The past life of Bronn

Could be that Bronn and his companion Chiggen both were from Golden Company, and were sent by Varys to spy after Catelyn, when she departed from King's Landing.

Tyrion told Bronn about Tysha. And it was Bronn, who introduced Shae to Tyrion. So, if my theory is correct, then Varys has found out about Tysha thru Bronn, and Shae, same as Bronn, was one of Varys' agents.

There's additional connection between Bronn and Varys, thru Kettleblacks and Stokeworths.

I think, that Littlefinger used to be one of Varys' agents. So he knew about Varys' plan to make fAegon King of 7K. And he used that plan (with some alterations of it) to his own advantage, and launched that plan several years prior date planned by Varys.

It is possible, that the reason, why Varys recruited Littlefinger as his agent, is because, same as Varys (who is possibly bloodrelated to Blackfyres), Littlefinger is a dragonseed. I think, that he may be descendant of Aegon IV Targaryen. Could be, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was secret son of Aegon IV and his eight mistress Jeyne Lothston. It's also possible, that Jeyne was not only Aegon's lover, but also his bastard-daughter. So the real reason, why she was sent away from King's Landing, is not her illness, but because she was pregnant from her own father. She gave birth to Aegon's son, and to general public that baby was presented as the bastard-son of Jeyne's official father, Lucas Lothston. He was known as the Bastard of Harrenhal, same as Jon Snow was known to general public as the Bastard of Winterfell. After fall of House Lothston, Harrenhal was given to House Whent. It is known, that prior Whents became lords, they were knights in service of House Lothston. It is also known, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was a knight. Because in 193 AC he participated in tournament at King's Landing, and was defeated by Ser Arlan of Pennytree. During that same tournament, Ser Arlan had also defeated Lord Stokeworth. Falene Stokeworth was mother of Jeyne Lothston. If my theory about real identity of Harrenhal's bastard is correct, then Falene was his maternal grandmother, and thus, he was bloodrelated to Stokeworths, and Lord Stokeworth, that was defeated by Ser Arlan, was Bastard's great uncle, or some sort of cousin. Shella Whent's grandfather was first Lord Whent of Harrenhal. Based on timeframe of several different family trees, I made a conclusion, that it's possible, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was this first Lord Whent of Harrenhal, and that also he was father of Littlefinger's great-grandfather, who was a sellsword from Braavos, hired by Lord Corbray. Could be, that the Bastard of Harrenhal, who was one of unacknowledged children of Aegon IV, went to Braavos to meet with others like him - with Blackfyres, and with children of Bellegere Otherys. So, possibly, Littlefinger is a descendant of the Bastard of Harrenhal (who was son of Aegon IV and his daughter Jeyne Lothston) and daughter or granddaughter of Bellegere Otherys, Black Pearl of Braavos. If my theory is correct, and the Bastard of Harrenhal was a common ancestor of Littlefinger and Shella Whent, then children and grandchildren of Hoster Tully were all partially dragonseeds, and are bloodrelated to Littlefinger. Which also means, that if Varys is also a dragonseed, possibly, one of Blackfyres, then him and Littlefinger are also bloodrelated. And that bloodrelation is the reason, why in the past Varys had recruited Littlefinger (and his father) as his agent. So Kettleblacks were part of LF's household because they were installed there by Blackfyres. Kettleblacks were working for Blackfyres and their agents, such as Varys, but later they changed their allegiance, and now are working for Littlefinger (who is also a dragonseed).

If my theory is correct, then Littlefinger is also bloodrelated to House Stokeworth. Could be, that Bronn got married with Lollys Stokeworth, because to get their castle, is part of Varys' measures against Littlefinger. It seems, that Littlefinger is aware of his ancestry. So, could be, that he thinks, that Harrenhal is rightfully belongs to him. Maybe, he thinks the same thing about Castle Stokeworth. Maybe, there are evidences hiden somewhere either at Harrenhal, or at Castle Stokeworth, that prove, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was secret son of Aegon IV and granson of Falene Stokeworth. And Littlefinger has evidences, that his great-grandfather was son of the Bastard of Harrenhal. So Littlefinger can prove, that he is descendant of Aegon IV, thru two of his bloodlines - Jeyne Lothson and children of Bellegere Otherys.

