Season 8 Official Trailer

Euron III Greyjoy

16 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I was bored.

I will be bored if this is just zombies vs. dragons. 

The historical fiction needs to come back in because that's where the characters can actually be interesting.

No, I don't think it'll be zombie vs. dragons.

I just think that this trailer focused on the first two or three episodes of the season. And unlike last season's trailer, we don't have much of anything to speculate on because the trailer didn't give away much.

3 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I have no idea where Tormund, Beric, and Edd are. They might be under Castle Black or something.

Yeah, in the books Harry Strickland is incredibly ugly, and doesn't really fight. The guy they have playing him the show seems the complete opposite. My ideal storyline for the Golden Company in Season 8 would be for the current General to be Jon Connington, who finds out that Jon Snow is Rhaegar Targaryen's son, which leads him to break his contract with Cersei to serve the son of the man he loved. It would be a nice parallel to the books, where the Golden Company break their contract with Myr to place "Aegon Targaryen" on the Iron Throne. 

I would like that too.

But I think that we are either looking at another amalgamation character rather than Jon Connington: Harry Strickland meets Jon Connington meets Myles Toyne.

3 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I just hope beyond hope that the show doesn't end with Bran being the Night King - and it all is some cyclical bullshit that happens over and over.

That would be a big let down.

I tend to do what I do with the books and look for all the people who could show up that are not dead. The person I have in mind the most is Jaqen. Will he end up fighting for the living? Probably won't appear at all. I always felt like he would though - for some reason.

Will Nymeria and her pack show up? I hope so.

Will Mel show up again. I think so.

Will Gendry fashion massive suits of Dragonglass armor for Danys remaining dragons? Probably not but that would be wicked. LOL

Melisandre is definitely coming back. She's in all of the promotional materials.

2 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I feel like the show is shoe-horning in a lot of things which are important in the books in as-yet unspecified ways, but that the show runners don't really know why they're important. Or they don't care. They're treated as something to take up space to get to the end. Greyscale, the Golden Company, the Citadel, Euron, the Others, more, feel like they're getting this same treatment as the crypts. 

And that's why I prefer the books over the TV show.

Dorne is going to end up proving to be 10x more important to the overall narrative than the TV show seems to imply. Come Dream of Spring, Aegon and Arianne will be in the shoes Cersei was in season 7. But they'll be a lot more secure in their power with Dorne, the Stormlands, the Crownlands, the Golden Company and most of the Reach on their side....which automatically means the war between Aegon and Daenerys is going to be much more interesting. Cersei will probably be in a similar situation that she was in season 7 by the time Dream rolls around--power limited to a small region: Casterly Rock and Lannisport, surrounded with no real allies, entertaining Euron, working even more closely with Qyburn, etc. But Euron will be almost a completely different character with a completely different situation when that happens, Qyburn is a much more potent mad scientist and Casterly Rock still sits on a gigantic gold mine in the books. So those dynamics there will be different.

I, for one, think that there's going to be a greyscale plague. Three significant characters have it: Jorah, JonCon and Shireen. Two of them had been gallivanting around Essos for a while and they're all either already in Westeros or headed there now. Yeah, Shireen has been "cured" but the Free Folk have been trying to tell everyone that it doesn't work like that.

Although I will say this in defense of the show: the issue of why the crypts are important, why a Stark must always be in Winterfell and everything about Others (especially the Others) should have been touched upon more in the books. We have only seen the Others twice and GRRM is running out of time and pages. But oh...Bran is our key to the mysteries of the true North, the old gods, Winterfell, the Children of the Forest and the Others but he has only had seven chapters since A Clash of Kings. 'Nuff said. He is his own worst enemy and now he has to cover most of that stuff in Winds.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Euron is going to use the Golden Company to sack Kings Landing, and that will be a key part of how the endgame plays out. 

The guy is sailing there with a fleet full of 20000 mercenaries he's hired. It may have been Cersei's money, but he's the one who did the hiring. 

Now, when has Euron ever not betrayed people? 

