super suit and seeing that toll really resonated with me. 

I think as long as there is a story to tell, there could be some interest in those sequels.  I hope that Marvel learned a little bit from their more recent forays in the "single super hero" movies is to be bold and experimental.

Wanted to share this quick story...

I just finished up a new patient visit with a 67 year old white woman from Cave City, KY.  (Just to give you the rural vibe too...)  When taking an x-ray, I had her cross her arms in front of her chest and when I did that she totally casually just said "Wakanda Forever."  

:lol: 

On the subject of Hulk and IM3...

One thing I really liked about Hulk was that they did not dwell on his origin story.  Its a lesson they learned well for Spiderman.  When you have a universally known character, just go with it.  

IM3 had several flaws, but it did try new things and I think it deserves credit for that.  I liked the Mandarin being a fake.  For a bit there, it really had a good terrorist state feel to it similar to some episodes of 24.  I think the bigger let down from IM3 is the fact that there was no consequence to the movie.  Tony decided to blow up all the suits... and then Avengers 2 rolls around and theres not even a throwaway line about him being forced to go back into production.  :dunno:  

Archived