MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

HexMachina

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

This isn't about being interesting to a person, though. It it was about being interesting Superman would be a d-lister on my list.

I call her an A because she has consistently been pushed to the frontlines of each big conflict in recent marvel stories and has been among the most prominent Marvel heroes for almost a decade now. The last Civil War was just one example.

I was thinking more of in terms of popularity, and name recognition as to where a character ranks. And I stay by my statement that there’s no way she’s A-list. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I was thinking more of in terms of popularity, and name recognition as to where a character ranks. And I stay by my statement that there’s no way she’s A-list. 

Yeah in that case she is B at most. Wrote something similar in post #56.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Phase 5 is expected to being in 2023 and is rumoured to be the reboot. It'll be 15 years since Iron Man started the MCU and I think the continuity will have peaked at that point and might be threatening to become overwhelming. I also think that Marvel/Disney will want to start exploiting the X-verse characters by that point as well, and you can't really just have them show up en masse in the existing MCU. I think that Iron Man, Captain America etc are also iconic characters they won't want to leave alone for more than a few years.

I still can’t see the argument for a reboot. Cap and Iron Man are popular because they made them popular, and they can do the same thing again with new heroes. Or they can have other characters taking on the mantle (almost certainly where they’re headed with Bucky). It just seems way easier to continue with what they’ve built than to be lumped with the task of recasting the Big Two.

I’d like to see an Avengers concluding Phase 4 where something so awful happens that they outlaw superheroes, and maybe even have the guts to completely clear the slate for a year afterward. Let things breathe for a while, then ... Xavier doesn’t like how things are looking, how bad the world looks without gifted people. So he decides to finally reveal the mutants he’s been schooling all this time in the form of his new team: the X-Men. There’d still be room for the xenophobia toward mutants in this climate where it was illegal to do what they’re doing (with the added wrinkle that they can’t help being what they are to complicate the debate), but the people we know and love from the MCU are still out there and can still be interacted with. Hell, we’ve already seen that you can make a universe with just the X-Men, there’s ample material that you could basically turn the MCU into the XCU. Make them the predominant stars of the universe.

5 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Considering the X-Men are more underground heroes, it's not a huge stretch to have them unknown to the public at large. This is even true in the current continuity.

The X-Men are underground heroes because the public know what mutants are and hate and fear them. This was obviously always an uncomfortable fit in the wider Marvel universe anyway (there's really no reason why the public should distinguish between mutants and any other hero or even know that their powers come from different places) but introducing a mass fear of a group of people we'd never heard of before would make no sense at this point in the MCU.

40 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Think I'll go see Captain Marvel this Sunday before noon. 

Get that early bird discount, and it's usually not that busy during that time frame.

Given the meh reviews from Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns I think I'm pleased I have a free cinema ticket to use. Comments along the lines of "it feels like a film you have to watch in order to see better things in the next film" is worrying. As are claims it's bland and that Captain Marvel is a bit too stoic. I'll wait and see what Kermode says about it but even then I imagine I'll see just because it's probably an Avengers;endgame primer (and who knows - she may be excellent in that with her origin out of the way - in a similar way to how I appreciated Captain America more in the Avengers than his first film). Just a shame it doesn't seem to land with the confidence Black Panther seemed to.

I do wonder if the problem is in the character herself? I've been a marvel comics fan for a long time and for me the most interesting thing about her was that Rogue stole her powers. 

I'm definitely going to see it but my fear was that it was going to be a bit Gen 1 and a lot of the reviews are making it sound like that- perfectly enjoyable, not a bad film by any means, but sticking rigidly to that Marvel template and feeling a bit outdated after films like Ragnarok or Black Panther.

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

Given the meh reviews from Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns I think I'm pleased I have a free cinema ticket to use. Comments along the lines of "it feels like a film you have to watch in order to see better things in the next film" is worrying. As are claims it's bland and that Captain Marvel is a bit too stoic. I'll wait and see what Kermode says about it but even then 1- I imagine I'll see just because it's probably an Avengers; endgame primer (and who knows - she may be excellent in that with her origin out of the way - in a similar way to how I appreciated Captain America more in the Avengers than his first film). Just a shame it doesn't seem to land with the confidence Black Panther seemed to.

I do wonder if the problem is in the character herself? I've been a marvel comics fan for a long time and for me the most interesting thing about her was that Rogue stole her powers. 

Blah.  I used the last of my free tickets to see Creed II.  It's gonna be awhile before I save up enough points for any more. Still, even if it turns out to be a mediocre movie, $6.45 isn't too bad.

1- The same reason I watched Ant Man and the Wasp on Netflix.

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

I saw it tonight, went in knowing almost nothing about the character, the Kree or the Skrulls and I enjoyed the hell out of it, Will be taking the kids on the weekend and certainly not upset about seeing it a second time.

That's just you vagina talking. The movie is a PoS and should never have been made. I haven't seen it yet but I know this to be true because the internet told me it was so several months ago, and the reviews have proven it because it's not a 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes, and we all know the only good MCU movies are 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes. Except for Black Panther, that got points just because it a BLM propaganda that the beta cuck movie reviewers were forced to say good things about it because it was a "cultural moment" and Disney.

/s

49 minutes ago, red snow said:

Given the meh reviews from Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns I think I'm pleased I have a free cinema ticket to use. Comments along the lines of "it feels like a film you have to watch in order to see better things in the next film" is worrying. As are claims it's bland and that Captain Marvel is a bit too stoic. I'll wait and see what Kermode says about it but even then I imagine I'll see just because it's probably an Avengers;endgame primer (and who knows - she may be excellent in that with her origin out of the way - in a similar way to how I appreciated Captain America more in the Avengers than his first film). Just a shame it doesn't seem to land with the confidence Black Panther seemed to.