So he's going to turn up, visit Cersei in the Red Keep, the conversation will go something like: "remind me again why I even need you?" and that'll be it. 

How this fits in with the NK's movements post-Winterfell, I don't know, but it does right now seem the strongest possibility. 

2 hours ago, 21st Century Moose said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Euron is going to use the Golden Company to sack Kings Landing, and that will be a key part of how the endgame plays out. 

The guy is sailing there with a fleet full of 20000 mercenaries he's hired. It may have been Cersei's money, but he's the one who did the hiring. 

So he's going to turn up, visit Cersei in the Red Keep, the conversation will go something like: "remind me again why I even need you?" and that'll be it. 

How this fits in with the NK's movements post-Winterfell, I don't know, but it does right now seem the strongest possibility. 

Euron is just a taxi service, he didn't hire anybody. That transaction took place in KL, with the Iron bank as the intermediate the way I took it. 

5 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Euron is just a taxi service, he didn't hire anybody. That transaction took place in KL, with the Iron bank as the intermediate the way I took it. 

I think you are right. Unless Euron can pay more than Cersei (or offer something valuable) I don't think he can command them to do anything...

11 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I just think that this trailer focused on the first two or three episodes of the season. And unlike last season's trailer, we don't have much of anything to speculate on because the trailer didn't give away much.

I would like that too.

But I think that we are either looking at another amalgamation character rather than Jon Connington: Harry Strickland meets Jon Connington meets Myles Toyne.

Melisandre is definitely coming back. She's in all of the promotional materials.

Dorne is going to end up proving to be 10x more important to the overall narrative than the TV show seems to imply. Come Dream of Spring, Aegon and Arianne will be in the shoes Cersei was in season 7. But they'll be a lot more secure in their power with Dorne, the Stormlands, the Crownlands, the Golden Company and most of the Reach on their side....which automatically means the war between Aegon and Daenerys is going to be much more interesting. Cersei will probably be in a similar situation that she was in season 7 by the time Dream rolls around--power limited to a small region: Casterly Rock and Lannisport, surrounded with no real allies, entertaining Euron, working even more closely with Qyburn, etc. But Euron will be almost a completely different character with a completely different situation when that happens, Qyburn is a much more potent mad scientist and Casterly Rock still sits on a gigantic gold mine in the books. So those dynamics there will be different.

I, for one, think that there's going to be a greyscale plague. Three significant characters have it: Jorah, JonCon and Shireen. Two of them had been gallivanting around Essos for a while and they're all either already in Westeros or headed there now. Yeah, Shireen has been "cured" but the Free Folk have been trying to tell everyone that it doesn't work like that.

Although I will say this in defense of the show: the issue of why the crypts are important, why a Stark must always be in Winterfell and everything about Others (especially the Others) should have been touched upon more in the books. We have only seen the Others twice and GRRM is running out of time and pages. But oh...Bran is our key to the mysteries of the true North, the old gods, Winterfell, the Children of the Forest and the Others but he has only had seven chapters since A Clash of Kings. 'Nuff said. He is his own worst enemy and now he has to cover most of that stuff in Winds.

I used to think that too.  All the conflicts, death etc. are a plot device to weaken the human race in the face of the real enemy and to also potentially supply the same enemy with a load of corpses to raise.

But for a plague, now I am not so sure.  I think it's just as likely that Sam will cure JonCon and during that process Sam will learn that Rhaeger didn't really abduct Lyanna and that she was pregnant with his kid.

Of course we could also be heading for a War of the Worlds style ending.  Grayscale plague happens during the Others invasion and it turns out that the Others aren't immune to it and it is the plague that saves the human race whilst killing thousands in the process....

17 hours ago, Mystical said:

The problem is that if the crypts are important in some way, it will need to be explained. Same as the Others still need to be explained. With everything that needs to happen in just 6 episodes, the last thing that's needed is endless exposition. They've had 7 Seasons to lay all the groundwork, jamming it all in at the last minute is a terrible move. I'm not interested in never ending explanations from Bran outside of what he reveals to Jon about his real parents. Crypts and the Others are things that should have been touched upon previously. Please spare me more monologues because the show is terrible with those.

