Football: Bernaburned

mormont

It was just one of those games. I thought we played well (apart from the opening 15 minutes), created chances but the finishing was poor. Lukaku missed three great chances and Fred hit the post too. The penalty was a soft one but you've just got to suck that up - we got a favourable call against PSG afterall.

I thought Solskjaer got the selection slightly wrong. McTominay didn't deserve to be dropped for Matic - ever since stepping into the DM position, McTominay has put in performances as good as anything Matic has managed all season and he brings more mobility to the midfield as well. Martial should have started in place of Rashford who hasn't played too well ever since picking up that knock against Liverpool but had to play on as we were out of subs. He also had to keep playing because of all the other injuries but Solskjaer should have looked to give him a breather with Martial back. 

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

should have looked to give him a breather with Martial back. 

To be fair I doubt Martial is match fit yet either and we don't want a repeat of the Lingard situation.

But maybe he could have tried Greenwood for at least a bit longer, after all, it's not as if Rashford didn't make his name in a very similar situation.

But anyway yeah, not ideal but nothing to get stressed about. We had to break the run sometime and we hardly capitulated.

I still feel that De Gea can widely improve the way he confronts penalties. He haven't stopped one since 2016 (against... Lukaku), and for instance, the one Auba shot today was fairly reachable for him I think. 

Add that to his error of anticipation on Xhaka's strike, and you have one bad day in David De Gea's life. A day which is almost as rare as a 29th February, though.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

Huge win for Arsenal. 

:cheers: :D 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That battle for 3rd and 4th is going to be wicked. 

Looking at everyone's run-ins, top four is looking almost nailed on at this point. I can't quite believe it. Emery's had a phenomenal first season, all things considered. Unlike United, our first post-legend manager appears to have actually made the team better. 

Best atmosphere for years down there today. Couldn't be happier, frankly.

14 hours ago, Spockydog said:

:cheers: :D 

Looking at everyone's run-ins, top four is looking almost nailed on at this point. I can't quite believe it. Emery's had a phenomenal first season, all things considered. Unlike United, our first post-legend manager appears to have actually made the team better. 

Best atmosphere for years down there today. Couldn't be happier, frankly.

I’d be surprised if Arsenal didn’t drop points. Lots of away games.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Me too. But I"m pretty sure Chelsea and Spurs will as well. 

Fair. As an aside, Arsenal are 12 pts better this season than last. That’s pretty solid for Emery’s first season.

33 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

All four of of Arsenal, Spurs, United and Chelsea will drop some points but it's fair to say that Arsenal have much the easier run in and should get top 4 from here. 

Yea. This is true. Looking at the schedules, have to think United/Arsenal have the best run ins. Spurs/Cheslea big games are away whereas United's are home.

46 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Zidane back to Madrid 

Slightly odd choice from his point of view. I thought he'd timed his exit pretty much perfectly, it seems unlikely to go as well second time round. Maybe he was planning on getting the United job?

29 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Slightly odd choice from his point of view. I thought he'd timed his exit pretty much perfectly, it seems unlikely to go as well second time round. Maybe he was planning on getting the United job?

Incredibly odd, if true. I mean, where do you go after winning three European Cups with a team? What else do you achieve? Zidane leaving RM was one of the most sensible managerial resignations in my lifetime.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Zidane left reluctantly for reasons that have now changed. For example, that he was told that he wouldn't get big money to replace CRonaldo with a star signing and now the club have given in. 

10 minutes ago, mormont said:

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Zidane left reluctantly for reasons that have now changed

I reckon it's a combination of this, and he was kinda expecting to be offered the United job at the end of the season but given it's almost certainly going to Solskjaer he's just gone pfffffft fuck it and gone back to Madrid.

Also possible he feels that given how badly things have gone since he left he'll have a lot less pressure if it doesn't go well than if it'd just fallen apart under his stewardship.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Zidane left reluctantly for reasons that have now changed. For example, that he was told that he wouldn't get big money to replace CRonaldo with a star signing and now the club have given in. 

Probably this imo. I’m sure he has had assurances he will be backed heavily in the summer which he didn’t have last year. 

Archived