Jump to content
Euron III Greyjoy

Season 8 Official Trailer

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Yeah but not much time.  And I don't want a positive only thread (that would be as ghastly as a negative only thread).  But I do think the constant stream of negativity by a few posters on here brings the whole place down.  Eventually every thread gets infected by the same sarcastic, negative style responses.......often in response to mere speculation (which I find incredibly odd).

Are you trying to be ironic with the comprehension comment?  "The largest A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thronesforum on the web. Whether you are looking for discussions of the books or the show, there's a section for you a the forum.".  This isn't a GRRM book discussion site...…

Bolded: I really can't take you seriously anymore at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Bolded: I really can't take you seriously anymore at this point. 

The actual forum states it is a forum about ASOIAF, both the books AND show.

As for "few", yes it is unfortunately for all of the haters.  This is demonstrated episode after episode when the poll on the site comes out.  The poll never reflects the written mood of the posts.  Then you realise that is because most of the posts are by the same posters bitching about the same things over and over and over.  Unfortunately that negativity has stifled what could be a good sub forum.

Edited by Ser Gareth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I haven't been on this message boards for years, since there's nothing to discuss, but I will say this:  I have been extremely critical of the show in the past, and I still feel the writers screwed up on many occasions.  However, seeing how George will most likely never finish the books, I am just glad someone is finishing the story for him.  It's not the writers' fault George sold them the rights to the series before he even finished it.

Edited by bloodsteel bitterraven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

I haven't been on this message boards for years, since there's nothing to discuss, but I will say this:  I have been extremely critical of the show in the past, and I still feel the writers screwed up on many occasions.  However, seeing how George will most likely never finish the books, I am just glad someone is finishing the story for him.  It's not the writers' fault George sold them the rights to the series before he even finished it.

I don't have issues with this. It's a fair and square deal and all parties included knew the possible outcomes. I don't even hold a grudge against them for finishing it. I just feel they have done a bad job, Some writers improve the original source, some don't. Beside numerous great things about show, I simply can't say I am a huge fan of how they'll finish the story. 

On 3/15/2019 at 1:09 AM, Ser Gareth said:

The actual forum states it is a forum about ASOIAF, both the books AND show.

As for "few", yes it is unfortunately for all of the haters.  This is demonstrated episode after episode when the poll on the site comes out.  The poll never reflects the written mood of the posts.  Then you realise that is because most of the posts are by the same posters bitching about the same things over and over and over.  Unfortunately that negativity has stifled what could be a good sub forum.

You have to understand how this forum works, During spring, we have a flood of TV watchers who want to comment on TV show. Around 2012, 2013, we even had daily crashes because of that. So, what looks "few" for you, are actually those who are on this forum all year long. Not to mention that here you can actually read variety of opinions regarding GoT/ASoIaF which is in stark contrast to websites dedicated to GoT fanboyism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Risto said:

I don't have issues with this. It's a fair and square deal and all parties included knew the possible outcomes. I don't even hold a grudge against them for finishing it. I just feel they have done a bad job, Some writers improve the original source, some don't. Beside numerous great things about show, I simply can't say I am a huge fan of how they'll finish the story. 

You have to understand how this forum works, During spring, we have a flood of TV watchers who want to comment on TV show. Around 2012, 2013, we even had daily crashes because of that. So, what looks "few" for you, are actually those who are on this forum all year long. Not to mention that here you can actually read variety of opinions regarding GoT/ASoIaF which is in stark contrast to websites dedicated to GoT fanboyism.

It is generally accepted on the internet that this whole forum has become a pure laughable, sarcastic parody of like 10 posters who constantly complain about the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T and A said:

It is generally accepted on the internet that this whole forum has become a pure laughable, sarcastic parody of like 10 posters who constantly complain about the show. 

And I see that being said by the very same group of people. It goes both ways. I like this forum because people here are not just blown away by something, but actually discuss in great detail all aspects of the show (Sansa saving Jon was perhaps cool, but did it make ANY sense?). And it is not just about GoT. Look at how people have dissected books in almost decade and a half of its existence, other TV shows being picked apart (I remember having very detailed conversations about The Good Wife, people discussed promotion of consumerism in The Big Bang Theory, morality in The Americans etc.)

