Historical parallels with real kings for targaryens?

silversnake33

Dany, a mix of Cleopatra, Dido (quasi-historic), Elizabeth I, Philip of Macedonia/Alexander

Cersei, Margaret of Anjou, Isabella of France, and Elizabeth Wydeville (worst traits of)

Sansa/Margaery, Isabella of France and Elizabeth of York (better traits of)

Jon Snow, Lord Byron, Augustus, St. Florian

Stannis, Napoleon in Russia, Philip IV of France

Some elements of Jacques de Molay with the arrest and execution of Ned 

9 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Nah Dany is Liu Bei.

Aegon II is Stephen

Gosh I haven't even begun to imagine all the possible connections to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and all the characters within it.

You're right. Taking care of the people and all that.

Dynasty Warriors comes flooding back. 

9 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Dany, a mix of Cleopatra, Dido (quasi-historic), Elizabeth I, Philip of Macedonia/Alexander

Cersei, Margaret of Anjou, Isabella of France, and Elizabeth Wydeville (worst traits of)

Sansa/Margaery, Isabella of France and Elizabeth of York (better traits of)

Jon Snow, Lord Byron, Augustus, St. Florian

Stannis, Napoleon in Russia, Philip IV of France

Some elements of Jacques de Molay with the arrest and execution of Ned 

Actually, Stannis also has elements of Richard III. Both men were talented military leaders, misunderstood and vilified by the general population, accused of trying to usurp their nephews, etc

Viserys I: Henry I of England. Unexpected heirs of their country, who ruled the country for several decades, with their deaths sparking a civil war over the right to rule between his designated heir (Rhaenyra for Viserys, Matilda for Henry I) and his closest male relation (Aegon II for Viserys, Stephen of Blois for Henry) that led to a civil war (The Dance of the Dragons, the Anarchy) that ended in his female heir's son on the throne (Aegon III, Henry II). 

Princess/Queen Rhaenyra:

• Matilda, Empress of Rome. The surviving heir of her father (see above) who challenged a male heir for the throne, leading to civil war that ended with her eldest surviving son on the throne. The main difference is that Matilda died peacefully while her son was still king, while Rhaenyra died violently.
  • Mary Queen of Scots. Tried to gain the throne of her ancestors, executed, but her son became the next ruler. (Some) of her descendants were deposed and exiled.

Aegon II: Stephen of Blois. Seized power with the help of several noble families when the previous king died, starting off a civil war. Despite holding the crown, he was unable to pass it to his offspring, leading to his rival's son gaining the throne.

Daeron I the Young Dragon: Richard I Lionheart. The son of a King who gained the throne after civil war, known and romanticized for his martial exploits in a desert region. Died by violence leaving no heirs, leading to his brother's reign, a brother with... questionable reputation.

Duncan the Small, Prince of Dragonflies: Edward VIII. Abdicated his position in the line of succession to marry a woman below his station.

House Stark: 

Eddard Stark: 

• Richard Plantagenet, Duke of York. Clashed with the Queen of a weak King (Cersei Lannister/Margaret of Anjou), leading to his death. His son (Robb is an analogue for the younger Edward IV, see below) marches to war to avenge him and becomes King in his own right.
  • William Hastings. A close friend of a warrior king (Robert Baratheon is an analogue for the older Edward IV) who sought to remove his friend's children from the line of succession because he was suspicious that they were bastards, summoning one of the king's brothers to take the throne instead. Despite Hastings succeeding where Ned failed, they were both arrested and executed on short notice.
  • George VI of England. A second son with a more charismatic, womanizing elder brother. Came to rule under unforeseen circumstances and almost immediately had to lead their country through a war. Shy and retiring, dealt with insecurity about their positions, but were popular rulers. Happily married and sired two daughters that were of very different dispositions.