To cut it short - Bronn is possibly a member of Golden Company, and is working for Varys. And all those Houses from above are part of his and Varys' plan to get Iron Throne for fAegon. It seems, that Bronn has already installed numerous members of Golden Company as guards at Red Keep. So they will serve their role, when Golden Company will be approaching King's Landing.

I'd honestly prefer it if he was just some random arsehole, who maybe grew up with shit parents, or no parents at all, so he learnt quickly how shit life could be. From there he just did whatever dirty trick he needed to survive, until he met Tyrion and saw him as his ticket to moving up in the world. 

3 hours ago, Megorova said:

Could be that Bronn and his companion Chiggen both were from Golden Company, and were sent by Varys to spy after Catelyn, when she departed from King's Landing.

Tyrion told Bronn about Tysha. And it was Bronn, who introduced Shae to Tyrion. So, if my theory is correct, then Varys has found out about Tysha thru Bronn, and Shae, same as Bronn, was one of Varys' agents.

There's additional connection between Bronn and Varys, thru Kettleblacks and Stokeworths.

I think, that Littlefinger used to be one of Varys' agents. So he knew about Varys' plan to make fAegon King of 7K. And he used that plan (with some alterations of it) to his own advantage, and launched that plan several years prior date planned by Varys.

It is possible, that the reason, why Varys recruited Littlefinger as his agent, is because, same as Varys (who is possibly bloodrelated to Blackfyres), Littlefinger is a dragonseed. I think, that he may be descendant of Aegon IV Targaryen. Could be, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was secret son of Aegon IV and his eight mistress Jeyne Lothston. It's also possible, that Jeyne was not only Aegon's lover, but also his bastard-daughter. So the real reason, why she was sent away from King's Landing, is not her illness, but because she was pregnant from her own father. She gave birth to Aegon's son, and to general public that baby was presented as the bastard-son of Jeyne's official father, Lucas Lothston. He was known as the Bastard of Harrenhal, same as Jon Snow was known to general public as the Bastard of Winterfell. After fall of House Lothston, Harrenhal was given to House Whent. It is known, that prior Whents became lords, they were knights in service of House Lothston. It is also known, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was a knight. Because in 193 AC he participated in tournament at King's Landing, and was defeated by Ser Arlan of Pennytree. During that same tournament, Ser Arlan had also defeated Lord Stokeworth. Falene Stokeworth was mother of Jeyne Lothston. If my theory about real identity of Harrenhal's bastard is correct, then Falene was his maternal grandmother, and thus, he was bloodrelated to Stokeworths, and Lord Stokeworth, that was defeated by Ser Arlan, was Bastard's great uncle, or some sort of cousin. Shella Whent's grandfather was first Lord Whent of Harrenhal. Based on timeframe of several different family trees, I made a conclusion, that it's possible, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was this first Lord Whent of Harrenhal, and that also he was father of Littlefinger's great-grandfather, who was a sellsword from Braavos, hired by Lord Corbray. Could be, that the Bastard of Harrenhal, who was one of unacknowledged children of Aegon IV, went to Braavos to meet with others like him - with Blackfyres, and with children of Bellegere Otherys. So, possibly, Littlefinger is a descendant of the Bastard of Harrenhal (who was son of Aegon IV and his daughter Jeyne Lothston) and daughter or granddaughter of Bellegere Otherys, Black Pearl of Braavos. If my theory is correct, and the Bastard of Harrenhal was a common ancestor of Littlefinger and Shella Whent, then children and grandchildren of Hoster Tully were all partially dragonseeds, and are bloodrelated to Littlefinger. Which also means, that if Varys is also a dragonseed, possibly, one of Blackfyres, then him and Littlefinger are also bloodrelated. And that bloodrelation is the reason, why in the past Varys had recruited Littlefinger (and his father) as his agent. So Kettleblacks were part of LF's household because they were installed there by Blackfyres. Kettleblacks were working for Blackfyres and their agents, such as Varys, but later they changed their allegiance, and now are working for Littlefinger (who is also a dragonseed).