Is the site more critical towards the show? Yes. But so were the Tolkien boards when Jackson trilogy came out. Harry Potter community was never gracious about any issue and these days I see all sorts of comments about JKR's retconning. This website predates the show, was founded by people who love ASOIAF and in many ways, it becomes normal and expected for the board to take "the purist stance". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Risto said it nicely. All I will say is, since its “generally accepted” on the tinternet it must surely be 100% spot on. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Risto said:

And I see that being said by the very same group of people. It goes both ways. I like this forum because people here are not just blown away by something, but actually discuss in great detail all aspects of the show (Sansa saving Jon was perhaps cool, but did it make ANY sense?). And it is not just about GoT. Look at how people have dissected books in almost decade and a half of its existence, other TV shows being picked apart (I remember having very detailed conversations about The Good Wife, people discussed promotion of consumerism in The Big Bang Theory, morality in The Americans etc.)

Is the site more critical towards the show? Yes. But so were the Tolkien boards when Jackson trilogy came out. Harry Potter community was never gracious about any issue and these days I see all sorts of comments about JKR's retconning. This website predates the show, was founded by people who love ASOIAF and in many ways, it becomes normal and expected for the board to take "the purist stance". 

I am not complainig about people criticizing the show. But if you have a "Show Thread", and every second post (by nearly the same people) is off topic about the books and how they are superior/different that the show, or how &D are idiots and he or she could definitively do it better, then this show thread becomes anoying as fuck, and I loose the interest of discussing things beyond how "everything sucks". 

 

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

@Risto said it nicely. All I will say is, since its “generally accepted” on the tinternet it must surely be 100% spot on. :lol:

Do you expect a survey? Go to other GoT forums and see for yourself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, T and A said:

I am not complainig about people criticizing the show. But if you have a "Show Thread", and every second post (by nearly the same people) is off topic about the books and how they are superior/different that the show, or how &D are idiots and he or she could definitively do it better, then this show thread becomes anoying as fuck, and I loose the interest of discussing things beyond how "everything sucks". 

 

Do you expect a survey? Go to other GoT forums and see for yourself...

The show can't be mentioned at all in the general/book forum which leaves the GOT forum as the only place to discuss both. Book discussions which mention the show get moved here. Unless specified *show only*, everything over here is both books and show, hence bringing up the books isn't ever off-topic.

Things aren't labelled well, but that's how it works. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lollygag said:

The show can't be mentioned at all in the general/book forum which leaves the GOT forum as the only place to discuss both. Book discussions which mention the show get moved here. Unless specified *show only*, everything over here is both books and show, hence bringing up the books isn't ever off-topic.

Things aren't labelled well, but that's how it works. 

 

Oh. Thank you very much for the info. I did not knew that. In that case, I understand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, T and A said:

Oh. Thank you very much for the info. I did not knew that. In that case, I understand. 

Maybe in 4 or 5 years time when we're still waiting for TWOW , the show will be allowed to be mentioned in the book forums!

In the meantime, if one posts some Preston Jacobs type crap that Rhaegar is Dany's dad or whatever it's ok, but if you reference the R&J reveal from GOT  it's an instant suspension.  

 

But hey, them's the rules. Simple vows for simple men. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Maybe in 4 or 5 years time when we're still waiting for TWOW , the show will be allowed to be mentioned in the book forums!

In the meantime, if one posts some Preston Jacobs type crap that Rhaegar is Dany's dad or whatever it's ok, but if you reference the R&J reveal from GOT  it's an instant suspension.  

 

But hey, them's the rules. Simple vows for simple men. 

They are still discussing the parentage of Jon Snow?? No way :laugh:. And 5 years? Aren't we a little too optimistic there? :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, T and A said:

They are still discussing the parentage of Jon Snow?? No way :laugh:. And 5 years? Aren't we a little too optimistic there? :laugh:

 The fandom version of flat earthers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

 The fandom version of flat earthers! 

There are 2 big clans. Jon Snow supporters, his qualities being Daenerys' failures and angering her supporters. And reciprocally.
Each camp becoming sometime absurdly prejudiced against the other character. Leading to stupid things like denying R+L=J.
The way I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 8:11 PM, Risto said:

(Sansa saving Jon was perhaps cool, but did it make ANY sense?)

