Who betrayed Ariannes plans?

maiden of tarth

Was it someone in her group? Was it someone we’ve come across in her chapters? Normally GRRM lets slip little clues that allude to someone’s motives/identity and such. No matter how much I re-read Ariannes chapters, I can’t seem to find any clues or foreshadowing that hint to her betrayal. Am I missing something? 

• 1 month later...

I'm almost done with AFFC and I have the same question. When locked up in her tower, Arianne thought about all the possible traitors, save...Myrcella herself. And if it was Myrcella, who saw her escape as an abduction?

(It is maybe not the right place to add that, but I really appreciated the final twist, with Doran at last spelling out his secret plans linked to the Targaryans...I understood that Arianne was promised to Viserys and that Quentyn is on his way to marry Daenerys...)

It was Andrey Dalt. We get several clues in the Queenmaker chapter:

• We are told that he is not the most valorous of knights - then you have to ask yourself what he is doing partaking in a plot that could easily cost him his life if anything goes wrong.
  • We are told that he suggested a larger party to Arianne, but she refused because she believed more people increased the risk of someone betraying them. A larger party would have been an easy way for Doran to infiltrate more of his own men in the group.
  • When Areo Hotah shows up, he is the first one to say anything while everyone is still shocked. He acts surprised - "There's the last face I'd hoped to see" - which sounds more like he's trying to deflect suspicion.
  • When Areo orders them to yield, he immediately advises Arianne to listen to him and he drops his sword without waiting for a confirmation from her. A very strong hint that he was working with Areo all along.

Then we can look at the others, their actions and their punishments:

• Aerys gets himself killed trying to fight Areo, and if it was him he wouldn't have brought the princess there to begin with.
  • Darkstar tries to kill Myrcella, which would have been totally counter to Doran's interests.
  • Spotted Silva is married to an old dude who already has a lot of heirs, so there's nothing in the marriage for her, the punishment is real.
  • Garin is sent away to Tyrosh (I think), which would be painful for him because he's an orphan of the Greenblood and he loves living on the river, again, the punishment is real.

Andrey Dalt is sent to Norvos to serve Mellario Martel, which could in truth be a mission to inform her about Quentin's quest and get her to help him and Daenerys return to Dorne, if he is indeed Doran's trusted man.

18 hours ago, The Coconut God said:

• We are told that he is not the most valorous of knights - then you have to ask yourself what he is doing partaking in a plot that could easily cost him his life if anything goes wrong.
  • We are told that he suggested a larger party to Arianne, but she refused because she believed more people increased the risk of someone betraying them. A larger party would have been an easy way for Doran to infiltrate more of his own men in the group.
  • When Areo Hotah shows up, he is the first one to say anything while everyone is still shocked. He acts surprised - "There's the last face I'd hoped to see" - which sounds more like he's trying to deflect suspicion.
  • When Areo orders them to yield, he immediately advises Arianne to listen to him and he drops his sword without waiting for a confirmation from her. A very strong hint that he was working with Areo all along.

• Aerys gets himself killed trying to fight Areo, and if it was him he wouldn't have brought the princess there to begin with.
  • Darkstar tries to kill Myrcella, which would have been totally counter to Doran's interests.
  • Spotted Silva is married to an old dude who already has a lot of heirs, so there's nothing in the marriage for her, the punishment is real.
  • Garin is sent away to Tyrosh (I think), which would be painful for him because he's an orphan of the Greenblood and he loves living on the river, again, the punishment is real.

Andrey Dalt is sent to Norvos to serve Mellario Martel, which could in truth be a mission to inform her about Quentin's quest and get her to help him and Daenerys return to Dorne, if he is indeed Doran's trusted man.

There it goes....I'm convinced.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:38 AM, The Coconut God said:

There are symbolic reasons why I like your choice too. Andrey Dalt - aka Drey - is brother to Ser Deziel Dalt who is the Knight of Lemonwood. I encourage you to reread the Queenmaker chapter and take note of all the references to lemons and pissing. In other words, symbolically we are being told that Drey "pissed" all over Arianne's plans. Furthermore, because Darkstar prefers to drink unsweetened lemonwater and he leaves the group to take a piss, I think he already knows or at least suspected that Drey has told, and that is why Darkstar tried to convince Arianne to allow him to kill Myrcella before reaching their destination. If he was convinced their plan would work, he would've been patient, but since he already revealed he thinks killing Myrcella is the best way to start a war, it's possible that he knew the jig was up.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:38 AM, The Coconut God said:

Oh wow. That’s so good and really well explained. I’m off to reread the chapter now. Thank you 

On 4/16/2019 at 8:04 PM, Feather Crystal said:

There are symbolic reasons why I like your choice too. Andrey Dalt - aka Drey - is brother to Ser Deziel Dalt who is the Knight of Lemonwood. I encourage you to reread the Queenmaker chapter and take note of all the references to lemons and pissing. In other words, symbolically we are being told that Drey "pissed" all over Arianne's plans. Furthermore, because Darkstar prefers to drink unsweetened lemonwater and he leaves the group to take a piss, I think he already knows or at least suspected that Drey has told, and that is why Darkstar tried to convince Arianne to allow him to kill Myrcella before reaching their destination. If he was convinced their plan would work, he would've been patient, but since he already revealed he thinks killing Myrcella is the best way to start a war, it's possible that he knew the jig was up.

That's a very interesting interpretation. I never noticed that angle. :D

If Darkstar suspected something, the way he replied when Drey warned him about the local vipers could be read as a veiled threat: "I was weaned on venom, Dalt. Any viper takes a bite of me will rue it."

Archived