MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

6 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I think I know how GRRM would write Endgame if he could....

Pretty sure how he'd write it would entail us waiting many more years for the chance to see Martin's Endgame, all the while there actually is an alternative Endgame available that was completed by objectively inferior writers.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The main thing about whatever solution they go with is that Dr. Strange looked into the future and saw one winning scenario. So I don't see going back in time to defeat Thanos as being that one solution. My theory (don't know if anyone has this) is to use the quantum realms to destroy or alter all the stones reshaping the universe again, with all the snapped people back in it, but with alterations. Not a simple turnaround of how things go. It shouldn't be a return of the status quo.

Agreed - and I could accept the quantum realm repairing the stones; and beating up Thanos to get the knackered gauntlet; so that they could launch a snap of their own. But there could also be a realisation that actually, thanos was right; he just went about it in a crazy, crazy way. Everyone gets unsnapped, but fertility of the dominant species on any planet is reduced significantly (the UTOPIA solution).

11 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

"Remember when you used this putty to make an imprint of a newspaper, like this?   Well the universe does the same thing, only with us.  Nothing is ever lost.  A record of all things exists, and can be found in the imprint this universe makes on the folded dimensions that underlie our reality."  [Folds silly putty in half upon itself so the copy of the news print is hidden.]   "The trick will be digging it out of there intact.   You would need such exacting control over the cosmos.  You'd need the gauntlet."

I'd rather the silly putty explanation for that, than the identical homeopathy explanation.

I watched Avengers 1 again and thought in some ways it was improved quite a bit by Captain Marvel - the background on Fury and one of the incidents that have made them paranoid.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pretty sure Rocket will also be in GotG3. Not to mention killing half the world to bring back the other half is kinda stupid.

It wasn't meant to be actual and if you have read The Monkeys Paw you would remember that it's about unintended consequences, that is what I was going for. 

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Black widow had a film coming out.

I assumed it’d be a prequel. I actually quite like the idea of accidentally reversing the snapped people with unsnapped, and it’s nice to dwell on a theory that isn’t explicitly ruled out by future films (Fury, Peter, Black Panther, Doctor Strange we know appear later, I think that’s it?) ... but yea, highly unlikely it’d be that bleak after the IW ending, and doubtful they’d do GotG without Rocket.

Given the differing lengths of Black Widow’s hair, I’m wondering if they don’t regroup, Captain Marvel arrives, and then they have a stab at defeating Thanos again ... only to discover there’s nothing they can do, the glove can’t unsnap them. Captain Marvel leaves (she isn’t in the group walk at the end), and then many months go by where they’re all miserable as hell. Time for Clint to turn Ronin, time for Widow’s hair to grow, Cap to grow a beard, for Stark and Nebula to get back. Then Plan B: the time travel plan (or something).

Only thing that doesn’t quite line up is Scott turning up while Widow’s hair is still short, I think we all assumed he was super excited about his time travel plan, but he doesn’t have to be. Makes sense that he’d head to Avengers HQ regardless.

I quite like the idea of the first act of the movie being a build up to Thanos Mk2, only for Thanos to be sat there not even putting up a fight. “Kill me if you want, but there’s nothing you can do. The glove is destroyed.”

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Pretty sure how he'd write it would entail us waiting many more years for the chance to see Martin's Endgame, all the while there actually is an alternative Endgame available that was completed by objectively inferior writers.

Oh, you went there!

Another theory I've heard: Captain Marvel and Thor go to Thano's retirement home ready to fight to the death. But instead, Thanos says: take the gauntlet, it doesn't work any more. It's impossible to use the gauntlet or stones to undo what I've done. Even if I had regrets, which I don't, it is done and can't be turned back.

Then Thanos gets to be benched, instead of dead, which means he can come back and potentially even fight on the side of the Avengers, or Captain Marvel or GoTG in a story where he sees balance being preserved by allying himself with them.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

it doesn't work any more. It's impossible to use the gauntlet or stones to undo what I've done. Even if I had regrets, which I don't, it is done and can't be turned back.

I'm struggling to imagine an exciting superhero movie plot based on this, but, as we learned in Thor 2, what we call magic is really just science.  So, couldn't Shuri, Stark, Banner, Vision etc put their collective expertises together and science up a new gauntlet?

15 minutes ago, karaddin said:

That kinda got dropped in Ragnarok though didn't it?

Uhh..quite possibly?  I don't remember.  

I do think the whole magic=science explanation seemed very hand-wavy at the time, but, comic books!  Though Vision's existence alone is clear proof that the power of the stones is compatible with physical sciences.  Not to mention all the other examples of hard and computer science interference and manipulation of the power of the stones throughout the MCU.  

I just realized that when Don Cheadle loses his legs at the end of Civil War, Eagle Man lands to help but Tony blasts him away... Eagle Man was probably the single best Avenger outside of Benedict Cumberpants to help Don Cheadle.

PLOT HOLE!!!!!

FEMINAZIS!

SJW!!!!!!!

Taking a shot at unifying magic and science even now,

maybe the norse gods have a built in capacity for using energy, like their bodies can handle it, the flow of electricity through Thor, Odin mustering the bifrost.  And then their smiths are creating magic "relics" (the term from Dr. Strange) for the gods to further concentrate energies into weapons like mew-mew.   Thor's maturity as a buff asgardian allows him to take off the training wheels and go full powered without the help of a relic, like when you've done a lot of drugs or internet chat and your threshold for those things grows greater.  Same with Thor and electricity.  Now he only needs a relic to take it to the supergod level and fight above his weight.

What Wong calls sorcerous energy or magic power is one of the rare types of energy drawn from other dimensions with different physics, and that's why magic energy can be used to break the rules of our dimension, because it's behaving like another universe and bringing other new possibilities with it.  Applying foreign physics.   But still rooted in physics.   Magic is drawn hence like gold or silver from a mine, and the norse gods can weild it and fully appreciate it like the other energies, savoring it like a fine wine. 

Whereas Wizards' human bodies aren't naturally set up for this energy flow, so they do the funky chicken dance of spellcasting, waving their hands around like a fool to channel only the energy they want, so they don't burn out by having a whole river of energy flow through them.   The durable god can stand in that raging river of magic yet not get as much bang for his buck as the heavily trained wizard who can essentially water ski and do tricks with the magic that the god might secretly envy.  But the god can just shrug off lots of the wizard's attacks and slap him silly.  That's the trade-off.

Archived