Football: Bernaburned

mormont

Lots of articles this morning holding inquests into Real's demise. How bad do people think this is really? Overdue, yes, but is it the sort of situation that leads to a root and branch review? Do Real still have the cash to rip it up and start again? 

9 minutes ago, mormont said:

Lots of articles this morning holding inquests into Real's demise. How bad do people think this is really? Overdue, yes, but is it the sort of situation that leads to a root and branch review? Do Real still have the cash to rip it up and start again? 

Seems a bit reactionary given they won Champions League 4 of the last 5 years prior to this season. Must be nice.

I don't think Real need to rip it all up. This is still a top class squad but they do need to reinforce in a few areas (CB, RW, CF and CM). Perez also seemingly underestimated the importance of a manager. Lopetegui and Solari were strange choices. The former only enjoyed success working in the national setup and failed miserably at his one and only previous club job while the latter was bombing with the B team and his tactical nous was being questioned yet Perez still saw fit to hand him the first team job. 

51 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

What are the chances they can get Poch in? Think he’d be the ideal hire for them. 

There's talk that Mourinho might head back there but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Leaving aside the divisions he causes, Mourinho also has a poor track record at developing young players and Real have invested quite a bit of money in this area. They should push hard for Poch but it also depends on the compensation that Levy demands. I just can't see Perez paying a big amount for a manager when he could bring in Conte or Mourinho on a free. 

45 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I don't think Real need to rip it all up. This is still a top class squad but they do need to reinforce in a few areas (CB, RW, CF and CM). Perez also seemingly underestimated the importance of a manager. Lopetegui and Solari were strange choices. The former only enjoyed success working in the national setup and failed miserably at his one and only previous club job while the latter was bombing with the B team and his tactical nous was being questioned yet Perez still saw fit to hand him the first team job. 

There's talk that Mourinho might head back there but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Leaving aside the divisions he causes, Mourinho also has a poor track record at developing young players and Real have invested quite a bit of money in this area. They should push hard for Poch but it also depends on the compensation that Levy demands. I just can't see Perez paying a big amount for a manager when he could bring in Conte or Mourinho on a free. 

Not to mention, that Mourinho left quite a bit of scorched earth behind when he left Madrid iirc.

Anyway, Real don't need to start from scratch. But they need/want to offload some players and get some new faces in.

Bale is rumoreldy topping their selling list, Benzema is somebody I would sell. I don't think their warchest is empty either, they probably won't get Neymar, but other than that they should get their targets. Somebody to compensate for 50 goals C. Ronaldo scored for them each year is hard to come by, but they really need some more firepower. I wouldn't be surprised if Bale buggered of to China, and Real (re-)invests that cash and some more into Kane. Easily one of the most complete/best CF today, and enough star power for Real to keep their fans happy with their new toy. Finding a new Manager might be trickier for them. Conte is still on the market though, isn't he, otherwise they will ask Deschamps I guess. As for the RW, I think they will at least ask about Salah at Liverpool. Then it's gonna be interesting how he reacts.

You always got the feeling that the Champions league wins for Real were covering up the cracks in their overall gameplan, in that they didn't seem to have one. I think the loss of Ronaldo has meant they need to do things differently, it means that they need Benzema to chip in with far more goals, something he hasn't really been required to do for a while. 

Pereira playing as a no10 tonight. Interesting, he was in that role coming up before being moved further back as he tried to break into the first team, and he instantly looked much better at the weekend when he got shuffled a bit further forward. In the circumstances it probably is worth trying.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Pereira playing as a no10 tonight. Interesting, he was in that role coming up before being moved further back as he tried to break into the first team, and he instantly looked much better at the weekend when he got shuffled a bit further forward. In the circumstances it probably is worth trying.

All in all, you have very little to lose tonight.

OGS with a relevant substitution, for once. The little injury comedy was fun.

I wish he hadn't started Bailly though. He's partly guilty for this Bernat goal. Dalot would have deserved to start, considering his current form and how poor Young can be as a RW /RM. 

Fingers are crossed for this 2nd half. Won't be easy if we keep doing the 20% posession thing lol.

I'm not averse to PSG getting knocked out in comedy fashion again, and the horrified look on Neymar's face was pretty funny, but that was daylight robbery. The ref played a ridiculous amount of extra time too to try and make up for the penalty.

Anyway, Solskjaer has to have the job now.

Archived