Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

31 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

She also runs really weird -- it threw me out of the movie in the first quarter, when she's required to run a lot. In one of the first scenes she's running like she's knock-kneed (maybe she is?) and it threw me out every time after.

I know this is stupid but I saw the same thing. She was running in a hallway or something and I had a flashback to Phoebe running on Friends! 

36 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Fury also runs like a 60 year old man. There were times when it wasn’t a stunt double and it looked odd

I found this far more distracting. They can cgi his face all they want but he still shuffles his age when running and crouching - it almost felt like they edited out the old man "uhs" when sitting. I know because i make that noise.

As for Larson running. I gave her a pass as she was either running bare foot or with stupid arm manacles both of which probably affect running style if not used to it. We can't all go to the Tom cruise theatrical running school! I'm trying to remember which actor said (possibly will smith) that real running looks stupid on screen while cruise-style is unnatural but cinematically pleasing.  

Thing I noticed about Larson running was that she doesn’t have a superhero body in the same way that Gal Gadot does. So when you make her run around barefoot and she’s like about 5’4 and her body shape is pretty average, it doesn’t look all that inspiring. She just looked like a normal person. That can be distracting in a superhero movie

As was mentioned before I like the presentation of the Supreme Intelligence (instead of a giant head in a vat). However powerful Captain Marvel is at bashing stuff up, defeating a portable AI archenemy who can hide anywhere and resurrect themselves anywhere is going to be a challenge.

13 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I don't honestly think Carol is going to fight the Kree. I think she's going to end the war. She's going to gather up the Skrulls, put them in a place that the Kree can't get to them, and say 'see? You have nothing to fight over now'. And naturally they then fight Xandar for reasons. 

I would be very impressed if Captain Marvel was inadvertently responsible for the Kree v Xandar war because she removed the Skrulls from the equation.  That would also give her a reason not to come back to Earth for a while - she's mopping up all these messes!

13 hours ago, john said:

Well yeah but why are they sending signals many times faster than the speed of light when they can’t travel that fast? A lot of sci-fi stuff has that kind of ansible technology (not usually constructed from bits and bobs from Radio Shack as far as I know), it’s usually some kind of quantum entanglement type deal, maybe that’s what their jump points are based around too. Doesn’t really matter except that they did make a big deal about that FTL engine.

I'm not in any way techie (obviously) - but don't we have technology that does that?  Can we travel as fast as mobile phone signals?  

But then she blew it up.  And Mar Vell was dead so how did it get in the ship in the end?

Maybe she installed a FTL on the ship before the test, but they needed a power source to activate it?  I can't remember what they did to make it work.

That poor Skrull family were stuck in orbit for 6 years not knowing wtf was up.  Just constantly playing pinball probably with Elastica playing in the background.

Were they waiting for Talos?  Maybe they just had no way of moving the ship?  Could they get to Earth?  Because they could have blended in there.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Thing I noticed about Larson running was that she doesn’t have a superhero body in the same way that Gal Gadot does. So when you make her run around barefoot and she’s like about 5’4 and her body shape is pretty average, it doesn’t look all that inspiring. She just looked like a normal person. That can be distracting in a superhero movie

Wonder Woman is an Amazon - they're supposed to be statuesque.  Carol was a fighter pilot - and being slightly shorter probably helps with that.  Her physique is not her superpower - though I think Brie Lawson developed some impressive skillz for this movie.

Just now, Mosi Mynn said:

Wonder Woman is an Amazon - they're supposed to be statuesque.  Carol was a fighter pilot - and being slightly shorter probably helps with that.  Her physique is not her superpower - though I think Brie Lawson developed some impressive skillz for this movie.

yes exactly. She is just a normal person (who has done some fitness work), which is great. But get a normal person to run around in Lycra with no shoes on and film it from a pretty flat angle, and its not going to look all that impressive. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

yes exactly. She is just a normal person (who has done some fitness work), which is great. But get a normal person to run around in Lycra with no shoes on and film it from a pretty flat angle, and its not going to look all that impressive. 

She looked fine to me!

But I quite like that she looked relatively normal - well, until she started fighting like Black Widow and shooting stuff out of her hands!

I watched it yesterday and had lots of fun. I'm a 90s kid though. 

Not the best MCU movie I have seen but still one of the better ones. 

I had no problems with Fury not moving like a young person. He was in a car crash early in the movie and got slapped around by aliens that is going to cramp a normal humans style. 

I enjoy the funny side of the MCU more than the serious aspects and approved of the cat. :D

13 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I figured the weird running was from having those heavy things on her forearms, throwing her off balance.

But it was a minor nit pick.

I think the action was directed quite poorly, not the best use of camera or stunt work in general, which is why people can start noticing things like how someone is running a lot more easily. 

Her running didn't spoil the movie, and neither did the low quality action as the movie was at its best when it wasn't trying to be a big screen blockbuster.

I realize we're now at the point of the discussion where we start talking about the more trivial minutiae of the film, as all the bigger topics have been covered, but I was hoping we'd be able to avoid the inevitable body talk. I mean, RDJ isn't Hemsworth. Cumberbatch isn't Evans. All are superheroes.

I think Brie looked great in this movie. She looked fit. Seeing her do all of the press for this movie has made her even more attractive to me. She seems like the type of person you want to hang out with on top of being beautiful. Loved seeing her surprise theater-goers by showing up in a Captain Marvel tracksuit.

2 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I realize we're now at the point of the discussion where we start talking about the more trivial minutiae of the film, as all the bigger topics have been covered, but I was hoping we'd be able to avoid the inevitable body talk. I mean, RDJ isn't Hemsworth. Cumberbatch isn't Evans. All are superheroes.

I think Brie looked great in this movie. She looked fit. Seeing her do all of the press for this movie has made her even more attractive to me. She seems like the type of person you want to hang out with on top of being beautiful. Loved seeing her surprise theater-goers by showing up in a Captain Marvel tracksuit.

I’m not complaining that she looked normal.. it’s a big positive actually. But if you watch her running and think it looks odd it’s probably because she looks so damn normal in a world of super heroic looking people.

Archived