Season 8 Official Trailer Released

Westeros

So who is that on the ship in the gold armor? I assume it's whomever is leading The Golden Company. Harry Strickland? A composite character? I've also assumed that Aegon/Young Griff has been adapted out.

The two scenes with Cersei also intrigue me. The first one she is her usual smirking self while the second one she is drinking with tears in her eyes. I've thought since the season 7 finale that she Euron and The Golden Company would betray her and take over King's Landing. 

ETA: When Arya says" I know death, he has many faces" they happen show Varys looking frightened. This could be a coincidence, but I've suspected that Show!Varys is a Faceless Man and in fact Syrio Forel. Again, just could be coincidence but I'd love if it's a hint.

5 minutes ago, Trebla said:

So who is that on the ship in the gold armor? I assume it's whomever is leading The Golden Company. Harry Strickland? A composite character? I've also assumed that Aegon/Young Griff has been adapted out.

I'm pretty sure its Harry Strickland. He's the only person from the Golden Company whose we know has been cast. I wonder if he will have the sword Blackfyre. 

30 minutes ago, Trebla said:

The two scenes with Cersei also intrigue me. The first one she is her usual smirking self while the second one she is drinking with tears in her eyes. I've thought since the season 7 finale that she Euron and The Golden Company would betray her and take over King's Landing. 

My theory at the end of season 7 was that Jon Con could still be put in as leader of the GC, and his relationship with Rhaegar can still be part of his background. He then betrays Cersei in favor of Jon Snow once he finds out who Jon is. I have no idea what character was cast for the leader.

It could be just Daario in the end, pretending to be someone else, and then turning on Cersei at the right moment.

41 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

My theory at the end of season 7 was that Jon Con could still be put in as leader of the GC, and his relationship with Rhaegar can still be part of his background. He then betrays Cersei in favor of Jon Snow once he finds out who Jon is. I have no idea what character was cast for the leader.

It could be just Daario in the end, pretending to be someone else, and then turning on Cersei at the right moment.

I hadn't noted it before, but a guy named Marc Rissman (from The Last Kingdom and The Man in the High Castle) has been cast as Harry Strickland. Looking at the guy, it's almost definitely him that they show the back of on the ship in the trailer. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4704928/

25 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I hadn't noted it before, but a guy named Marc Rissman (from The Last Kingdom and The Man in the High Castle) has been cast as Harry Strickland. Looking at the guy, it's almost definitely him that they show the back of on the ship in the trailer. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4704928/

Yeah, it's definitely that actor. Ok, I guess, but he looks more like Griff than what I pictured for Strickland. Then again, at this point it's probably not worth trying to compare the books with the show anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah, it's definitely that actor. Ok, I guess, but he looks more like Griff than what I pictured for Strickland. Then again, at this point it's probably not worth trying to compare the books with the show anymore. 

It's very possible that Show!Harry is condensed with another character: Jon Connington or maybe even Young Griff. They could maybe make him descended from the Blackfyres from the female line. 

I’m so unimpressed. The dragons look great as always, and if I rewind twice at maximum brightness, I can get a vague idea about what’s happening on screen. Great.

Other than that, all I get is Lotr vibes. Good versus evil, doom comes for mankind in the shape of hundreds of thousands of evil creatures, king Jon marches his army to the black gate, people flee to helms deep front destruction, faithful sidekicks stand still in front of the army, Cersei is even starting to look like Sméagol. 

I don’t know what Arya is running from, but it feels like James Bond just fell apart with a loaded gun in his belt during his hundredth mission in England because Silva’s chasing him without his cyanide dentures and he looks scary. She has a Valyrian steel weapon, she’s a practiced assassin with supernatural experiences, she was specifically trained to fight in the dark, she had lived to see three quarters of her family die and she is pretty much invincible. I don’t get it. 

