US Politics: compromising positions

DanteGabriel

4 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I've missed where it was demonstrated that refusing to work them at all will yield anything good.

The ACA.

4 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I can't even get a straight answer on whether anyone here is really pushing not bothering to work with them at all because it looks that's the case.

The question is irrelevant.  Mitch McConnell made that clear a decade ago.  You're asking the Dems to come to a table and just sit there with no one showing up.  Like Dwarfs in the bad Hobbit movies.  How dare you.

9 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Yes, I have demonstrated that you can work with Rs on some things.

Again, please remind me.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You forgot locking kids up in cages.

And raping them, and separating their kids from them, and trying to get the military to shoot them, more.

That justifies not working with them when the result does help people if you can get it? 

What have Republicans actually accomplished on prison reform or prescription drug prices? Or even "whatnot?" ("Whatnot" means you have got precisely fuck-all to follow that exhaustive list of TWO things.) Point me to laws passed and signed by the incompetent grifting monster they continue to prop up.

I don't want to hear some bullshit about how they are "willing to work with Democrats" on those things. Lucy was willing to hold the football for Charlie Brown. You're giving them credit for work they're talking about maybe doing someday.

In a sane society, an organization that's responsible for all the shit the Republicans have pulled in the last twenty years alone would be hung from lampposts and the corpses allowed to fester so nobody would dare pull that kind of shit again. But Lollygag here thinks we should give them the benefit of the doubt because, like, two Senators said they might want to work with Democrats on prison reform. Talk about low expectations for soft bigots.

To be fair they did actually do some federal prison reform in DC recently, and it was bipartisan, and yay.

That this is the first example and only example of an actual bipartisan bill worth anything that has passed since 2011 should indicate precisely how iseful compromise is. 

Okay, they passed one bill. Thoroughly watered down. Someone get me my fainting couch!

The other thing is ONE Republican Senator willing to work with Klobuchar on a pretty limited attempt to scale back the greed of drug companies. It hasn't gone anywhere yet, has it? So one limited prison reform bill and some nice talk about a drug prices bill. That's a pretty small thing to stack against all the other examples of the Republicans' faithlessness and depravity going back years and years. I think your attempt to #NotAllRepublicans this has been pretty pathetic.

Yeah, Alexander and Murray worked on making the ACA better. It went precisely zero meters. 

There is currently very little incentive for either party to work with each other, but it is especially the case for dems working with the GOP. Dems are better off framing everything this government does as illegitimate. 

13 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Here, I showed that sometimes they can be counted on to do some good stuff.

No, you didn't.  You showed an entirely non-salient example of ineffectual policy.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

Okay, they passed one bill. Thoroughly watered down. Someone get me my fainting couch!

The other thing is ONE Republican Senator willing to work with Klobuchar on a pretty limited attempt to scale back the greed of drug companies. It hasn't gone anywhere yet, has it? So one limited prison reform bill and some nice talk about a drug prices bill. That's a pretty small thing to stack against all the other examples of the Republicans' faithlessness and depravity going back years and years. I think your attempt to #NotAllRepublicans this has been pretty pathetic.

Moving the goal posts. Again, where did I say this justifies anything they do? You keep accusing me of that, but you aren't showing me where I said that. I never said it would result in wonderous things and it'd change the world. You take what you can get and don't leave people rot in prison and die from not being able to afford their meds because of pride. 

Again to my main point, and the title of this thread, which you repeatedly refuse to even answer, is:

8 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Are you really taking the position that Republicans never, ever do anything good? It sounds like it. I'd like you to clarify if I have that wrong. And I noticed again that you won't answer this question.  

38 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Dude, no one is saying go along with them when they take positions like that. What exactly are you suggesting? Give up completely because you won't get 100%? 

Here, I showed that sometimes they can be counted on to do some good stuff. You take advantage of that if you can get it. And if you can't get it, you keep trying different methods. I don't get this fatalism thing. 

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That this is the first example and only example of an actual bipartisan bill worth anything that has passed since 2011 should indicate precisely how iseful compromise is. 

