Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

26 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm not super knowledgeable about this aspect of the comics, but I believe the Skrulls and Kree are both somewhat morally grey in the comics, with good and bad guys in both. In fact, I believe there's even a story where Talos and Ronan join forces against a mutual, greater enemy that threatens both races. I think that moral ambiguity will come back if they reappear in the future.

Yeah, the cosmic side of marvel had the kree/skrull war as a backdrop for decades. The skrulls were usually just bad but the kree good/bad depending on the situation.

I guess they could still have skrulls as antagonists as I'd hardly blame some of them declaring war on the kree but in a guerilla or terrorist style. Always better to have a mix instead of an entire alien race just bring one thing

I think that the Kree aren't bad guys exactly, they're just wanting to beat the Skrulls. And honestly, the Skrulls are kind of a horrifying race to fight against, bypassing virtually every single security measure you might have and able to disrupt cheaply and easily. It's obviously gone way past that now - especially with Ronan - but I don't think the Kree are something like the worst things in the universe, nor are they meant to be portrayed that way. 

Though I don't know why they fought a war with Xandar, why they lost, or what was up with that. 

34 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think that the Kree aren't bad guys exactly, they're just wanting to beat the Skrulls. And honestly, the Skrulls are kind of a horrifying race to fight against, bypassing virtually every single security measure you might have and able to disrupt cheaply and easily. It's obviously gone way past that now - especially with Ronan - but I don't think the Kree are something like the worst things in the universe, nor are they meant to be portrayed that way.

They pretty much are presented as complete bad guys. At least Talos says they started the war with no real justification and they're now hunting down and exterminating refugees and Carol (and presumably Mar Vel) seems to be accepting that without many questions.

Personally I think it'd be a little more interesting if the Kree had some valid justification for their side in the conflict but it had spiralled out of control. Again, more to the point I think it'd be more interesting if Carol still saw some good in the Kree and she was reluctant to fight them. If she's going to be so overpowered at least give her some reason to not want to use her powers. I think that's basically the problem with most of the Marvel films, the bad guys aren't very interesting and on top of that they don't really challenge the heroes when it comes down to it.

Well, we only hear Talos' side of it. The Kree leaders never talk about the Skrulls, we only hear it from people like Ronan (who sees them as an infestation and apparently is allowed to blow everything up to get rid of them) or Yonn (who sees them as a dangerous enemy and not to be trusted). 

I don't honestly think Carol is going to fight the Kree. I think she's going to end the war. She's going to gather up the Skrulls, put them in a place that the Kree can't get to them, and say 'see? You have nothing to fight over now'. And naturally they then fight Xandar for reasons. 

The mcu aliens need to hire a hollywood agent to ensure aliens are presented in a more cogent manner.   So cosmic factions are clearly defined and the films stop passing the buck on to the next movie.  Aliens need outside representation.  Feige has let them down.

Also, nova corps blew up a long time ago and we ain't gots no Nova still yet already.   Come on cosmic crew.  Shit.

9 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Isn't that just "space-tech"?  

Well yeah but why are they sending signals many times faster than the speed of light when they can’t travel that fast? A lot of sci-fi stuff has that kind of ansible technology (not usually constructed from bits and bobs from Radio Shack as far as I know), it’s usually some kind of quantum entanglement type deal, maybe that’s what their jump points are based around too. Doesn’t really matter except that they did make a big deal about that FTL engine.

9 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

thought the ship with the refugees flew away at the end using the FTL drive?

I thought Mar Vell had literally just finished the drive when Yonn Rogg showed up - that was what she and Carol were testing.

But then she blew it up.  And Mar Vell was dead so how did it get in the ship in the end?

10 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I would like more back story on Mar Vell and Talos' relationship.  Did they have one?  Was it just a coincidence that Mar Vell was hiding his family?  Is looked like Talos had never seen his daughter before he got on that ship - so how long was Mar Vell hiding those Skrulls above Earth?

That poor Skrull family were stuck in orbit for 6 years not knowing wtf was up.  Just constantly playing pinball probably with Elastica playing in the background.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I don't honestly think Carol is going to fight the Kree. I think she's going to end the war. She's going to gather up the Skrulls, put them in a place that the Kree can't get to them, and say 'see? You have nothing to fight over now'. And naturally they then fight Xandar for reasons. 

It could be interesting if she arranged for Xandar to give the Skrulls asylum, hence the war with them. Then somehow they reassure the Kree that they don’t pose a threat and it ends the war (or maybe they just outgun the Kree so they give up). Then Thanos destroying the Nova Corps puts the Skrulls back in play for Phase 4.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

Regarding the ages of aunts and fathers...

John Tyler was the tenth president of the US from 1841-45 and still has two living grandsons.

It's funny you brought this up...I only discovered this about 2 weeks ago when I went down a wiki rabbit-hole, and I was astounded by it.  I must have told 20 people at work that day - "do you know the 10th president of the US still has living grandchildren?!?!?"

