Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

I liked it. Contrary to what the trolls might have said I saw no social justice messaging in the movie beyond having a female as main character (and quite a few as strong supporting characters). It was a pretty standard Marvel movie with nice visuals, a good dose of humor, decent acting, a bit of 90s nostalgia, and a minor plot twist.

I think its pretty amazing what a machine Disney has made with the MCU though.  We all pretty universally ranked Winter Soldier at or very near the top of the entire MCU series.  Captain Marvel was more varied in its ranking, but the consensus seems to put it solidly in the middle around the "good formulaic entry" level.  Yet it still can rake in cash by the truck load at this point.  Pretty impressive.

I mean realistically part of its take is that a lot of people want to get some idea of what is going to happen for Endgame, so it has some of Avenger's pot built in.

But it's also just a fun, cool, new Marvel movie with a new character, a new vibe, and 90s nostalgia. It's one of the best launch movies for a new character that they've done; Black Panther was better (though not his first appearance), but most everything else wasn't - even the more recent ones like Ant-Man or Dr. Strange. 

Hmm. Really, as far as origin rankings, how does it go?

• Black Panther
  • GotG
  • Spider Man Homecoming (if that counts)
  • Cap Marvel
  • Dr. Strange
  • Iron Man
  • Cap America
  • Thor
  • Hulk?
  • Ant Man

The first movies for a lot of the P1 heroes really aren't very good.

Black Panther

Iron Man

Thor

GotG

Spider Man Homecoming

Cap Marvel

Dr. Strange

Hulk

Ant Man

Cap America

For me. Captain Marvel may rise on a rewatch, but not more than a couple of spots I'd imagine. I don't think it breaks much from the Phase 1 origins.

I thought Thor was fairly boring. Really the whole thing was, until Ragnarok. 

And Iron Man is really, wildly inconsistent. Even taking away the special effects thing, the actual villain and plot are unremarkable, though the intro makes him great. I think Dr. Strange is both more amusing and better at setting his world up with a fairly big lift, something that Iron Man didn't really need given that it basically was just 'extra sciency'. 

Marvel have definitely tried to do origin stories a little more differently as they have gone on, Black Panther jumps many of those hurdles because his character had already been established in Civil War (and done better IMO..) 

The weakest MCU movies are the ones that tend to stick to pretty standard origin story structure: Introduce main character, they discover powers, use powers to defeat baddie.. the end. Dr Strange and Ant Man are examples where this feels the most formulaic and uninteresting (although Ant Man uses humour to stand out a bit more) 

Captain Marvel manages to dodge this bullet a bit by mixing up where the origin story sits and its importance, probably a good call and it kept me more interested. 

But then at the end of the day all these first movies have the same issue in that their main purpose is to introduce a character, and then have time left over to do anything interesting with them at all. Which means the final third of all these movies feels inconsequential. 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, I didn't know people hated the first Captain America that much. I'd probably rank it near the top. :(

Yeah...I really like the first Captain America movie.  Although as someone else pointed out, how can he be "The First Avenger", since now the Avengers were named after Carol's callsign?

5 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Contrary to what the trolls might have said I saw no social justice messaging in the movie beyond having a female as main character (and quite a few as strong supporting characters).

Eh...there was a few explicit things like "You know why they call it a cockpit, right?"  and the "Hey why don't you smile" guy.  And playing "Just a Girl" during her fight scene.  But...it was about what I expected...nothing over the top.  Although I did roll my eyes when I heard the first few notes of "Just a Girl" - almost too expected....

1 minute ago, HokieStone said:

Yeah...I really like the first Captain America movie.  Although as someone else pointed out, how can he be "The First Avenger", since now the Avengers were named after Carol's callsign?

She wasn't one though. It's named after her, but she'd left by the time Fury was even proposing the initiative and it had been rejected by the executive until the NY invasion forced them into accepting Furys team. Cap is the first one willing to sign up, he's also the oldest human in it for now.

6 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

It's on track to get over 1 Billion. Happy days.

I'm not quite as confident on that, but certainly hopeful.

With only 2 weekends of numbers in (so not a large number of data points) it's US tracking is somewhere in between Spider Man Homecoming ($880 million world wide) and Civil War ($1.15Bn world wide). And like most MCU movies that aren't Black Panther the US/overseas box office is in the 33-35% / 67-65% split. If it gets over $350M in the USA then $1Bn is almost certain. If it gets over $400M in the USA then $1Bn is guaranteed.

Interestingly it's already beaten Spider Man HC and IM3 in China, so I think it's already the 4th highest grossing MCU movie in China, only behind Civil War, AoU and IW, and there is a bit of a chance it could catch Civil War's $180M.

One thing is already guaranteed: Captain Marvel will be the highest grossing solo introductory movie (i.e. character has not appeared in any MCU movie prior to their first solo movie) for a character in the MCU. And it will almost certainly be the 2nd highest grossing first solo movie (only Spider man stands in the way of the silver medal position), and I think Black Panther has the gold medal on that for all time. Interesting question though, what character could beat Black Panther for their first solo movie if they get a boost from first appearing in an Avengers (or avengers-lite, a la Civil War) movie? I can only think of a group of characters who might do it, and that's the X-men. But I don't think any solo character could. If they get the casting right, and especially if they get someone for Wolverine the fans immediately warm to, the first X-men movie could be massive.

10 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Well, it's the name of the film, I don't think they actually call him that.

5 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I liked it. Contrary to what the trolls might have said I saw no social justice messaging in the movie beyond having a female as main character

Right.   It showed some sexism, but only as part of an accurate portrayal, not using it as a political grinding stone.  The movie was gloriously above the fray and only showed a good example of the strength to overcome.   All the toxic social justice stuff and virtue signaling isn't in the movie- - - it's on here, in the chatter surrounding a movie that wasn't tarnished by it.   

If what these trolls say is such nonsense why are y'all making yourselves into the trolls' interns by repeating it all and spreading their message and soaking in it, leading to this bad mood bile fulltime like it's an occupation.  That's no way to live, son.  I don't care what they're saying, for real.  Don't need to hear it.  If you don't either, feel free to stop living in their mindspace anytime.   

Archived