If my theory is correct, then Littlefinger is also bloodrelated to House Stokeworth. Could be, that Bronn got married with Lollys Stokeworth, because to get their castle, is part of Varys' measures against Littlefinger. It seems, that Littlefinger is aware of his ancestry. So, could be, that he thinks, that Harrenhal is rightfully belongs to him. Maybe, he thinks the same thing about Castle Stokeworth. Maybe, there are evidences hiden somewhere either at Harrenhal, or at Castle Stokeworth, that prove, that the Bastard of Harrenhal was secret son of Aegon IV and granson of Falene Stokeworth. And Littlefinger has evidences, that his great-grandfather was son of the Bastard of Harrenhal. So Littlefinger can prove, that he is descendant of Aegon IV, thru two of his bloodlines - Jeyne Lothson and children of Bellegere Otherys.

To cut it short - Bronn is possibly a member of Golden Company, and is working for Varys. And all those Houses from above are part of his and Varys' plan to get Iron Throne for fAegon. It seems, that Bronn has already installed numerous members of Golden Company as guards at Red Keep. So they will serve their role, when Golden Company will be approaching King's Landing.

Wow - that is a well thought out theory.

Thanks so much!

It would not surprise me to learn that Varys has more folks on the payroll than we know of.

5 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Is there anything anyone has ever found that sheds any light on what this guy was up to before we meet him via Tyrion?

There must be a cool backstory to such a bad ass character, but I can find nothing.

I think it's more likely that, if anything, Bronn is, or was, working for Littlefinger. He was at the inn at LF's direction looking for Tyrion, because LF most definitely does not want Tyrion to return to KL and reveal the lie about the dagger. Once in the Vale, however, Bronn switched allegiance to Tyrion because he saw that he could probably get lands and titles from the son of Tywin Lannister, which is better than just gold from the Master of Coin.

He still tries to play a double game, however, by introducing Tyrion to Shae, who, in my mind is far more likely to be working for LF than for Varys. She is exactly the kind of operative that LF would produce in his brothels: whip smart, seductive, but a commoner who would be perceived as a non-threat by people like Tyrion and Tywin. I also find it interesting that on at least three separate occasions, Shae asks to serve Tyrion at the royal wedding -- twice mentioning that she wants to see pigeons fly out of a pie, which of course was when the poisoning was to happen. I think LF is putting pressure on her to be his eyes and ears in the throne room, to no avail. And as the person to both handle the hairnet and serve Tyrion his pie, she would be the perfect poisoner (because the target was Tyrion and the poison was in the pie) and LF would not have to involve Lady O at all.

Or, it was all just a chance encounter and Bronn is exactly who he says he is: a common sellsword.

39 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

I think it's more likely that, if anything, Bronn is, or was, working for Littlefinger. He was at the inn at LF's direction looking for Tyrion, because LF most definitely does not want Tyrion to return to KL and reveal the lie about the dagger. Once in the Vale, however, Bronn switched allegiance to Tyrion because he saw that he could probably get lands and titles from the son of Tywin Lannister, which is better than just gold from the Master of Coin.

