Jump to content
silversnake33

What is the dumbest house Sigil/ coat of arms.

Recommended Posts

On 3/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Karneol said:

House Wylde 

Its not dark and mysteric as house dondarrion nor epic as house baratheon nor has it a symbolic meaning like house swyft (i guess).  Its a mess of an ugly blue and a way to bright yellow.

Maybe.... but you may not know that it is a shout-out to guitarist Zakk Wylde, a fellow Bayonne, NJ native like GRRM.  The sigil is a shout-out to the design used famously on many of Wylde's guitars, though most well known in black and white.  If I had to guess--I'm sure that they have met before, and perhaps GRRM was gifted a Wylde guitar in the colors "ugly blue and way to bright yellow".    Pure speculation though.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything where the name of the house is the sigil:

  • House Kettleblack: literally, a black kettle
  • House Belmore: a bunch of bells
  • House Waxley: candles
  • House Blackbar: a black bar
  • House Swann: two swans

Also, Houses Towers, Lipps, Redfort, Beesbury, Crane, Hightower, Codd, Buckler, Peasebury. Geez, these people have less imagination than a Summer Islander.

But I also wonder if, maybe 500 years from now, people will look at the sigil of House Seaworth and wonder what that was all about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Anything where the name of the house is the sigil:

  • House Kettleblack: literally, a black kettle
  • House Belmore: a bunch of bells
  • House Waxley: candles
  • House Blackbar: a black bar
  • House Swann: two swans

Also, Houses Towers, Lipps, Redfort, Beesbury, Crane, Hightower, Codd, Buckler, Peasebury. Geez, these people have less imagination than a Summer Islander.

But I also wonder if, maybe 500 years from now, people will look at the sigil of House Seaworth and wonder what that was all about.

I've been going down the rabbit hole of obscure houses and their sigils, and GOD, there are a lot of pun-based sigils. 

The Braxes of HORNvale have a UNICORN! The BRIDGES house has a BRIDGE! The BULwers have a BULL! The house of GREENSHIELD have a GREEN SHIELD! The CODDS have a CODfish! The LEMONwood house has LEMONS! The Fossoways of CIDER Hall have an APPLE! 

I think my favorite of the puns is that the Hetherspoons just literally have a spoon on their sigil.

That will intimidate the enemy! The sight of spoons will strike fear into their very hearts!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think maybe if the sigils and house names were all too elaborated or abstract, it would be harder for readers to remember and pair off names and events. Anyway it's psychologically probable, that a progenitor takes sigil like this, I can imagine myself being extremely proud of a kettle or a broken wheel on a doublet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

It's actually a black plowman on a brown field.

I learned this from @thewolfspider:

https://youtu.be/4zYCCR0kVvs?t=86

It's a homage to Arnold Schwarzenegger as a T-800 terminator rescuing a mother and a son from Robert Patrick, a T-1000 terminator.

Willem Darry rescues Queen Rhaella and Viserys Targaryen from a King Robert.

 

It looks like a Trident to me: https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Heraldry/Entry/House_Haigh/
House Haigh was one of the three knights/houses that got their ass whooped by the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

Plowman is a plowman. 

 

Nice that some people like the Darry and Piper coat of arms but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I personally do not love the Rooster of Swyft but can see where GRRM may have gotten in from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I think that is a bunch of trite, to be honest. 

I dunno, but I do find it pretty interesting that Hollywood has been mispronouncing his name. Its pronounced Schwar-Zen-EGG-ar.

Hmmm....."EGG".......

Arnie has a very unique story though. Before he conquered Hollywood starring in films like Conan the Conqueror, Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Commando, Predator, Terminator...etc, he was just an immigrant. 

He leaves his continent of Europe and heads West across the Atlantic Ocean. He only brings one thing from his country of Austria for this voyage: his Muscles. For a few years, he quietly settles in America, a completely foreign country with a foreign language and customs. He continues to body build and receives a lot of recognition.

And then he made the Decision. This handsome man (I'll admit it! I wonder if he has any sisters :P) wanted to hop over from bodybuilding to acting in Hollywood, using only his Muscles. Suddenly, this immigrant kept landing movie roles after movie roles after movie roles, re-borning into a different hero in each one.

He even marries into American royalty when he married Maria Shriver, the niece of John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy ... and oh yea Ted too.

Eventually, he enters the political game of America the day he became the governor of California. 

He really Muscled his way into Hollywood & America ... Arnie, what a story of the American Dream ... such a Legacy.

Sorry, going off topic.

16 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Darry rescued Dany too - where is she?

