Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I don't think so. Maybe Mar-Vell did in the flashback airplane crash scene. I assumed that was her rank in the USAF.

Comic-book wise I think she was a colonel at the time she got her powers. So captain is a demotion, though Colonel Marvel just doesn't have the same ring.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Oh my gosh now I need this to happen.

On second thought, Theresa May should be Granny Goodness.

The thing about the Carol getting the title of Captain Marvel is that it has no precedent in the MCU. Carol is the last in a line of people to take on that mantle, so it's kind of less of an ego trip in the comics. Either someone has to bestow that title on her (but who would do that? Or when she turns up in end game she introduces herself as Captain Mar Vel taking on Mar Vel's name to honour her work in helping to free the Skrulls from Kree oppression or something. And the rest of the avengers just start calling her Captain Marvel. Perhaps for the time being she also wants to keep her Earth identity confidential until she hooks back up with Fury or Maria / Monica.

Either that or she just leads with Carol Danvers and Captain Marvel is never a title by which she is called within the movies.

34 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Theresa May isn't anywhere near likeable enough to play Granny Goodness...

she'd have trouble delivering her lines

38 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

On second thought, Theresa May should be Granny Goodness.

The thing about the Carol getting the title of Captain Marvel is that it has no precedent in the MCU. Carol is the last in a line of people to take on that mantle, so it's kind of less of an ego trip in the comics. Either someone has to bestow that title on her (but who would do that? Or when she turns up in end game she introduces herself as Captain Mar Vel taking on Mar Vel's name to honour her work in helping to free the Skrulls from Kree oppression or something. And the rest of the avengers just start calling her Captain Marvel. Perhaps for the time being she also wants to keep her Earth identity confidential until she hooks back up with Fury or Maria / Monica.

Either that or she just leads with Carol Danvers and Captain Marvel is never a title by which she is called within the movies.

Captain America dies (but not before spending the whole of Endgame referring to Danvers by her military rank), Spidey accidentally conflates Marvel and Captain together. Captain Marvel is born and Carol takes on the title of captain and becomes the new leader of the avengers?

Or much more lamely her rank amongst the kree was Kah-tain :)

19 minutes ago, red snow said:

she'd have trouble delivering her lines

Captain America dies (but not before spending the whole of Endgame referring to Danvers by her military rank), Spidey accidentally conflates Marvel and Captain together. Captain Marvel is born and Carol takes on the title of captain and becomes the new leader of the avengers?

Or much more lamely her rank amongst the kree was Kah-tain :)

But where does Spidey get Marvel from?

So some of the misogyny rear guard have been saying that the reason Captain Marvel had a huge opening weekend was because everyone who wants to see it went and saw it so it's numbers will drop like a stone. Just looking at the Monday and Tuesday box office it appears the movie is tracking roughly similar to other MCU movies: 60-70% drop Sunday to Monday; 10-30% increase Monday to Tuesday. SO I guess the theatres are still working through the everyone.

Oh and apparently the nail in the coffin for Captain Marvel is that it FAILED to beat Aqua Man's opening weekend...in China...by $6 million. That's it folks Captain Marvel has officially bombed.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I think it being written on her plane in the photo that Fury has at the end (Captain Carol “Avenger” Danvers) was the first reference to her being a Captain. But yea, at the moment, there’s no reason it should be her name. 

On that note, I feel like they were gilding the lily with her being "Avenger", which kind of undermined the title of the Cap 1 movie title. But I'm OK with it.

Also, do people think they might have put the "you need to smile more" scene in the re-shoot process after some reactions to the first trailer came up with that as a criticism? It definitley seemed like it wasn't a coincidence. Though I can also see the writers putting it in there in the original script, because "you need to smile more" is one of those condescensions that has been spoken to women.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

On that note, I feel like they were gilding the lily with her being "Avenger", which kind of undermined the title of the Cap 1 movie title. But I'm OK with it.

Also, do people think they might have put the "you need to smile more" scene in the re-shoot process after some reactions to the first trailer came up with that as a criticism? It definitley seemed like it wasn't a coincidence. Though I can also see the writers putting it in there in the original script, because "you need to smile more" is one of those condescensions that has been spoken to women.

I have an explicit answer to that question in fact! 

There’s an interview with Brie Larson during the Captain Marvel press tour where a male reporter from Yahoo! asks her if the scene where a man tells Carol to smile was added after the first promo photos were released and men on the internet complained that she wasn’t smiling enough. With a clenched jaw, Larson says, “That was already in the movie. We’d already shot that… That’s just a depiction of the female experience.”

From https://www.autostraddle.com/captain-marvel-is-more-kickass-and-queer-than-my-wildest-dreams/ citing https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/27/captain-marvel-brie-larson-smile-smiling-trolls/

DR - not sure why you consider it old when "would it kill her to smile" was one of the legion of complaints about the poster before the movie came out, which I think proved exactly why that sort of thing needs to be shown.

One other thing I don't think I've seen acknowledged in these threads in how the movie managed to not have a single shot of male gaze - I didn't even twig to it until later.

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I meant the "why doesn't girl x smile" is old in general.

Ah right. That makes more sense. These sorts of things persist because they're so old :P 

Old in this case "old" would mean both tired / tiresome and also a long history of use. And not old as in having long fallen out of use.

13 minutes ago, karaddin said:

From https://www.autostraddle.com/captain-marvel-is-more-kickass-and-queer-than-my-wildest-dreams/ citing https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/27/captain-marvel-brie-larson-smile-smiling-trolls/

DR - not sure why you consider it old when "would it kill her to smile" was one of the legion of complaints about the poster before the movie came out, which I think proved exactly why that sort of thing needs to be shown.

One other thing I don't think I've seen acknowledged in these threads in how the movie managed to not have a single shot of male gaze - I didn't even twig to it until later.

Aside from the blindingly obvious there would be a lot of male gaze shots that I would not recognise as such. OTOH, any scene with an attractive woman in it can be sexualised in the male mind without much effort. 

Yeah its not if the audience can do it, its whether the camera shots are and they were not. A good comparison is to use an example of what would normally be male gaze applied to a shot of a man and the 30 seconds of Hemsworth shirtless with a wet chest gazing into the middle distance in Thor2 would certainly qualify. Another movie from the last few years that featured a number of beautiful women often scantily clad that didn't really do male gaze is Fury Road

Yeah, I rewatched Fury Road yesterday and I noticed that the only shot of the women that lingers in any way on their bodies is one which highlights that Angharad is pregnant.

I thought Aquaman did pretty well in that respect too - Meera's outfit is obviously sexualised but the film doesn't spend time ogling (also that film is nothing if not egalitaran in whose body it chooses to show off).

I haven't seen Aquaman so not bringing that up wasn't in any way intended as saying it wasn't do this as well. If it was then fantastic because yeah...that film was selling a lot based on Momoa's body lol.

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

Odd, I dont remember anyone complaining that Robert Downey Jr or Chaddwick Boseman need to smile more....... guess it's just a coincidence.

Archived