This is my biggest worry about season 8 Bran. Since it seems like the only purpose of Bran so far is to just explain the plot to the characters. It drives me nuts. In my opinion, he is meant for something big in the books. Maybe they will still do it in the show, but they are really running outta time.

And you're right, with having to explain everything else, especially the White Walkers, which should get a fair amount of time to dive into their back story. There isn't time for anything else.... 

2 hours ago, btfu806 said:

This is my biggest worry about season 8 Bran. Since it seems like the only purpose of Bran so far is to just explain the plot to the characters. It drives me nuts. In my opinion, he is meant for something big in the books. Maybe they will still do it in the show, but they are really running outta time.

And you're right, with having to explain everything else, especially the White Walkers, which should get a fair amount of time to dive into their back story. There isn't time for anything else.... 

That's GRRM's fault. He should have gone out of his way to explain exactly why Bran was so important to the overall story and the role that the old gods, the CoTF and the Starks played in that.

I think it's absolutely silly that plot elements and big character moments that belonged to Bran that should have been explored in this series are going to get thrown into the prequel.

Talking about the crypts and the magic of the Stark bloodline would've given Bran something interesting to do in season 7. But no, he became the Deus ex Machina for the atrocious Winterfell plot.

16 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I would like that too.

Who cares? This is a discussion about the GoT trailer, not ASOIAF or wheather you like one more than the other. Stay on topic please. 

Sorry if I sound rude (I don't mean to), but this happens quite a lot here. That is why a lot of us don't want to discuss GoT here anymore.

What wonders me the most about the trailer is Arya. She is really scared. What in the seven hells can make here that scared? It seems she is in the crypts. Could it be that the WW have turned the corpses of the Starks in the crypts to whights, while she was down there? I think seeing the corpse of her father trying to kill her is the only thing that might scary her that much. 

6 minutes ago, T and A said:

Who cares? This is a discussion about the GoT trailer, not ASOIAF or wheather you like one more than the other. Stay on topic please. 

Sorry if I sound rude (I don't mean to), but this happens quite a lot here. That is why a lot of us don't want to discuss GoT here anymore.

You do sound rude but it's okay I understand.

Still, the gross mismanagement of season 7 and the poor decisions that the showrunners made in season 5 and 6 has made season 8's ability to provide a satisfying finale (climax and resolution) a lot more difficult. I don't think you can even argue that...

19 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

You do sound rude but it's okay I understand.

Still, the gross mismanagement of season 7 and the poor decisions that the showrunners made in season 5 and 6 has made season 8's ability to provide a satisfying finale (climax and resolution) a lot more difficult. I don't think you can even argue that...

I can’t speak for T and A, but I certainly argue against that. I think the show is still going strong and continues to be my favorite television series. The books, on the other hand, have gone downhill with AFFC/ADWD. To be honest, I’m slowly losing interest in the books and hardly care anymore if Winds is ever released.

45 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

I can’t speak for T and A, but I certainly argue against that. I think the show is still going strong and continues to be my favorite television series. The books, on the other hand, have gone downhill with AFFC/ADWD. To be honest, I’m slowly losing interest in the books and hardly care anymore if Winds is ever released.

Are you seriously telling me that you think the story of season 7 was well-written?

49 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Are you seriously telling me that you think the story of season 7 was well-written?

I’ve had my criticisms of season 7, just like I’ve had my criticisms of the previous seasons and of every other television show I’ve ever watched. The positives of GOT far overwhelm the negatives.

15 hours ago, 21st Century Moose said:

He could be taking part of Aurane Waters' story in the books, who as far as we know has absconded with Cersei's brand new fleet and has set himself up as the pirate king of the Stepstones. I always expected ShowEuron to betray Cersei, because to me his talk of marrying the most beautiful woman in the world was about Dany, but Cersei is too vain to realise it.