It might well be that the kree are slaves to the supreme intelligence (I think it was wise they went for the movie interpretation over the giant head in a green fish tank) - so it maybe wasn't the Kree's idea to go to war with the skrulls but rather the AI destroying a threat before it became one, or figuring out the Kree would become stronger by engaging in the war. The kree/supreme intelligence is actually a lot more relevant these days than they were when first conjured up. The Kree could easily become antagonists or an intergalactic empire that can be good/bad eg USA/British empire. I also like how AI with the Kree can generate the kind of zealots many of us fool ourselves into thinking only religion can create.

Jude Law's character maybe only did what he did based on his encounters with the supreme intelligence. Didn't he say it told him about Captain Marvel? It still makes him weak-willed? I vaguely recall something like that at the start of the film. 

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

It might well be that the kree are slaves to the supreme intelligence (I think it was wise they went for the movie interpretation over the giant head in a green fish tank) - so it maybe wasn't the Kree's idea to go to war with the skrulls but rather the AI destroying a threat before it became one, or figuring out the Kree would become stronger by engaging in the war. The kree/supreme intelligence is actually a lot more relevant these days than they were when first conjured up. The Kree could easily become antagonists or an intergalactic empire that can be good/bad eg USA/British empire. I also like how AI with the Kree can generate the kind of zealots many of us fool ourselves into thinking only religion can create.

Jude Law's character maybe only did what he did based on his encounters with the supreme intelligence. Didn't he say it told him about Captain Marvel? It still makes him weak-willed? I vaguely recall something like that at the start of the film. 

Yeah this is absolutely my interpretation as well - the MCU Kree aren't immoral, they are amoral. Their entire civilisations course is determined by an AI that is presumably operating solely on utilitarian Kree first logic.

The only Kree we see that crosses into doing awful stuff because they choose to is Ronan (and potentially his followers) and the Kree ignoring his Vendetta against Nova Corps is also explained by having an AI calling the shots that decided it works in their interests did him to continue fighting. And because the supreme intelligence has taken on a religious role within their society they don't even think to question the morality of what it orders.

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. I have very little knowledge of the characters so I have no preconceived thoughts of how they should act. I liked the way it set itself into the MCU timelines. Loved all the 90's  throw backs, and timely since I head last week that there is now only one Blockbuster video still open in the world! 

Loved the beginning with the Stan Lee tribute.

My theater didn't show the new Avengers trailer before this movie? WTF? The trailer was playing in the lobby so I only half paid attention because I expected to see it before the movie but nope.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Saw this today and really enjoyed it. I have very little knowledge of the characters so I have no preconceived thoughts of how they should act. I liked the way it set itself into the MCU timelines. Loved all the 90's  throw backs, and timely since I head last week that there is now only one Blockbuster video still open in the world! 

Loved the beginning with the Stan Lee tribute.

My theater didn't show the new Avengers trailer before this movie? WTF? The trailer was playing in the lobby so I only half paid attention because I expected to see it before the movie but nope.

They did the same thing with Black Panther. Probably don't want people spoiled, I guess.

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

They did the same thing with Black Panther. Probably don't want people spoiled, I guess.

And yet it was playing in the lobby, AND Spider man was a preview?!?!?!?

20 minutes ago, dbunting said:

And yet it was playing in the lobby, AND Spider man was a preview?!?!?!?

We did get an Avengers trailer before Captain Marvel when I went. There was also a Shazam trailer shown beforehand, it's probably a good thing they didn't use the Captain Marvel name for that as well, or people could have been quite confused.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

More I think about it the more I like it. Larson in particular I think was just fantastic. Knocked it out of the park.

eh, she was OK. The big problem was the script and the director / editor's choices in presenting her. Some scenes she comes off as fantastic, particularly some of the emoting scenes and her back and forth with Fury, while other times it was just flat face / dead eyes. 

She also runs really weird -- it threw me out of the movie in the first quarter, when she's required to run a lot. In one of the first scenes she's running like she's knock-kneed (maybe she is?) and it threw me out every time after.

well she did fall down a lot as a kid.   B). Call it knock kneed if you want.   I was conscious of this for .5 seconds and then forgot all about it with little difficulty.

Re: her face acting and woodenness worries- -I was also happy with the character.  Brie did fine with what she was given.  So i'm echoing the sentiment she could have been given more to do.   Like the kree city center could have been on display during their night fight instead of an empty room, so we could see a sequence of alien culture interactions and tech tidbits as the camera circled them on a rooftop, similar to how they got more mileage out of Xandar.   The dank subway car was another missed opportunity to show Vers enjoying the kree lifestyle, maybe a see through solid energy tram like she's floating in the open air so you get maximum visibility of the civ below.   They were in space and they delivered but a taste.  And she didn't get her Ironman 3 moment of saving a flock of humans falling out of a plane.  And there wasn't a real argument with british hunk alien to show off her drama ability.  Oh well.   The supposed political content didn't even raise an eyebrow, so all the hullaballoo over that was for nothing.   It fit into the movie seamlessly without ruffling any feathers or feeling out of place or anything.   And the character is awesome, she just needs a faster vehicle  (a movie with more blockbuster feel, rather than  a Blockbuster set) so we can see her hair blowing in the wind some more, metaphorically, like how Cap benefited from Cap 2.

Archived