Football: Bernaburned

mormont

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shame, really wanted JM to go in and drag them further into the abyss. 

That was always unlikely to happen, as they also grew tired of his antics there towards the end of his reign.

Anyway, I think it was a combination of different factors that has lead Zidane to the believe his return is a sensible decission.

First there's probably an increased respect for him and his managerial work after his successors failed to badly.

Second (resulting from the first) he will face less criticism if things go badly, as in other managers have not done any better.

Third it looks like other managerial opportunities might have hoped for are not there; namely United probably sticking with Solskjaer.

Fourth He will probably get his wish to go on a shopping trip. I still think Kane will be their priority target this summer, and he won't go cheap.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Incredibly odd, if true. I mean, where do you go after winning three European Cups with a team? What else do you achieve? Zidane leaving RM was one of the most sensible managerial resignations in my lifetime.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Zidane left reluctantly for reasons that have now changed. For example, that he was told that he wouldn't get big money to replace CRonaldo with a star signing and now the club have given in. 

Completely agree. I thought he made a brilliant decision to leave when he did. Aging team that had already won 3 straight European cups, no CR, time to get out. If he turns this team around with some younger players that he can continue with it would be quite an achievement. If not, we'll all say he messed up coming back to Madrid.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Slightly odd choice from his point of view. I thought he'd timed his exit pretty much perfectly, it seems unlikely to go as well second time round. Maybe he was planning on getting the United job?

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I reckon it's a combination of this, and he was kinda expecting to be offered the United job at the end of the season but given it's almost certainly going to Solskjaer he's just gone pfffffft fuck it and gone back to Madrid.

I'm not so sure that he was waiting for/expecting the United job. Returning to Real Madrid is actually much less riskier for him than taking the United job - afterall we face an uphill battle just to finish in the top 4 (managing it only twice in the last five seasons) whereas at Real he already has a better squad going in and guaranteed CL qualification even if the team underperforms. I think he might have been waiting for/expecting the Juventus job but it doesn't look like Allegri will be leaving before his contract is up. 

The Ronaldo show. This is why Juve spent the money to get him. Atleti have done nothing in this game and are missing Costa badly. Morata's hold up play simply isn't good enough whereas Costa bullied the shit out of Chiellini and Bonucci in the 1st leg. 

Yeah, Juve played very well but Atleti have been absolute rubbish. Apart from Morata's header towards the end of the first half, they created nothing else. They brought on Correa and Vitolo and still didn't manage to get a shot on target. 

ETA. I'm kinda glad that Atleti are out. Simeone has done a great job there but the football is a chore to watch. 

As expected, City have hammered Schalke. That is one seriously embarrassing scoreline. 

Losing 7-0 at City is about 1% as embarrassing as losing 4-0 at home to Fortuna Düsseldorf. 10-2 on aggregate is about par for Schalke at the minute.

Slightly underwhelming England squad. Can’t believe Trippier is still in ahead of Wan-Bissaka. Maddison deserved a look in as does Ward-Prowse on current form. 

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

The great weak link with VAR (i.e. shit referees) rears its ugly head again. Suarez stepping on the defender, throwing himself theatrically to the ground, winning a penalty and somehow VAR upholds a ludicrous decision. 

Well, as Mark Knopfler said: VARred for life, no compensation

Just now, Consigliere said:

I'm surprised that VAR did not review the Bayern equaliser as well. I only saw the one replay but it looked like Gnabry might have been offside. :dunno:

He wasn't.

CBs deeper than Robertson, at least according to the lines on the pitch.

Archived