Darry ferried a pregnant Rhaella & Viserys from King's Landing to Dragonstone. Dany was born in Dragonstone during a storm, but she was never in King's Landing for the immediate threat of Robert Rebellion. Darry did help Dany after Dragonstone though.

16 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

What does House Haigh and the KotLT have to do with anything?

Its one of the three that KotLT fought.

Eh, nevermind. <_< A three prong pitchfork, 2 twin pricks of the porcupine, and the towers of The Twins probably doesn't have anything to do with the KotLT directly.

Edited by The Map Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nyser1 said:

Plowman is a plowman.

unless its a black plow man ... then its a schwar-zen-EGG-ar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

I dunno, but I do find it pretty interesting that Hollywood has been mispronouncing his name. Its pronounced Schwar-Zen-EGG-ar.

Hmmm....."EGG".......

Arnie has a very unique story though. Before he conquered Hollywood starring in films like Conan the Conqueror, Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Commando, Predator, Terminator...etc, he was just an immigrant. 

He leaves his continent of Europe and heads West across the Atlantic Ocean. He only brings one thing from his country of Austria for this voyage: his Muscles. For a few years, he quietly settles in America, a completely foreign country with a foreign language and customs. He continues to body build and receives a lot of recognition.

And then he made the Decision. This handsome man (I'll admit it! I wonder if he has any sisters :P) wanted to hop over from bodybuilding to acting in Hollywood, using only his Muscles. Suddenly, this immigrant kept landing movie roles after movie roles after movie roles, re-borning into a different hero in each one.

He even marries into American royalty when he married Maria Shriver, the niece of John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy ... and oh yea Ted too.

Eventually, he enters the political game of America the day he became the governor of California. 

He really Muscled his way into Hollywood & America ... Arnie, what a story of the American Dream ... such a Legacy.

Sorry, going off topic.

Darry ferried a pregnant Rhaella & Viserys from King's Landing to Dragonstone. Dany was born in Dragonstone during a storm, but she was never in King's Landing for the immediate threat of Robert Rebellion. Darry did help Dany after Dragonstone though.

Its one of the three that KotLT fought.

Eh, nevermind. <_< A three prong pitchfork, 2 twin pricks of the porcupine, and the towers of The Twins probably doesn't have anything to do with the KotLT directly.

I'm glad you are an Arnold fan :wacko:

Darry ferried Rhaella and Viserys from KL after Aerys got work Rhaegar had died. But that wasn't a rescue - there was no threat at that precise moment. The rescue took place after Dany was alive, when the Dragonstone garrison considered selling her and Viserys to Robert. 

I don't think the theory adds up TBH.

Maybe there is not a hidden theory/meaning trapped within every scintilla of information in the books?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Flayed men.

 

If I were an enemy of a house with a reputation for flaying people alive and had  the nerve to display a flaying man banner, I’d fight to the bitter end rather than surrendering and  if I’ve triumphed over them, I’d flay all the members save the head of the house and make him wear cloaks and boots made of his familiy for the rest of his hopefully long life in a never ending parade throughout the land.

Edited by Corvo the Crow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All houses that have pictures of their castles on their banners, like Frey and Hightower. It's extremely boring to look at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

There ain't no such movie... yet.

Oh yeah I forgot, it is a shame that Conan the Conqueror (aka The Hour of the Dragon) never made it to film. There were a lot of conflicts that prevented it, including Arnold being busy fighting an jungle alien with camouflaging armor that likes to flay men (the film Predator 1987).

I wonder if the Predator alien was the inspiration to the House Bolton sigil ... they do enjoy a hunt.

4 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I'm glad you are an Arnold fan :wacko:

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

4 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Maybe there is not a hidden theory/meaning trapped within every scintilla of information in the books?

That's no fun! If true, this forum would be pretty empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

Oh yeah I forgot, it is a shame that Conan the Conqueror (aka The Hour of the Dragon) never made it to film. There were a lot of conflicts that prevented it, including Arnold being busy fighting an jungle alien with camouflaging armor that likes to flay men (the film Predator 1987).

 

Arnie has stated that he'd like to make it, but the story he seems to be pushing is more in the Conan of Aquilonia style rather than Hour of the Dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

unless its a black plow man ... then its a schwar-zen-EGG-ar

Can we get Arnold as a sigil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Three-Fingered Pete said:

 

Arnie has stated that he'd like to make it, but the story he seems to be pushing is more in the Conan of Aquilonia style rather than Hour of the Dragon.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/11/arnold-schwarzenegger-conan-the-conqueror-movie/

Even at this age, it is hard to look away from Arnie. This is what a king should look like....

Make that movie!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nyser1 said:

Can we get Arnold as a sigil?

What should it be?!?! May be some day we should ask George if Arnold had a sigil, what would it look like? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×