MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

6 hours ago, sifth said:

Found this video online earlier today and loved the editing and music; so I felt like sharing. This and the James Gunn news really got me excited for End Game now.

So does that mean don't ask don't tell was in effect in Carol Danvers' military?

Also @ 3:55 Netflix continuity shattered!

25 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So does that mean don't ask don't tell was in effect in Carol Danvers' military?

Did this relate to something in the video I missed or just a separate question? It was in effect at that point IRL yes, whether that needed to be reflected in the movie is a separate question 

34 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Did this relate to something in the video I missed or just a separate question? It was in effect at that point IRL yes, whether that needed to be reflected in the movie is a separate question 

Wait, it went into effect in 1994.  So while it would be in effect in 1995 when most of the movie took place, it would not have been in effect during Danvers' actual Air Force career up to 1989.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wait, it went into effect in 1994.  So while it would be in effect in 1995 when most of the movie took place, it would not have been in effect during Danvers' actual Air Force career up to 1989.

Oh right, I had 95/96 in my head because I was thinking the "present" for the movie time frame. Its pre DADT which means just straight up banned, right? 

Well, there's a whole thing about Carol and Maria being partners,so having to be int he closet regarding their relationship, that being the reason why Monica had to call Carol aunty.

Their relationship is pretty queer baity.

41 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well, there's a whole thing about Carol and Maria being partners,so having to be int he closet regarding their relationship, that being the reason why Monica had to call Carol aunty.

Their relationship is pretty queer baity.

Oh yeah I get its relevance, and I think that could actually have been worked into it really well. I watched a video by Rowan Ellis last night and she called it a case of "romantic coding" rather than "queer coding" for the most part, it still feels queer baity though. Although it also felt a lot like Fried Green Tomatoes which was an attempt at representation rather than queer baiting so it kinda felt like a relic from the period it was set. 

In the video Rowan pointed out that having Maria mourn her partner for 6 years without even letting anyone else know she was mourning makes for more potent drama not less, and thus would have worked really well. It definitely needed to not be open to the military, but it could still be shown in the privacy of their home to the audience.

34 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Oh yeah I get its relevance, and I think that could actually have been worked into it really well. I watched a video by Rowan Ellis last night and she called it a case of "romantic coding" rather than "queer coding" for the most part, it still feels queer baity though. Although it also felt a lot like Fried Green Tomatoes which was an attempt at representation rather than queer baiting so it kinda felt like a relic from the period it was set. 

In the video Rowan pointed out that having Maria mourn her partner for 6 years without even letting anyone else know she was mourning makes for more potent drama not less, and thus would have worked really well. It definitely needed to not be open to the military, but it could still be shown in the privacy of their home to the audience.

LOL, that's the video my son showed me! He watches her stuff regularly.

56 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

LOL, that's the video my son showed me! He watches her stuff regularly.

She's normally so composed in her videos but that frenetic pacing back and forth unable to contain it was amazing

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Also @ 3:55 Netflix continuity shattered!

It's just a fan made trailer, best not to think too much on it, lol

1 minute ago, sifth said:

It's just a fan made trailer, best not to think too much on it, lol

Are you talking DADT or the Netflix continuity being ruined?

Because on the Netflix thing, being fan made is not really relevant.

Big but pleasant surprise to see Gunn is back to do guardians 3 (but after suicide squad 2). Seems to have been deliberately announced on a Sunday to maybe avoid all the crazies getting wind of it and outraged again.

Disney should have never fired him but put him on sabbatical. Still, better late than never to correct a mistake. They probably also realised the third film was going to struggle without him at the helm

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Kind of have to ponder how many 0000’s Disney had to pin on the paycheck to get him to agree to come back

Apparently they had to pin 7 zeros on a cheque when they broke their contract with him at the time he was fired. If he's feeling charitable he might just keep those zeros he got last year, and come back on the original terms of his contract.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Apparently they had to pin 7 zeros on a cheque when they broke their contract with him at the time he was fired. If he's feeling charitable he might just keep those zeros he got last year, and come back on the original terms of his contract.

I think he really loves the franchise so i imagine he wouldn't have resisted too much. But definitely keep the severance money and have some kind of contract that doesn't allow this shit to happen next time he says something about trump. Although i wonder whether he has become less political on social media?  If he has it means the alt-right can still claim a victory.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I think he really loves the franchise so i imagine he wouldn't have resisted too much. But definitely keep the severance money and have some kind of contract that doesn't allow this shit to happen next time he says something about trump. Although i wonder whether he has become less political on social media?  If he has it means the alt-right can still claim a victory.

Yeah, that's the worst thing about the "neutral" commentators. It's not that they disagree with what the artists are saying, it's that they don't want the artists bringing harm to the movies they love talking about. The don't want actors being all uppity, because it can upset the bottom line. If actors start being silenced because there's fear it'll hurt the box office receipts, that's not good. If the actor's career is going to be hurt then that's also not good, but at least the actor saying less to preserve their career is self preservation. Shut up and play basket ball Le Bronn, as the saying goes. Why can't you just smile and look pretty?

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Why?

Yeah, I'm not sure picking (10?) films and tv shows from the last 40 years and making out all's good adds up. Especially when all/majority (?) Of them are by male directors and several are by James Cameron alone (who does have a good track record). It actually highlights how lopsided the industry is. 

I don't think even marvel are kidding themselves to be the first ever - it's pretty hard when wonder woman did the female superhero with female director (no co director either) . But i think marvel were trying mainly to make their first film with a female lead. I don't blame them for letting people make a bigger deal out of it and the fact that the clips in that reel were most of the good examples suggests we are in need of more. Adding res evil and underworld doesn't tip the balance!

Hopefully watching the video doesn't mean i'll get more angry/sarcastic men youtube videos.

Encoraging people to pay for another film yet watch captain marvel is ridiculous. So he wants it to fail because he doesn't like it being marketed as if it's the first female superhero film but still wants to see it? If you're that upset don't watch the fucking film and see the film you spent money on. It's like the butthurt geek who still has to see the film because they want to be fully clued in on endgame.

Archived