Catelyn Stark, nee Tully: 

• Cecily, Duchess of York. Wife of Richard Duke of York, she was known from her proud disposition and devoted themselves to their children, one of which was physically infirm (Richard III had scoliosis, Bran was paralyzed). Ties with her eldest surviving son (Robb/Edward IV) were damaged when he broke a betrothal to marry a minor noblewoman. Both outlived (or think they outlived in Catelyn's case) most of their offspring.

Robb Stark:

• Edward IV (the younger years). Marched to war to avenge his father, becoming king. Alienated a powerful opponent or two in breaking a betrothal and marrying a woman on the other side of the war. The difference is that Edward got lucky, while Robb was killed by his traitorous bannerman.
  • William Wallace. Led a rebellion of the northern half of a kingdom against a stern, cold ruler (Tywin Lannister/Edward I), much as the North is an analogue to the northern parts of Britain like Scotland and Southern England is much like the Westerlands). Betrayed by an ally and killed in gruesome fashion, with their corpse put on display in pieces.

7 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Gosh I haven't even begun to imagine all the possible connections to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and all the characters within it.

You're right. Taking care of the people and all that.

Dynasty Warriors comes flooding back. 

Hell yea!

Liu Bei allowing the civilians to travel with him and his army to the dismay of his generals is very similar to Dany in Slavers Bay.

Theyre also the scion of a few hundred year old dynasty, their ancestors last hope. They call themselves Dragons, and while Dany birthed dragons Liu Bei woke the sleeping dragon. They grew up poor but became a powerful regal all while remaining a good (semi good lol) person, they also had some marriage troubles.

And my favorite similarity, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu are Liu Beis "brother". Though they share no blood they will follow each other forever and would seek to die the same day. Thats totally like Aggo and Danys other bloodriders.

Speaking of three kingdoms. Sun Ce is Robb Stark. Son of a famous and powerful dead lord, descended from an ancient hero (Bran the Builder and Sun Tzu) they went south to save their mothers brother and carved out a kingdom there. They both had cool nicknames that described their youth and astonishing battleskill. Lastly they died before their time, so young that there was no child to take over and had to pass their seat to their younger sibiling. Younger and far more famous.

That's 2 out of 3. My mans Cao Cao seems like Tywin but hes too low birth, conquered too much, too conniving and machiavellian. Id say Cao Cao is more like Littlefinger then Tywin (that chaos line screams Cao), though he was hated and feared and "Hand of the king" for many years of prosperity and growth.

Lol Dynasty Warriors. God bless PlayStation

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

Hell yea!

Liu Bei allowing the civilians to travel with him and his army to the dismay of his generals is very similar to Dany in Slavers Bay.

Theyre also the scion of a few hundred year old dynasty, their ancestors last hope. They call themselves Dragons, and while Dany birthed dragons Liu Bei woke the sleeping dragon. They grew up poor but became a powerful regal all while remaining a good (semi good lol) person, they also had some marriage troubles.

And my favorite similarity, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu are Liu Beis "brother". Though they share no blood they will follow each other forever and would seek to die the same day. Thats totally like Aggo and Danys other bloodriders.

Speaking of three kingdoms. Sun Ce is Robb Stark. Son of a famous and powerful dead lord, descended from an ancient hero (Bran the Builder and Sun Tzu) they went south to save their mothers brother and carved out a kingdom there. They both had cool nicknames that described their youth and astonishing battleskill. Lastly they died before their time, so young that there was no child to take over and had to pass their seat to their younger sibiling. Younger and far more famous.

That's 2 out of 3. My mans Cao Cao seems like Tywin but hes too low birth, conquered too much, too conniving and machiavellian. Id say Cao Cao is more like Littlefinger then Tywin (that chaos line screams Cao), though he was hated and feared and "Hand of the king" for many years of prosperity and growth.

Lol Dynasty Warriors. God bless PlayStation

The Cao Cao, LF connection is awesome.

Can't believe I have never seen the comparison before now.

Tywin is more of a Dong Zhuo to me.

There are others - less convincing but too fun to ignore. Barristan and Huang Zhong? Am I right or am I right? LMAO

Lu Bu and The Mountain.

