Jump to content
HelenaExMachina

MCUniverse - Nick hath no Fury like an MRA troll

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Oh boy have I got some bad news for you about how damn old the kids are getting these days

Guys, Brie Larson graduated high school like ten years ago. The star of this movie is too young to appreciate the 90s. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john said:

Guys, Brie Larson graduated high school like ten years ago. The star of this movie is too young to appreciate the 90s. :(

Why would you do this? That was an unwarranted escalation omg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Oh boy have I got some bad news for you about how damn old the kids are getting these days.

Eh. As long as they don't make a mess on the lawn I tend to ignore them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Bollocks to that, musically it fit the tempo of the fight scene and thematically it fit where the movie was at. 

Seems some "fair and balanced" reviewers might be trying to find places where they can safely criticise girl power elements to appease the MRAs but at the same time not piss off everyone else at their appeasement of the MRA trolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

Seems some "fair and balanced" reviewers might be trying to find places where they can safely criticise girl power elements to appease the MRAs but at the same time not piss off everyone else at their appeasement of the MRA trolls.

I'm going to be charitable and think they actually missed the thematic resonance of it, since the Vox review/the last few years have shown me that plenty of people will complain about things that they just missed. If they simply laser focused on the "girl power" part of the song it would be easy to miss the context that made it fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to see this tomorrow ... I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it, as the MCU tends to make good movies... since its an origin story, I doubt it will be "Winter Soldier, Ragnarok" good.... But Marvel has a way of making movies that transcend the genre and make you lean in... Ant-Man-Heist flick, ... Ragnarok, Buddy cop flick.... Winter Soldier, political thriller.... Spiderman homecoming, a coming of age story... sure they drop the ball sometimes, but mostly they get it right

I'll post again tomorrow to give a review...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I need to watch Ragnarok again, wasn't a big fan of it when I saw it. Winter Soldier otoh was instant happiness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I guess I need to watch Ragnarok again, wasn't a big fan of it when I saw it. Winter Soldier otoh was instant happiness. 

Ragnarok is probably my favourite marvel outside of any of the Russo brothers movies, I think it’s occasionaly hilarious and captures the bright colourful look that I wanted to see in marvel movies with a playful creativity.

Having said that, it’s plot tends to fall into standard MCU territory with a big battle at the end and a leering villain that doesn’t tend to have much of a motivation outside of destroying stuff.

its not perfect but it’s a step above most MCU movies.

Im watching Captain Marvel soon, so I’m hoping it isn’t as bland as many people have described it as being

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think maybe the MCU could start having movies named something other than the hero or The Avengers? It seems quite constraining now. Like everything has to either be about one person or ‘the team up’. It’d be good if they could just have movies about any subset of people. Maybe instead of Thor 4, a general space movie where it was like “OK, Thor’s in it, the Guardians, Captain Marvel, a few others, and it’s called “............” Civil War was the closest we had but it was still obliged to be ultimately about Steve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed Captain Marvel. I was disappointed with some of the decisions which have long term consequences. But I'll live with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dbunting said:

I guess I need to watch Ragnarok again, wasn't a big fan of it when I saw it. Winter Soldier otoh was instant happiness. 

Winter soldier is still my favourite. Infinity wars is good but that has 20 odd films of build-up/payoff. Winter soldier is simply a done in one superhero thriller eg Jack Ryan/jason bourne with superpowers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, red snow said:

Winter soldier is still my favourite. Infinity wars is good but that has 20 odd films of build-up/payoff. Winter soldier is simply a done in one superhero thriller eg Jack Ryan/jason bourne with superpowers

I'd say the Russo Brothers are SO far ahead of all the others in terms of being able to make large scale comic book movies, that work for children and adults. Winter Soldier is maybe the best comic book movie around (I'm changing my mind on Dark Knight these days) and both Civil War and Infinity War do amazing jobs of putting all those heroes together and creating a coherent and compelling narrative. If I was Marvel I would be locking the Russos into 50 year contracts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Winter Soldier is maybe the best comic book movie around (I'm changing my mind on Dark Knight these days) 

Blaspheme!  I really like Winter Soldier - although the end sequence makes no sense and is excessively stupid - but just no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DMC said:

Blaspheme!  I really like Winter Soldier - although the end sequence makes no sense and is excessively stupid - but just no.

Lol, ok I'd say it was between Winter Soldier and Dark Knight.. maybe I'll push Raimi Spidey 2 in there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

The best comic book film is The Rocketeer. :p

Don't be ridiculous.  The best comic book film is clearly Akira. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

The best comic book film is The Rocketeer. :p

You're obviously meant The Shadow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, but why do you think that so many of the best comic book movies fall apart (or at least underachieve) in the final third of the movie?  Because I feel like I would definitely say that about Winter Soldier, Dark Knight, Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Akira, GotG, etc.  Now, those are all still good movies, but they could have been something great, and they all couldn't quite stick the landing.  Considering the upper tier of comic book movies, the only ones that really delivered would be the first Avengers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Slightly off topic, but why do you think that so many of the best comic book movies fall apart (or at least underachieve) in the final third of the movie?  Because I feel like I would definitely say that about Winter Soldier, Dark Knight, Black Panther, Wonder Woman, Akira, GotG, etc.  Now, those are all still good movies, but they could have been something great, and they all couldn't quite stick the landing.  Considering the upper tier of comic book movies, the only ones that really delivered would be the first Avengers. 

Infinity war stuck the landing, IMO. I think that Spider-Verse did too. Arguably Civil War did as well (especially since the big battle was NOT the end of the movie). I also thought the first Avengers ending was kind of garbage, but to each their own. 

I think what Infinity War does well and what almost none of the others did is end up with consequences and danger. The end result is always 'end of the world', and naturally we think that they will win and survive for sequels, so it's not about worrying about the risk to the people, it's simply a by-the-numbers on how they will stop the Bad Thing. 

IW made it different by, well, failing. Spider-Verse did it by having the ending be more about the personal growth of the characters, not the wham-bang of the finale. (BP almost did this, and if they had focused more on opening up Wakanda instead of the fight, I think they could have made it better). Essentially every superhero movie has prequel syndrome, where you know that the characters aren't going to die, the world isn't going to blow up, and things are going back to status quo, so there's nothing to worry about. Wonder Woman obviously has this in spades, as it was literally a prequel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×