Should they ever be finished, the same thing will happen in the books.  It's odd to me that people don't see that.  Sansa will just arrive with the Vale, instead of sending for them.

 

I think the show and the books (again, should they ever get finished) are going to converge far more than people think.  While people like to put forth that they have gone in wildly different directions, I don't believe that is truly the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CerseiStark said:

Should they ever be finished, the same thing will happen in the books.  It's odd to me that people don't see that.  Sansa will just arrive with the Vale, instead of sending for them.

 

I think the show and the books (again, should they ever get finished) are going to converge far more than people think.  While people like to put forth that they have gone in wildly different directions, I don't believe that is truly the case. 

100%. Sansa will probably have an abusive marriage to Harry Harding instead of Ramsay, but she and LF will bring a force from the Vale 

Shireen's burning is hinted at in Dance. Book Stannis may be less complicit  than HBO Stannis but she will still burn. 

Ramsey will beat Stannis.  Stannis boasting in TWOW is that of a man heading for a fall. 

Both stories will end up the same, just HBO taking certain shortcuts and detours

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ser Uncle P, which one is it, 100% or probably? :P

As to the show confirming stuff... well, I’ve been firmly on the R+L=J camp for a long, long time, and I don’t expect to proven wrong. That said, I don’t take anything the show does as confirmation of anything. And there are many readers who support different theories, and to be fair, the books have, so far, left that question unanswered. I don’t see how that equals them to flat earthers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CerseiStark said:

Should they ever be finished, the same thing will happen in the books.  It's odd to me that people don't see that.  Sansa will just arrive with the Vale, instead of sending for them.

 

I think the show and the books (again, should they ever get finished) are going to converge far more than people think.  While people like to put forth that they have gone in wildly different directions, I don't believe that is truly the case. 

The issue here is not that Sansa saving Jon didn't make any sense, it is the way it was done in the show. Sansa coming with Vale army in last second to save Jon who had no idea about his sister being married and having that much power is believable.

Having Sansa not telling Jon about Vale army who happened to be at North and at her disposal, isn't.

In literature, movies, it is not just WHAT happens, but also HOW it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

@Ser Uncle P, which one is it, 100% or probably? :P

As to the show confirming stuff... well, I’ve been firmly on the R+L=J camp for a long, long time, and I don’t expect to proven wrong. That said, I don’t take anything the show does as confirmation of anything. And there are many readers who support different theories, and to be fair, the books have, so far, left that question unanswered. I don’t see how that equals them to flat earthers. 

Don't forget D&D were asked by GRRM on Jon's parentage years before the show was made. 

It's so central to the plot of the whole saga that it's inconceivable that D&D just made it up like, say,  Jaime's jolly to Dorne or Asha visiting the Dreadfort. 

On top of the hints in the books, the evidence puts the R+L deniers straight into tinfoil hat land! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CerseiStark said:

Should they ever be finished, the same thing will happen in the books.  It's odd to me that people don't see that.  Sansa will just arrive with the Vale, instead of sending for them.

I think the show and the books (again, should they ever get finished) are going to converge far more than people think.  While people like to put forth that they have gone in wildly different directions, I don't believe that is truly the case. 

What's odd to me is that people are so certain about this.

The entire Ramsay vs Jon story line from season 6 would fit like a square peg in a round hole in the books. What would it achieve, other than ruining Stannis's arc and delaying the arrival of the Others? There's no long standing rivalry between Jon and Ramsay that needs to pay off, no immediate stakes to drive the conflict - Ramsay doesn't have Rickon and he never abused Sansa. Why would we be invested in this story? Would there be any tension at all, would we really expect a freshly resurrected Jon to lose to Ramsay Bolton? Winds is the penultimate installment in the series, how could such a story line be seen as anything other than filler, eating precious page space from the real endgame?

When it comes to the show, however, they had every reason to delay the Others as much as they could, because dressing up actors in prosthetics and CGI-ing zombies is expensive... And what's probably even more expensive is covering everything with snow, which they avoided doing for the longest time, even though the North should have been blanketed with thick layers of it as far back as season 5 (it would be a bit hard for the Vale army to reach Winterfell like that, or do much fighting at all). Even in the season 8 trailer snow looks like a light spring sprinkling.

If you look at the specific circumstances of both the books and the show, it should become obvious that some story lines didn't come from George.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×