Season 8 Official Trailer Released

Westeros

8 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Wights were very difficult to kill in season 1 when Jon fought Othor, but last season during the wight hunt, it was comically easy. They're not shooting for consistency here. Can't be sure the blood in Arya's fight scene means anything.

Back in season 1, they didn’t know how to kill wights. They did in season 7 and were equipped with the necessary weapons, so of course it was easier.

1 hour ago, Dragon in the North said:

Back in season 1, they didn’t know how to kill wights. They did in season 7 and were equipped with the necessary weapons, so of course it was easier.

13:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqOf0qI2H4

23 hours ago, Cridefea said:

Indeed. This is the reason I said it's related to someone she loves. 

Perhaps she just witnessed something happen to someone she cares about. The fact that she's hiding at one point, inside the castle running to the Great Hall... why? Is there something she's trying to get to? The tunnels in the crypts should be how they all eventually escape. Yet we see Arya up in the castle instead. Hmm.

A lot of people keep mentioning that they will probably escape threw the tunnels in the crypts but I don't think that exist in the show. I haven't read the books but I would think if there was a tunnel to escape bran and rikkon would have used that route when winter fell was taken over by theon. rikkon was down there exploring with his dog so if there was an exit I feel like he would have known.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:59 PM, briantw said:

So no one really talks about this, but is Sam gonna be pissed that Dany BBQ'd his brother?  I doubt he'd give a shit about his dad, because who would, but Dickon wasn't a bad kid.

She could explain that he basically volunteered to die. Also, now that he knows Jon is heir to the iron throne he can expect to inherit his family title, so long as he gets a pardon for abandoning the all but defunct Night's Watch. 

On 3/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, The Sword of the LongNight said:

A lot of people keep mentioning that they will probably escape threw the tunnels in the crypts but I don't think that exist in the show. I haven't read the books but I would think if there was a tunnel to escape bran and rikkon would have used that route when winter fell was taken over by theon. rikkon was down there exploring with his dog so if there was an exit I feel like he would have known.

Might not Theon have known about the escape tunnels and had them guarded or blocked? Remember, the guy from whom they escaped lived most of his life in Winterfell.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, darmody said:

Might not Theon have known about the escape tunnels and had them guarded or blocked? Remember, the guy from whom they escaped lived most of his life in Winterfell.

Maybe , but also I forgot when theon was surrounded by Ramsey, maester luwin mentioned the tunnels to escape so theon could get to the wall and join the nights watch. It didn't seem like theon knew about them then but who knows for sure he did live there. 

Yeop at least it will be an ending at all.

I wasn't a fan of the last 2-3 seasons, but I gotta admit the trailer made look forward to the conclusion of the show. It looks like an epic last stand against the oncoming darkness, and well, I like story lines like that. If the last books are released I'm hoping for something similar (if more complicated) to happen there as well.

I'm intrigued especially by the scene of Cersei crying alone in the throne room. It looks like she's wearing one of her wrap dresses from the earlier seasons...would be interesting if that is the case and whether it means something. I disliked the way the show portrayed Cersei's rise and reign, but maybe they can at least pull a decent payoff to the whole piece of reeking dung that was her storyline last season...

3 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

A good ending isn't climatic. 

There are many good endings in all kinds of fiction that are "climactic" so....false.

4 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I disliked the way the show portrayed Cersei's rise and reign

This may not be the thread for me to talk about this but I agree, her rise to the Iron Throne felt especially rushed and unrealistic. To be fair, it was the season finale, but realistically a lot of people would object to Cersei seizing the Iron Throne without a Great Council -- especially after blowing up the Great Sept and killing the regent, the queen, and indirectly the king, all on a religious holiday. With these factors in mind, the Estermonts - as relatives of both House Baratheon and House Targaryen - have a better chance of ruling the Seven Kingdoms than Cersei does.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:59 AM, The Sword of the LongNight said:

Maybe , but also I forgot when theon was surrounded by Ramsey, maester luwin mentioned the tunnels to escape so theon could get to the wall and join the knights watch. It didn't seem like theon knew about them then but who knows for sure he did live there. 

As I remember the crypt was rarely visited by strangers both in the books and in the show.  Theon was there few times during his life in Winterfell (he mentions that in the book), probably while playing with the Stark kids or as his duty, when asked. I doubt that Catelyn visited it at all, for example. Maester should on the contrary know everything about the place. Jon even says to Littlefinger "You don't belong here", which I think is true. I think the visitors are accepted there only to pay their respect, like Robert did in the beginning of the series. In the books it is said that the tunnels are very deep since there lie all the lords and North Kings of the last few thousands of years. Bran was afraid of the deep darkness in the tunnels, while only Richon wasn't. On the contrary, he preferred the darkness of those tunnels.

By the way, the Watch is called the Nights Watch, not the knights watch.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:44 AM, briantw said:

I'm definitely not ruling out Euron working with the Others either, as the timing of his homecoming is conspicuous as fuck and, in the books at least there's a whole lot of supernatural stuff going on with him.

If working with the Others is possible, Cersei should made advances on the Night King. They'd make a good couple. I'm disappointed there are no fics of them on Archiveofourown.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, Lollygag said:

I think that may well be. Bran's "where you belong...home" whatever speech would fit Bran trying to get them to switch sides. If I was them, I'd want to come home as a hero-type instead of a mercenary-type. It's exactly the acceptance and welcome that they've always wanted and here maybe they're getting it on a silver platter. That it's such a big deal that they never break their contract is all but telling us outright that they will break their contract. 

We don't have clear battle scenes and they are a big draw in the series as so much of the show has become just awful. Maybe there's something too spoilery in much of the battle. 

The show/books do like to have saviors ride in when all looks bleak, Stannis beyond the wall, the Knights of the Vale in Battle of the Bastards, the Lannister army in Blackwater Bay.... So having the Golden company ride in and help turn the tide would be consistent if nothing else. 

On 3/9/2019 at 1:52 PM, Lollygag said:

Wights were very difficult to kill in season 1 when Jon fought Othor, but last season during the wight hunt, it was comically easy. They're not shooting for consistency here. Can't be sure the blood in Arya's fight scene means anything.

Would their "hard to kill" ability be based on length dead before rising? The Wights in S1 were two freshly killed people and the Wights last season were almost all long long dead people?  I am going to pretend this is the case so I can enjoy it more! Probably giving them too much credit for thinking this way.

28 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The show/books do like to have saviors ride in when all looks bleak, Stannis beyond the wall, the Knights of the Vale in Battle of the Bastards, the Lannister army in Blackwater Bay.... So having the Golden company ride in and help turn the tide would be consistent if nothing else. 

Eh, you're right. They do this a lot. This is how good GRRM is. He does kinda dumb stuff but does it so well that you miss it. 

25 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Would their "hard to kill" ability be based on length dead before rising? The Wights in S1 were two freshly killed people and the Wights last season were almost all long long dead people?  I am going to pretend this is the case so I can enjoy it more! Probably giving them too much credit for thinking this way.

That's what I thought too at first - the still-juicy ones are better fighters. Eh, but Bran's cave scene says no unfortunately. But I'm on board with pretending! Might be mixing my suspension of belief with some whiskey. :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pocQRPl1FYQ

Archived