Lol, second time this thread. I think this has almost reached meme threshold.

Stuckman's review was definitely meh, he still gave it a C, which is a pass-mark. The sense I got from him was disappointed that it wasn't all that it could be, but not a bad movie. I watched the first minute of his Venom review, and he thought that movie SUCKED! and I liked it. So if I use a completely statistically insignificant sample size of 1, if he thinks Venom sucked and I liked it, then if the thinks Captain Marvel is meh, that might mean I will like it quite a lot. 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Maybe, but you could argue the same for most of the MCU Origin films outside of Captain America and Hulk.

36 minutes ago, red snow said:

As a marvelhead kid I didn’t have much interest in her either but neither did the company, they only seemed to want to publish her at all to maintain their Marvel trademark in a character name. Chris Claremont seems to be the one mostly responsible for her sporadic development in the 80s and she hardly appeared in the 90s.

When they revamped her in the 2010s and she got the Captain moniker, it was a much more interesting character, especially the Kelly Sue DeConnick stuff.  The Margaret Stohl retcon (that she’s half Kree) is annoying, like all retcons, but it does make more sense than she was standing near a male superhero in an explosion. Hopefully the film version is better than either of those.

Ive read stuff about how this is just Marvel reaching for a Wonder Woman equivalent to garner the good will of a female led movie, which is probably partly true, but the difference there is that Captain Marvel is currently the most powerful hero on the Marvel roster, which has never been true of WW for DC.

25 minutes ago, john said:

but the difference there is that Captain Marvel is currently the most powerful hero on the Marvel roster

I'll be happy as long as she gets to punch the shit out of Thanos at least once in Endgame.

With his reaction being somewhere along the lines of " What the FUf** just happened!?" (told through his facial expression)

4 minutes ago, john said:

As a marvelhead kid I didn’t have much interest in her either but neither did the company, they only seemed to want to publish her at all to maintain their Marvel trademark in a character name. Chris Claremont seems to be the one mostly responsible for her sporadic development in the 80s and she hardly appeared in the 90s.

When they revamped her in the 2010s and she got the Captain moniker, it was a much more interesting character, especially the Kelly Sue DeConnick stuff.  The Margaret Stohl retcon (that she’s half Kree) is annoying, like all retcons, but it does make more sense than she was standing near a male superhero in an explosion. Hopefully the film version is better than either of those.

Ive read stuff about how this is just Marvel reaching for a Wonder Woman equivalent to garner the good will of a female led movie, which is probably partly true, but the difference there is that Captain Marvel is currently the most powerful hero on the Marvel roster, which has never been true of WW for DC.

Marvel did announce Captain Marvel before DC really had a solid plan for Wonder Woman, and certainly before what we got for Wonder Woman was anywhere near the public eye. So people saying Captain Marvel is a response to Wonder Woman aren't really remembering things quite right. I'm guessing Marvel thought it had 5 years before Wonder Woman would make it on screen so that's why they put Captain Marvel as a 2019 movie. End of the day it sounds like the movie proper could have been released at any time in the last 3 or 4 years without upsetting the bigger picture story. But WB caught them unawares and brought out Wonder Woman quicker than Marvel thought.

I kind of don't like the claim that Captain Marvel is the most powerful hero in the MCU. Thor without Mjolnir / Stormbreaker can beat up Hulk in a fist fight, not convinced Captain Marvel could do that. And with either of those weapons he's, he can do the pew-pew stuff and flying as well. I guess if you say they're equal it still technically means she's the most powerful...along with Thor.

When it comes down to it, I kind of expect Thor and Carol to tag team Thano's arse in endgame.

I find the complaints from the incel crowd about how often she's been rebooted in the comics to be hilarious for two reasons

1. Marvel comics fans complaining about reboots

2. Compared to most of the current MCU lineup she's probably had a low number of retcons/reboots. I mean, my god, the changes Hulk and Iron Man have gone through alone.

19 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I kind of don't like the claim that Captain Marvel is the most powerful hero in the MCU. Thor without Mjolnir / Stormbreaker can beat up Hulk in a fist fight, not convinced Captain Marvel could do that. And with either of those weapons he's, he can do the pew-pew stuff and flying as well. I guess if you say they're equal it still technically means she's the most powerful...along with Thor.

I actually meant all of Marvel, including the comics, so we might be even further apart than you think. :P 

Yeah, I guess you’re right, Thor can sort of do all the stuff she can, plus he can make his own rainbow bridges these days.  OK, but what about strategic thinking?  She’s got those military/alien warrior smarts. But all right, let’s say she’s arguably the strongest hero on the roster.

7 minutes ago, john said:

I actually meant all of Marvel, including the comics, so we might be even further apart than you think. :P 

That's a really big claim. But I don't have enough comic knowledge to really argue one way or the other. It might depend how you define hero? Is Franklin Richards a hero? Mind control power is kinda OP compared to all other power, so on the one hand Prof X can stop anyone in their tracks with his mind control. OTOH, if you want to stop him from mind controlling you, you put on Magneto's helmet.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Personally, I loved a lot of what Busiek and Perez were doing with the character when they re-lauched Avengers after Heroes Reborn...that's, to my mind, where her renaissance really began...

Mind you, I loked the character going way back regardless...

Archived