Clegane vs Clegane...science vs religion...

Ser Uncle P

...not saying that the upcoming and long foreshadowed duel between Sandor and Gregor is specifically about science and religion, but there's an nice juxtaposition in how the 2 brothers got there. 

Sandor owes his life to Septon Ray using the "best" religion has to offer. In the show Ray shows charity and high ethics without dogma. He (like Elder Brother in Feast) is Good Samaritan-like in helping the dying Sandor back to health. 

On the other hand Gregor is "alive" by the work of a rogue scientist; Qyburn who is highly knowledge and capable but without ethics. He has no emotional reason to want Gregor to live, unless as a walking symbol of Qyburn defying the Citadel. 

Ray (or Elder Brother) is an interesting counterpart to Qyburn. The Septon is an example of the good that religion can do, while Qyburn is an example of scientific knowledge without an ethical compass. 

Thoughts...

They continued to build it up in season 7 at the parlay. I will be disappointed if the hound doesn't get a chance to take down the mountain.  

On 3/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, Kajjo said:

I am pretty sure, Arya is going against the Mountain. That'd make sense after all.

"Clegane bowl" would be utterly stupid.

The mountain is definitely on her list but I would argue the hound has a much bigger and better claim to conquer Mr Everest.  Also Arya doesn't really matchup well against undead sir gregor.

What would be stupid about one of the most anticipated fights between arguably the two strongest men in the realm?  I always felt like it will be an epic battle.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:49 PM, Bradam said:

I'm hoping they don't do that cliche fight.. would be more interesting to see something unexpected like Arya let out Ella Martel, presuming she's still alive, and her backstab the mountain for revenge.

What in the world could lead you to think Elia Martell is still around? And how did you come up with Arya being the one to bring her back into the fold?  I agree that would be an interesting twist, and definitely unexpected. 

Just a twinge too much tin foil in this one for me. 

Its hard to judge time in this show, but we never saw Elia die.  Cersi told her she intended to keep her alive for a long time to watch her daughter's corpse rot away. Even told her she'd be force fed if she refused to eat.  How long has passed since Elia was locked away? Few months maybe?  Seems entirely possible she's still alive. Being that the actress isn't back I'd guess it's safe to bet we will never see or hear of Elia again.

One of the biggest reasons I like this show is it completely ignores the same boring cliches of good vrs evil and everyone always getting thier revenge and hero's journey etc.   Really hoping they avoid a super cheesy cleganebowl and instead have anything more unexpected happen to the up those stories.

4 hours ago, Bradam said:

Its hard to judge time in this show, but we never saw Elia die.  Cersi told her she intended to keep her alive for a long time to watch her daughter's corpse rot away. Even told her she'd be force fed if she refused to eat.  How long has passed since Elia was locked away? Few months maybe?  Seems entirely possible she's still alive. Being that the actress isn't back I'd guess it's safe to bet we will never see or hear of Elia again.

One of the biggest reasons I like this show is it completely ignores the same boring cliches of good vrs evil and everyone always getting thier revenge and hero's journey etc.   Really hoping they avoid a super cheesy cleganebowl and instead have anything more unexpected happen to the up those stories.

Oh I think you mean Ellaria Sand (prince Oberyn's paramour) not Elia Marttell (his sister). Much more likely scenario.

The mountain doesn't seem to have much of a say in the matter of who he fights anymore.  I assume his entire story is tied to the Qyburn magic keeping him moving.

What could be better for the hound?  The hound's track record does not really come off as the typical hero good guy to me. What is cheesy about his revenge? 

Ah my bad, your right I mixed up Elia and Ellaria.

With the Hound it's more that it's expected he will fight and most likely kill whatever is left of his brother.  Id rather see some surprising twist or someone else do it since in real life things rarely end how we hope. Plus it'd make a good scene of the Hound confronting his brothers killer and chastising but secretly thanking them.  More scences with Sandor the better.

23 hours ago, Staenerys Stargaryen said:

How many named characters will fall to sir gregor before he is stopped for good?  I'll set the over under at 3.5....

Named characters? Under

Redshirts? Over, probably way over.

I also think Clegane bowl will happen. It's an easy win for D&D to appease most show fans. I think the more interesting thing would be if the Mountain actually wins. Since almost everyone assumes the Hound will...

Archived