House Dondarrion?

Stormking902

I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered in regards to Beric and house Dondarrion. 

1) Why does Beric have no heirs in the form of cousins floating around?. 

2) Why didnt Beric go home and raise his army that the brotherhood could obviously have used ? Its stated house Dondarrion are a powerful marcher lord and their castle Blackhaven sits along the Dornish boarder and the boneway so they should at least be able to field what 2k fighting men?. Yet Beric never once tries to raise these fighting men? You can say they left with Renly but how? No lord can summon another lords men not even a great lord and Beric was sent on his mission before WO5K even started. 

We don't know how much family Beric has. For all we know, he's got three younger brothers, a nephew, six uncles and a second cousin twice removed...any one of whom could have left in charge of Blackhaven and marched them for Renly. Remember Beric was reported as dead not long after the Mummers Ford. Maybe a brother inherited (what are the rules of inheritence when someone dies and then comes back?) and declared for Renly, meaning Beric isn't actually Lord of Blackhaven anymore.

35 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

We don't know how much family Beric has. For all we know, he's got three younger brothers, a nephew, six uncles and a second cousin twice removed...any one of whom could have left in charge of Blackhaven and marched them for Renly. Remember Beric was reported as dead not long after the Mummers Ford. Maybe a brother inherited (what are the rules of inheritence when someone dies and then comes back?) and declared for Renly, meaning Beric isn't actually Lord of Blackhaven anymore.

Even if he was reported dead and the lordship was givin to another man as soon as he turns up alive Blackhaven would be Berics again since legally its still his castle, you can give a mans legal lands and titles away because he was falsly claimed to be dead. 

What you say about a family member sending his swords with Renly in his absence does make sence but then when Renly was killed why didnt he then try and take his men back like many Stormlords who sat out like house Swann for instance. 

1 hour ago, Stormking902 said:

Even if he was reported dead and the lordship was givin to another man as soon as he turns up alive Blackhaven would be Berics again since legally its still his castle, you can give a mans legal lands and titles away because he was falsly claimed to be dead. 

What you say about a family member sending his swords with Renly in his absence does make sence but then when Renly was killed why didnt he then try and take his men back like many Stormlords who sat out like house Swann for instance. 

Well, falsely reported and actually dead but came back later is a bit different. And as for what his men did post Renly; maybe they went home and sat out the war like the Swann's. Or maybe they joined Stannis and suffered for it at the Blackwater.

Also, how is Beric meant to get to Blackhaven anyway. He'd have to cross through Lannister controlled Riverlands, Tyrell controlled Reach and Baratheon controlled Marches to get there; all enemy territory and it would have meant all but abandoning his campaign in the Riverlands.

And then later, when things had calmed down and he was in a stronger position, he wasn't in any shape to be making that journey

The vagueness of House Dondarrion has almost always been something in the back of my mind when it comes to unexplained issues within ASOIAF. Based on Beric’s lack of discussion, he has no family left, but someone brought his bannermen to Renly. So what’s going on?

After his conversion to Rh'llor I think that going home was the last thing on his mind.

Joffrey would have had his head given half a chance, for failing to come to KL and bend the knee plus because he was so associated with Ned & killing Lannister men.

Plus, with so many people claiming they have killed Beric - would he be believed if he showed up at Blackhaven looking to raise forces, looking all dead and shit.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:55 PM, Stormking902 said:

I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered in regards to Beric and house Dondarrion. 

2) Why didnt Beric go home and raise his army that the brotherhood could obviously have used ? Its stated house Dondarrion are a powerful marcher lord and their castle Blackhaven sits along the Dornish boarder and the boneway so they should at least be able to field what 2k fighting men?. Yet Beric never once tries to raise these fighting men? You can say they left with Renly but how? No lord can summon another lords men not even a great lord and Beric was sent on his mission before WO5K even started. 

Other than the fact that he was a rebel and an outlaw whom the Lannisters and the Crown were actively looking for?  Given his current status, he probably has no authority to order his men to do anything.

We have no idea what his family situation is.  GRRM tends to ignore that sort of thing unless and until it becomes important for the story.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:25 PM, James Steller said:

The vagueness of House Dondarrion has almost always been something in the back of my mind when it comes to unexplained issues within ASOIAF. Based on Beric’s lack of discussion, he has no family left, but someone brought his bannermen to Renly. So what’s going on?

This is the case for a lot of the houses in the Stormlands...we do lack information.

We should get a lot of information on that in the next book. The Stormlands have become rather important as a location right now, and the Marcher Lords will have to make a move. Even if they were not willing to declare for Aegon at once, they will have to react in some fashion when the Dornish armies leave the Red Mountains.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:25 PM, James Steller said:

Based on Beric’s lack of discussion, he has no family left, but someone brought his bannermen to Renly. So what’s going on?

Do we know that his banner men were with Renly?  I don't remember his banners being seen or mentioned with Renly (though I could have missed it).  I thought I remember Davos saying that Blackhaven wouldn't move to Stannis with Beric being gone/away.  The implication I always assumed was that House Dondarrion pretty much sat out the WO5K.  We really don't know if he has brothers or uncles who are running things, or a castellan, or even if his wife to be (a Dayne) might be influencing things.  

On 3/5/2019 at 8:55 PM, Stormking902 said:

Because they are too unimportant- they sit in Blackhaven wondering if Beric is alive or isnt

Im very certain has heirs because without there would be more Drama in the Storm Lands

Archived