Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

11 hours ago, kuenjato said:

eh, she was OK. The big problem was the script and the director / editor's choices in presenting her. Some scenes she comes off as fantastic, particularly some of the emoting scenes and her back and forth with Fury, while other times it was just flat face / dead eyes. 

She also runs really weird -- it threw me out of the movie in the first quarter, when she's required to run a lot. In one of the first scenes she's running like she's knock-kneed (maybe she is?) and it threw me out every time after.

She did run weird. I dont think it's because she's not fit, just because they were filming at weird angle and she had on a restricting costume, movie producers should have noticed it at the time.

But Gal Gadot is an unfair comparison. Not many women on any planet look like her.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

I watched it yesterday and had lots of fun. I'm a 90s kid though. 

Not the best MCU movie I have seen but still one of the better ones. 

I had no problems with Fury not moving like a young person. He was in a car crash early in the movie and got slapped around by aliens that is going to cramp a normal humans style. 

I enjoy the funny side of the MCU more than the serious aspects and approved of the cat. :D

That's a great explanation for Fury moving stiffly. I'm happy eith that.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m not complaining that she looked normal.. it’s a big positive actually. But if you watch her running and think it looks odd it’s probably because she looks so damn normal in a world of super heroic looking people.

I think TV/film is altering your definition of normal. 

@mosimynn good point about supreme intelligence being the kind of antagonist who'd be virtually impossible to defeat. Marvel beat DC to Captain Marvel, maybe they'll beat them to having a version of brainiac on screen.

3 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I realize we're now at the point of the discussion where we start talking about the more trivial minutiae of the film, as all the bigger topics have been covered, but I was hoping we'd be able to avoid the inevitable body talk. I mean, RDJ isn't Hemsworth. Cumberbatch isn't Evans. All are superheroes.

I think Brie looked great in this movie. She looked fit. Seeing her do all of the press for this movie has made her even more attractive to me. She seems like the type of person you want to hang out with on top of being beautiful. Loved seeing her surprise theater-goers by showing up in a Captain Marvel tracksuit.

Oh I was reading up on her last night and found out she is a big Nintendo nerd. I’m in love.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

That's a great explanation for Fury moving stiffly. I'm happy eith that.

I think TV/film is altering your definition of normal. 

@mosimynn good point about supreme intelligence being the kind of antagonist who'd be virtually impossible to defeat. Marvel beat DC to Captain Marvel, maybe they'll beat them to having a version of brainiac on screen.

We're talking movies right? Because that show Krypton already did Brainiac, and he wasn't half bad (though the rest of the show was)

You know Brainiac could have been a good guy if he'd just let time continue flowing for the planets he miniaturized.    You'd never even notice that you were a tiny planet unless you looked into the night sky for ursa major or something, and the risks of asteroid or supernova annihilation are gone once your planet is under brainiac's care because he's like the janitor of his tiny galaxy and wouldn't let that happen.   He could even intervene as 'god' when a planet was getting too nutty for its own good.   More advanced design features could be matrixed into the tiny galaxy for a feeling of real cosmic level order and a purpose to existence.  But then he went and blew it by making it all about himself and not the level of customer service provided.

It's weird the kree can stick with one AI , we've got a new better one coming out each week.   And even if the Supreme was cannibalizing all those AI upgrades to remain #1, it'd still result in big changes to "who" the supreme intelligence was.  The kree would notice shifts in Its actions and demeanor, so even though It was their continuous leader, it'd feel like the Supreme was someone new all the time, and that'd be unsettling

..... which is why the Supreme got so good at manipulating everyone through the mental link into feeling great about her/him/it.   If Carol smashes it, would kree react by lifting their heads and crying, "we're free at last"?    They'd fall apart and call her a space jerk-ette for ruining the thing they had going.  ... "How does this toilet flush?  I don't know!  The AI always did it for us!"

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think the action was directed quite poorly, not the best use of camera or stunt work in general, which is why people can start noticing things like how someone is running a lot more easily. 

Her running didn't spoil the movie, and neither did the low quality action as the movie was at its best when it wasn't trying to be a big screen blockbuster.

Yeah, it's this. I'm not hung up on what her body type is, it was just distracting to see someone run knock-kneed (as it is out of the ordinary and thus noticable), but I put a lot of it to the pretty much objective fact that these directors were not particularly good in framing action. Usually it's body-doubles doing the running/jumping in any case, unless we're talking about Tom Cruise.

I don’t really see the Gadot comparison, they’re very similar physical types.  Gadot is sexier I suppose but that’s nothing to do with camera work.  I didn’t particularly notice anything off about the action scenes either they just weren’t very innovative.  

The Russos do do more interesting stuff, one of my favourite scenes of theirs is in Winter Soldier when Fury is shot and Cap races through the building bouncing off the walls to get to the roof.