God I could go on for ages.

Amen, God bless the Playstation.

40 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

The Cao Cao, LF connection is awesome.

So awesome lol

Can't believe I have never seen the comparison before now.

You'll never look at Danys bloodriders the same, thats practically Zhang Fei being held prisoner by the Yunaki!

Tywin is more of a Dong Zhuo to me.

Maybe, Dong Zhuo seemed like a fool to me though. Id say hes more like mad Aerys, and a little bit of fat Robert. After all, his death is what started the Romance, like Aerys/Roberts death started the Song

There are others - less convincing but too fun to ignore. Barristan and Huang Zhong? Am I right or am I right? LMAO

Lol, yea thats not bad. The white beard helps but yea, both famous warriors thought pasy their prime to the disappointment of their adversaries.

Lu Bu and The Mountain.

Im not sure about this one. (Imagine that fight though!) While theyre both pathetic and feared, Gregors not cool enough to be Lu Bu lol.

If anything the rash, hot headed, feared general who thinks with his dick, is Jaime. He swore to defend Dong Zhou, his own "father"! If thats not a Kingslayer then I dont know what is

42 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

God I could go on for ages.

Yea man, lets keep it going. 

Yuan Shu is Renly? Younger brother (though I think Shu was older but the son of a concubine, not a wife) who thought he could take the throne against all logic and dies relatively quickly, though if he just added his strength to his brothers then the carnage and civil wars to follow would have been much shorter.

But does that make Stannis Yuan Shao? Lol I hope not

9 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

So awesome lol

You'll never look at Danys bloodriders the same, thats practically Zhang Fei being held prisoner by the Yunaki!

Maybe, Dong Zhuo seemed like a fool to me though. Id say hes more like mad Aerys, and a little bit of fat Robert. After all, his death is what started the Romance, like Aerys/Roberts death started the Song

Lol, yea thats not bad. The white beard helps but yea, both famous warriors thought pasy their prime to the disappointment of their adversaries.

Im not sure about this one. (Imagine that fight though!) While theyre both pathetic and feared, Gregors not cool enough to be Lu Bu lol.

If anything the rash, hot headed, feared general who thinks with his dick, is Jaime. He swore to defend Dong Zhou, his own "father"! If thats not a Kingslayer then I dont know what is

Yea man, lets keep it going. 

Yuan Shu is Renly? Younger brother (though I think Shu was older but the son of a concubine, not a wife) who thought he could take the throne against all logic and dies relatively quickly, though if he just added his strength to his brothers then the carnage and civil wars to follow would have been much shorter.

But does that make Stannis Yuan Shao? Lol I hope not

I'm going to have to re-read some folks - but based solely off of Koei physical traits (shameful I know), Xiahou Dun could be Euron.

Dian Wei could be Gerold Hightower, maybe.

This is harder than I thought but fun.

3 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I'm going to have to re-read some folks - but based solely off of Koei physical traits (shameful I know), 

Lol, still better then using HBO to describe asoiaf characters

Xiahou Dun could be Euron.

Dian Wei could be Gerold Hightower, maybe.

I like it, Hightower more then Euron.

This is harder than I thought but fun.

How about this? Its not a character.... But its a wall. Not just any wall, but a great wall lol. 

2 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Lol, still better then using HBO to describe asoiaf characters

I like it, Hightower more then Euron.

How about this? Its not a character.... But its a wall. Not just any wall, but a great wall lol. 

Last one for the night.

Gan Ning = Salladhor Saan

1 minute ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Last one for the night.

Gan Ning = Salladhor Saan

Ill be here tomorrow lol

Lol if only. My boy Gan Ning was a beast!

So a few years back I decided to watch a video explaining three kingdoms on YouTube. Instead I stumbled across 90 something episodes of a Chinese TV show from 2010. It is amazing. I think its still on youtube. It doesnt have characters like Gan Ning and Dian Wei, for that I recommend the actual book, but still that show. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived