Football: Bernaburned

mormont

A big achievement to win away quite comfortably against a Bayern team very much in form lately.  A bit brainless from Robertson to pick up that booking when the game was over as a competition (and, for a second time, he didn’t cover Gnabry well).  

24 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I wonder if Klopp will play safe and use Milner instead though?

I wondered about that too.  Moreno hasn’t been near the first team in a very long time.  But Milner was very poor in his recent stint at RB.  I would guess that Klopp will stick with Milner, who he trusts. I just hope VVD can cover for him.

OK, we were talking about this the other day and now the text of the revised Laws for next season is out:

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/791/171520_110319_IFAB_LoG_changes_and_clarifications.pdf

The handball changes are substantial. This is the new text, replacing the old text (all of which has now been deleted, so this is an entirely new composition of the Law): 

It is an offence if a player:
• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
• gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:

1. • scores in the opponents’ goal
  2. • creates a goal-scoring opportunity

• scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper 

It is usually an offence if a player:
• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
• the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
• the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:
• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
• directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
•if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
• when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

Also of note, if an offence is committed by an unidentified team official, the senior coach gets a yellow or red card. Ouch. Players must be 4m away when a dropped ball is used to restart, effectively meaning dropped balls can no longer be contested. And you can be cautioned for 'excessively showing the TV signal for a VAR ‘review’ ', which I find hilarious. :p

Seems fine, the unnatural position stuff is only usually an offence.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

And you can be cautioned for 'excessively showing the TV signal for a VAR ‘review’ ', which I find hilarious. :p

Heh, that is good.  Cue the invention of a motion to show that an opponent is excessively VAR signalling.

Slavia Prague knock out Sevilla 6-5 on aggregate with their winner coming from a goalmouth scramble in the last second of extra time. Such a brilliant competition. First time Sevilla have lost a tie in it since 2011.

Earlier Frankfurt put in the last perfect European away performance to beat Inter 1-0. Didn’t allow the Italians a sniff and could have had two or three more themselves.

CL quarter final draw tomorrow.  I’d really like Barcelona, Ajax or Porto.  It’s boring to play against domestic rivals, and Juventus are too defensive as an opponent to offer an entertaining tie.  

We’ll probably get City or United though, and have a war of attrition over two exhausting legs.  

Archived