He still tries to play a double game, however, by introducing Tyrion to Shae, who, in my mind is far more likely to be working for LF than for Varys. She is exactly the kind of operative that LF would produce in his brothels: whip smart, seductive, but a commoner who would be perceived as a non-threat by people like Tyrion and Tywin. I also find it interesting that on at least three separate occasions, Shae asks to serve Tyrion at the royal wedding -- twice mentioning that she wants to see pigeons fly out of a pie, which of course was when the poisoning was to happen. I think LF is putting pressure on her to be his eyes and ears in the throne room, to no avail. And as the person to both handle the hairnet and serve Tyrion his pie, she would be the perfect poisoner (because the target was Tyrion and the poison was in the pie) and LF would not have to involve Lady O at all.

Or, it was all just a chance encounter and Bronn is exactly who he says he is: a common sellsword.

Shae wanting to be at the wedding does seem a little too fishy to be a coincidence.

So many possibilities.

Seems Bronn is someones man, though. 

7 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Is there anything anyone has ever found that sheds any light on what this guy was up to before we meet him via Tyrion?

There must be a cool backstory to such a bad ass character, but I can find nothing.

Not to put too much of a damper on things, but Bronn's backstory is whatever GRRM decides best moves someone's story forward.  At this point, I don't think he actually has a backstory.  Up till now, he has mostly been a plot device for Tyrion and, later, Cersei.  

I expect he is an ordinary sellsword of no great loyalty who will go where he thinks he can get the best deal.

1 minute ago, Nevets said:

Not to put too much of a damper on things, but Bronn's backstory is whatever GRRM decides best moves someone's story forward.  At this point, I don't think he actually has a backstory.  Up till now, he has mostly been a plot device for Tyrion and, later, Cersei.  

I expect he is an ordinary sellsword of no great loyalty who will go where he thinks he can get the best deal.

Yeah - I guess not every character needs an elaborate crytic backstory LOL.

He does come across as exactly that - sellsword with no particular loyalty but to his wallet and his own life.

I seem to recall reading that Bronn had been north of the Wall before but can't find the text right now. Not that he was a wildling (too good with swords) or a NW deserter (not seen any reason to think that). Am I remembering that right? If so, it points to a more adventurous past than what one might expect from him. 

6 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I'd honestly prefer it if he was just some random arsehole, who maybe grew up with shit parents, or no parents at all, so he learnt quickly how shit life could be. From there he just did whatever dirty trick he needed to survive, until he met Tyrion and saw him as his ticket to moving up in the world. 

I believe this is true.

31 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I seem to recall reading that Bronn had been north of the Wall before but can't find the text right now. Not that he was a wildling (too good with swords) or a NW deserter (not seen any reason to think that). Am I remembering that right? If so, it points to a more adventurous past than what one might expect from him. 

I looked briefly with search terms 'Bronn' and 'North' and 'Wall'. Couldn't find anything.

It may have been from that thing we don't talk about. I feel I remember seeing/hearing something similar. Same thing with Dorne.

Just now, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I looked briefly with search terms 'Bronn' and 'North' and 'Wall'. Couldn't find anything.

It may have been from that thing we don't talk about. I feel I remember seeing/hearing something similar. Same thing with Dorne.

That may be. I've mixed up the books and Voldemort by accident before. 

8 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

4 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

The reference to being beyond the Wall is from the first season of the show.  In the books, his past is essentially a blank slate; to be written on as GRRM pleases, or not.

I'm near certain that Bronn is currently working for/with Varys. 

Varys has a vested interest in what happens in the crownlands because of Aegon's landing. The odds, I think, are good that he removed Tyrek to remove any Lannister influence at Hayford. 

Bronn is now the lord of Stokeworth. Cersei made opened the way for him by suggesting to Tanda that he marries her daughter. And it's when he named Lollys's son Tyrion that Cersei came undone on that front. I think the name was chosen carefully and on purpose and that it may have been Varys's suggestion because he knew Cersei would lose her mind and become paranoid.

Then we get Tanda's fall from her horse and subsequent death and Cersei asking Balman Byrch to get rid of Bronn, which effectively put Stokeworth in Bronn's hands and right before Aegon's landing. Aegon with whom Tyrion was traveling until he decided he had to have his itch scratched.