Im not sure they managed to capitalise on Larson’s acting chops though.  There was too many aspects of the character to try and present in a short time, it ended up causing slightly jarring tonal shifts.  Even that “Skrulls can’t do that” scene from the trailer was odd, no reason to destroy that poor jukebox.

42 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Yeah, it's this. I'm not hung up on what her body type is, it was just distracting to see someone run knock-kneed (as it is out of the ordinary and thus noticable), but I put a lot of it to the pretty much objective fact that these directors were not particularly good in framing action. Usually it's body-doubles doing the running/jumping in any case, unless we're talking about Tom Cruise.

I believe she did all her own stunts.

On the running thing, which I half-noticed also - the costume isn't exactly athletic gear.

Also, action heroes wearing heels is stupid, and should be up there with "No capes!". But maybe these are just lifts, for camera angle purposes or whatever, which I, in my benevolence, shall allow.

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Red Letter Media do their take on Captain Marvel:

Its adequate but Larson is miscast and her character is all over the place. 

Plus they rail on Larson and obvious virtue signalling.

Is there much about this movie you liked? Seems like you've posted 20 things about how it's bad, she's bad, the script is bad, the action is bad.

Personally I thought she was sexy as hell in this movie so I don't see any of this miscast or body crap at all. She was flirty, smart, confident, sarcastic, strong etc...    To me a superhero doesn't have to be 6' or taller to be imposing. How tall was Bruce Lee, and he was imposing as hell.

She also did almost all of her own stunts. The running in that one scene was funny but hell that's all I have to pick about.

3 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Is there much about this movie you liked? Seems like you've posted 20 things about how it's bad, she's bad, the script is bad, the action is bad.

Personally I thought she was sexy as hell in this movie so I don't see any of this miscast or body crap at all. She was flirty, smart, confident, sarcastic, strong etc...    To me a superhero doesn't have to be 6' or taller to be imposing. How tall was Bruce Lee, and he was imposing as hell.

She also did almost all of her own stunts. The running in that one scene was funny but hell that's all I have to pick about.

I never said the film was bad. I said I liked it. It’s not great though.

I remember when they cast Gal Gadot, and I thought to myself that she was all wrong for the role... then I saw the movie, and i was totally wrong because she was great... so rather than make assumptions with Captain Marvel, I just went to see the movie and I loved it... and I loved Brie Larson in the role...  

I, for one, prefer a good actor in these roles rather than "body-type casting"... would it be nice to have both?... sure... but comic books create unrealistic expectations, and even Chris Hemsworth is undersized to play Thor. 

Less focus on body types, especially unrealistic body types, would be great imo. 

Land can we please not trivialise eating disorders by applying them to someone who is slender? Thanks, they are debilitating mental illnesses with exceptionally high mortality rates so please, you know, dont

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Less focus on body types, especially unrealistic body types, would be great imo. 

Land can we please not trivialise eating disorders by applying them to someone who is slender? Thanks, they are debilitating mental illnesses with exceptionally high mortality rates so please, you know, dont

Yeah having had a friend and family member who's been anorexic I should have known better.

Edit: To clarify a bit I don't actually have nay problem with Gadot or slim people or, you know, not slim people, I just find some of the talk around the web about how Larson is "fat" or not "model shape" to be very offputting, and it's making me more caustic then usual.

Just got back, I agree it's definitely in the top 50 percentile of Marvel movies (at least), they've really got making a fun-as-hell movie down to a science.  Liked how Jackson got to actually show some personality in a Marvel movie, even if it had digitally enhanced.  And Mendelsohn was as great as the reviews advertised in all the mini-roles he got to play within a single movie - that really was his movie. 

Also really liked her pilot best friend and the kid, that was a nice touch.  But when the kid asks it you'd rather sit on the couch and watch Fresh Prince with me - you say yes!  That's not even debatable.  I thought the cat was a little much, but it definitely made the kids happy so whatever.

I did have problems with how the character was approached - and in this way I do see some of the points made in that now apparently infamous Vox article.  It seems they were just focused on making her funny, and I always hate it when it's so apparent you're trying too hard to be funny - it's why Deadpool and Reynolds in general kinda bother me. 

Other than that I just kept on thinking why aren't they letting Larson do more with this moment, because she's certainly capable of doing so much more than what seemed to be directed, which was fairly emotionless.  I know this is recency bias cuz I'm rewatching the show right now, but the way Larson way playing it kept on reminding me of Summer Glau as Cameron in Sarah Connor Chronicles.  Which..shouldn't be the case.  So, that's my only criticism - but I think not getting the character right in their origin movie is a pretty fair and big criticism.  Just, Marvel has made it understandable since every movie has to be, like, at least 40% connective tissue anyway.

Archived