In the Trump era, they can't even pass partisan bills because of rank incompetence. Not even the beloved wall. They only got the shutdown bill done by barring Trump from touching it. 

On Obama. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/01/16/obamas_unsung_bipartisan_legacy_132798.html

Just now, Darth Richard II said:
35 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

And raping them, and separating their kids from them, and trying to get the military to shoot them, more.

That justifies not working with them when the result does help people if you can get it? 

Yes, it does.

I'm sure the people rotting in prison and those who can't get their meds agree. And McCain saved the ACA. Would you have let the ACA get repealed because you refused to try for those necessary Republican votes? 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/obamacare/mccain-hated-obamacare-he-also-saved-it-n904106

In theory, yes Democrats could work with Republicans on many things. In reality, no it's simply not worth it. Obama tried plenty of times to reach across the aisle and compromise and time and time again he was rebuffed or outright stonewalled. Republicans crowed for 8 years about the debt under Obama and then, under Trump, what is the first successful piece of legislation they actually end up passing, a debt-exploding tax cut.

Simply put, working with Republicans is a waste of time. It's simply not worth the effort to try and work with creatures that lack principles of any sort. Republicans used to be the crowd of limited government, free trade, and Christian family values, but here they are, lockstep behind a serial adulterer, molester, raising nary an objection to tariffs and economic nationalism, or fuck, even going back to Dubya, the passage of the Patriot Act.

Republicans only care about power and greed and everything else is simply a way to accumulate it. Trying to work with such faithless fucks is simply a waste of time.

A great moron man once said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me again... can't get fooled again."

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yes I'm sure if the Allies had tried to work with the Nazis more things would have just been swell.

Where is Jace when you need her?

Can you make an adult argument for why not working with Republicans on anything period even in win-win situations is a good thing? Or how it doesn't lead to a complete dead end? Why just giving up and doing nothing is better? 

Adding, you haven't answered this 

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:
1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

You haven't demonstrated shit, other then you are either a troll, or lack basic reading comprehension skills. Frankly, I hope its the former.

Yes, I have demonstrated that you can work with Rs on some things. I've missed where it was demonstrated that refusing to work them at all will yield anything good. I can't even get a straight answer on whether anyone here is really pushing not bothering to work with them at all because it looks that's the case. Responses amounting to name-calling aren't addressing anything. 

What exactly do you think I haven't demonstrated? 

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

Perhaps I'm being unclear. The GOP are a a bunch of fucking literal Nazis and I don't think you should work with Nazi's, because THEY ARE EVIL.

summon @Jace, Basilissa

Just now, Lollygag said:

Can you make an adult argument for why not working with Republicans on anything period even in win-win situations is a good thing? Or how it doesn't lead to a complete dead end? Why just giving up and doing nothing is better? 

Yeah, this was my question. What results does it produce? I understand it makes you feel better, but that's not worth screwing people over when you get a chance to help them, however rare. If you think your pride or mine is worth others getting caught in the cross-fire, we deeply, deeply disagree. 

28 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, Alexander and Murray worked on making the ACA better. It went precisely zero meters. 

There is currently very little incentive for either party to work with each other, but it is especially the case for dems working with the GOP. Dems are better off framing everything this government does as illegitimate. 

Trump's unmoving popularity rating doesn't bear this out. 

10 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

LOL.  Citing an idiot like Bill Scher.  Sounds about right.

7 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Republicans used to be the crowd of limited government, free trade, and Christian family values,

@DanteGabriel pointed out last thread the Billy Joel-ness of when the Republican party started to be, well, a bunch of dicks.  To put it nicely.  I think he went back to Nixon.  But if you want a specific moment, it's LBJ signing the CRA.  That was what guaranteed the Southern Dem racists would align with the elite GOP racists within one party, eventually.  And that's Trump's base.

1 minute ago, Lollygag said:

Trump's unmoving popularity rating doesn't bear this out. 

Where's that approval at?  And disapproval?  In a good economy to boot?

Archived