There's also the Rosby situation which Cersei and later Kevan did not deal with. The fact that Gyles Rosby's ward turned Falyse away may mean that he was promised the castle and the lands by someone.

And just like that, three houses that were once loyal to House Targaryen could be back in the fold and declaring for Aegon.

13 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Yeah same here. I spend so much time rewatching and rereading everything the lines do start to get fuzzy.

12 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I think it would make a little more sense that Bronn would be working for the side that is for the common people. Team fAegon/Tyrion/Varys are all about the smallfolk and seem to be the 'good guys'.

Littlefinger has no good guy qualities.

Regardless of money - my gut tells me if Bronn is in someones pocket it would be team Varys before LF.

3 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Yeah same here. I spend so much time rewatching and rereading everything the lines do start to get fuzzy.

I think it would make a little more sense that Bronn would be working for the side that is for the common people. Team fAegon/Tyrion/Varys are all about the smallfolk and seem to be the 'good guys'.

Littlefinger has no good guy qualities.

Regardless of money - my gut tells me if Bronn is in someones pocket it would be team Varys before LF.

Varys is absolutely not for the smallfolk. He actively sabotaged attempts to stabilise the realm and worked to keep Cersei on the throne whose actions were awful for the smallfolk (let he Reach burn and suffer, as example numero uno). Varys says he is for the little guy but Varys says lots of stuff, a lot of it BS

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

Varys is absolutely not for the smallfolk. He actively sabotaged attempts to stabilise the realm and worked to keep Cersei on the throne whose actions were awful for the smallfolk (let he Reach burn and suffer, as example numero uno). Varys says he is for the little guy but Varys says lots of stuff, a lot of it BS

You are absolutely right - he has caused immense suffering.

But I think he wants stability as an end goal more so than Littlefinger at least.

Even if Varys' goal is to install fAegon as King, would that not benefit the smallfolk in a round about way, to have stability again?

I don't think stability is on LF's agenda - at all.

But yes you are right - he has not done everything in his power to aid the smallfolk like he could have.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:32 PM, John Suburbs said:

On 3/7/2019 at 1:46 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Varys has a vested interest in what happens in the crownlands because of Aegon's landing. The odds, I think, are good that he removed Tyrek to remove any Lannister influence at Hayford. 

Bronn is now the lord of Stokeworth. Cersei made opened the way for him by suggesting to Tanda that he marries her daughter. And it's when he named Lollys's son Tyrion that Cersei came undone on that front. I think the name was chosen carefully and on purpose and that it may have been Varys's suggestion because he knew Cersei would lose her mind and become paranoid.

Then we get Tanda's fall from her horse and subsequent death and Cersei asking Balman Byrch to get rid of Bronn, which effectively put Stokeworth in Bronn's hands and right before Aegon's landing. Aegon with whom Tyrion was traveling until he decided he had to have his itch scratched.

There's also the Rosby situation which Cersei and later Kevan did not deal with. The fact that Gyles Rosby's ward turned Falyse away may mean that he was promised the castle and the lands by someone.

And just like that, three houses that were once loyal to House Targaryen could be back in the fold and declaring for Aegon.

After reading these posts I made up this:

Littlefinger was the first person Bronn worked for. He should make sure Catelyn gets to the Eyrie or Winterfell so LF could get rid of Tyrion.

On the Eyrie his task was either done or that Lannister gold was more worth tha LFs.

Maybe LF blackmailed him about his first assignment to get Shae in, maybe it was coincidence he run into one of LF people or maybe she got recruted long after her first night with Tyrion. 

However after Tyrions imprisonment Bronn had very bad cards: His former boss was a traitor and his promises unfulfilled. I think Cersei might helped to arrange the marriage but the man Bronn has truly to thank for is probably Varys. And Varys made sure Bronn kows it and will be grateful 

Archived