And if Jon and/or Daenerys don’t die, I’ll flip out. How long are we going to try to make fetch happen and beat the dead horse this terribly acted, weird, disgustingly cliche romance is? 

I've seen through their tricks before, some of you have too:

Nothing actually happens in this trailer.  It's just a bunch of reaction shots from the now-celebrity actors, "showing off These Performances and These Faces". 

We do see the dragons arriving at Winterfell, but really the only big thing we didn't see already was the Golden Company on a Greyjoy ship.

Lena Headey is repeatedly called upon to display her "Kuleshov Effect" face.  They're intentionally giving actors scenes with no dialogue and saying "make a Concerned Face" and the audience reads all sorts of emotions into it.  Since Season 5 particularly, it's...sort of a "sad, concerned" face, not so much angry...even as she's doing terrible things.  This "soft sad" face.  Really it's just showing off that Lena Headey is capable of mugging that face on command.

Yes, the production values are high, yes, the music was swelling.  It was a well edited trailer.  But what if anything did we see new from a story perspective?  Remember how good Season 5 looked in its trailers?

I look forward to Season 8 because everyone still praising Benioff & Weiss will be shattered with disillusionment - just as they were in Season 7.

I'm seeing so many op/eds lately saying...I mean adamantly believing, "the final season will be great because it HAS to be great"....that's...cult-level Denial.  Ever hear of the Sunk Cost Fallacy?

(a few hours ago I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread)

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m so unimpressed. The dragons look great as always, and if I rewind twice at maximum brightness, I can get a vague idea about what’s happening on screen. Great.

I'm seeing a lot of people complain about the brightness.  I understand that it's a night battle, but...even Helm's Deep managed to keep everything visible, despite taking place at night in a driving rainstorm.  I don't know.

Impressive.

The first frame of Arya. I'm not quite sure where she is. The fact that she is that frightened, bloody and hiding tells me that something went horribly wrong. And for her to be super-confident facing the army of the dead.....I don't know. Things took a hard left turn. I also can't tell if she is in the Red Keep or Winterfell.

I'm really looking forward to the role of Melisandre and Euron in the endgame.

4 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I've seen through their tricks before, some of you have too:

Nothing actually happens in this trailer.  It's just a bunch of reaction shots from the now-celebrity actors, "showing off These Performances and These Faces". 

We do see the dragons arriving at Winterfell, but really the only big thing we didn't see already was the Golden Company on a Greyjoy ship.

Lena Headey is repeatedly called upon to display her "Kuleshov Effect" face.  They're intentionally giving actors scenes with no dialogue and saying "make a Concerned Face" and the audience reads all sorts of emotions into it.  Since Season 5 particularly, it's...sort of a "sad, concerned" face, not so much angry...even as she's doing terrible things.  This "soft sad" face.  Really it's just showing off that Lena Headey is capable of mugging that face on command.

Yes, the production values are high, yes, the music was swelling.  It was a well edited trailer.  But what if anything did we see new from a story perspective?  Remember how good Season 5 looked in its trailers?

I look forward to Season 8 because everyone still praising Benioff & Weiss will be shattered with disillusionment - just as they were in Season 7.

I'm seeing so many op/eds lately saying...I mean adamantly believing, "the final season will be great because it HAS to be great"....that's...cult-level Denial.  Ever hear of the Sunk Cost Fallacy?

(a few hours ago I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread)

I think it's because we've been in non-book territory since about season five.  The first several seasons they could show things in the trailers and give a little wink wink to the reader fans of the show.  That's not really possible any more, and so the goal is probably more to avoid giving away anything since basically none of us has any idea how the fuck this is all gonna end.

Interesting things I noticed:

- It looks as though Jaime is fighting with his right hand

- Arya is running through the Red Keep, mirroring S1 (the crypts don't have windows)

- In the battle sequence, it sounds as though Jaime is shouting "run", but he is actually shouting "Bronn"

- There is definitely a smattering of paws among the hooves 

Archived