1 hour ago, Dragon in the North said:

20 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

I’ve had my criticisms of season 7, just like I’ve had my criticisms of the previous seasons and of every other television show I’ve ever watched. The positives of GOT far overwhelm the negatives.

So, you don't see a decline, at all in season 6 or 7?

I know you have your criticisms, we all do. But do you think overall quality of the show in seasons 6 and 7 stayed the same? went up? down?

6 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

So, you don't see a decline, at all in season 6 or 7?

I know you have your criticisms, we all do. But do you think overall quality of the show in seasons 6 and 7 stayed the same? went up? down?

They went up from some seasons, down from others. All the seasons are great, but right now, my order is:

Season 4

Season 6

Season 1

Season 7

Season 2

Season 3

Season 5

4 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

They went up from some seasons, down from others. All the seasons are great, but right now, my order is:

Season 4

Season 6

Season 1

Season 7

Season 2

Season 3

Season 5

Interesting list. Especially to see 3 so low and 6 so high. Any particular reasons for the 6 season love and 3 season "hate" (I know you said you like all the seasons so I use hate just in reference of the list haha).

I am just genuinely curious since it is almost like the opposite of my list.

17 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Interesting list. Especially to see 3 so low and 6 so high. Any particular reasons for the 6 season love and 3 season "hate" (I know you said you like all the seasons so I use hate just in reference of the list haha).

I am just genuinely curious since it is almost like the opposite of my list.

Yeah, no problem. To me, season 3 was weakened by their splitting of ASOS. I felt like several plot lines were in holding patterns and moved very slowly in order to save the Red Wedding for the climax. I felt like the pacing was rather off. Season 3 also had the weakest finale, imo. That said, it had a few spectacular moments, such as Dany taking command of the UnSullied (one of my favorite scenes), The  Hound’s trial by combat, and, of course, the Red Wedding.

I found season 6 to be much better paced had a lot of my favorite scenes and plot lines. Season 6 may have stumbled somewhere in the middle around episodes 6 and 7in terms of pacing, but the beginning and ending of the season were excellent. Plus, it had the added benefit of containing relatively unfamiliar plots, having moved passed the books, so everything was new and fresh. Season 6 also contains my all time favorite episode and finale in the Winds of Winter.

6 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Yeah, no problem. To me, season 3 was weakened by their splitting of ASOS. I felt like several plot lines were in holding patterns and moved very slowly in order to save the Red Wedding for the climax. I felt like the pacing was rather off. Season 3 also had the weakest finale, imo. That said, it had a few spectacular moments, such as Dany taking command of the UnSullied (one of my favorite scenes), The  Hound’s trial by combat, and, of course, the Red Wedding.

I found season 6 to be much better paced had a lot of my favorite scenes and plot lines. Season 6 may have stumbled somewhere in the middle around episodes 6 and 7in terms of pacing, but the beginning and ending of the season were excellent. Plus, it had the added benefit of containing relatively unfamiliar plots, having moved passed the books, so everything was new and fresh. Season 6 also contains my all time favorite episode and finale in the Winds of Winter.

Very interesting, I can understand that perspective, especially with seeing new things vs seeing something you have read about. That makes sense for sure.

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

That's GRRM's fault. He should have gone out of his way to explain exactly why Bran was so important to the overall story and the role that the old gods, the CoTF and the Starks played in that.

I think it's absolutely silly that plot elements and big character moments that belonged to Bran that should have been explored in this series are going to get thrown into the prequel.

Talking about the crypts and the magic of the Stark bloodline would've given Bran something interesting to do in season 7. But no, he became the Deus ex Machina for the atrocious Winterfell plot.

GRRM recently has let slip something that I think is quite spoilerish (more for the books than TV show).  He explicitly said that there are "minor" characters arcs that are different in the show and he doesn't know how they're going to end.

So the assumption is the major characters will end up in the same place in books and show.  It could well be that book Bran is also nothing more than a plot device for Jon to find out his true heritage and fulfill his destiny.  We'll have to wait and see how he ends up as it looks like the show and books are aligned on this.

Archived