Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

14 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You forgot REY IS SUCH A MARY SUE HERE ARE 666 REASONS WHY

Thumbnails of Rey, Finn, JJ and Rian Johnson (despite not being involve) with glowing red eyes. The way they use glowing red eyes to signify both evil in people they hate and "badassery" in people they decided to love like Brett Kavanagh is really confusing. Its the exact same signifying in both cases.

28 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I can't wait for my youtube recommendations to be flooded with "why ep9 is the worst movie ever made and here are 10 trillion reasons girls suck and kennedy is going to be fired" videos

><

Yes! The worst part about YouTube is the bullshit recommendations I get featuring basement dwellers. I feel like there should be a filter.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pfft, wait til the Star Wars trailer drops.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I can't wait for my youtube recommendations to be flooded with "why ep9 is the worst movie ever made and here are 10 trillion reasons girls suck and kennedy is going to be fired" videos

The silver lining there, though, is the MRAs will start saying Captain Marvel is an example of female heroes done right and Star Wars is everything that's wrong with toxic femininity

I mean, there's always some legitimate criticism to be had with any superhero movie.  So the "MRAs" will always have some type of legit justification.  I think the key thing to do is to just ignore them, rather than worry about their entirely predictable response.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, there's always some legitimate criticism to be had with any superhero movie.  So the "MRAs" will always have some type of legit justification.  I think the key thing to do is to just ignore them, rather than worry about their entirely predictable response.

I think now that Captain Marvel's box office performance has proven again that their ability to harm good movies is pretty limited, the MRA reactions are more for entertainment value.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's always been for entertainment value.  Men that hate women are not an important demographic.  In any way.  It's just a sad demographic.

I was a bit worried. Partly because this sort of thing has never happened to a movie I was looking forward to seeing. So in past instances my awareness of the trolling was more peripheral. This time because my Youtube AI bot knows I like Captain Marvel it fed me all those pre-release hate videos as recommendations.

And somewhat more disappointingly, even CBG19 made a video that made her a bit of a useful idiot for the MRAs.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

This time because my Youtube AI bot knows I like Captain Marvel it fed me all those pre-release hate videos as recommendations.

Well that just seems to be the modern version of self-flagellation.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

even CBG19 made a video that made her a bit of a useful idiot for the MRAs.

I don't know what this means.

Is Goose supposed to be named after the character from Top Gun?

Cause this movie is set in 1995, and Top Gun came out in 1986. 

And even though they're not Navy, they did fly planes. Mar-Vell might not have known the difference when she named the cat.

Edit: You know what? I am choosing to believe this is why Mar-Vell named her cat Goose.

21 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Is Goose supposed to be named after the character from Top Gun?

And even though they're not Navy, they did fly planes. Mar-Vell might not have known the difference when she named the cat.

Edit: You know what? I am choosing to believe this is why Mar-Vell named her cat Goose.

It is. Pretty sure that was confirmed a while ago, and also: duh. cmon.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

It is. Pretty sure that was confirmed a while ago, and also: duh. cmon.

I didn't hear about it. And until I actually interact with something, it never happened.

I mean, c'mon, don't you know how the universe works?

38 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

s Goose supposed to be named after the character from Top Gun?

Well, yes, and isn't this proof for why it makes total sense that the cat is called Goose?  Not a big fan of the cat's inclusion at all - other than when Danvers or Fury hold it up like a weapon, which is always funny - but it totally makes sense they named the cat after an important Top Gun character.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, yes, and isn't this proof for why it makes total sense that the cat is called Goose?  Not a big fan of the cat's inclusion at all - other than when Danvers or Fury hold it up like a weapon, which is always funny - but it totally makes sense they named the cat after an important Top Gun character.

I'm not too bothered by this. I hadn't heard of them before this movie, but google told me Flerkens were first introduced in 2006. 

What is weird is apparently the comic Flerkens have, at a minimum, human intelligence (they can understand speech).

I need to re-watch the movie to see if Goose acts like it knows what people are saying to it.

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

I'm not to bother by this. I hadn't heard of them before this movie, but google told me Flerkens were first introduced in 2006. 

I've seen a lot of people use this as justification.  And yeah, it's a natural defense - it's in the comics!  I don't care if it's in the comics, that's not how you should judge anything by.  Because comics tend to get really ridiculous.  And with the cat/"Flerken," it did.  My brother sarcastically commented it reminded him of a bad Men In Black movie.  That's hard to argue with.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I've seen a lot of people use this as justification.  And yeah, it's a natural defense - it's in the comics!  I don't care if it's in the comics, that's not how you should judge anything by.  Because comics tend to get really ridiculous.  And with the cat/"Flerken," it did.  My brother sarcastically commented it reminded him of a bad Men In Black movie.  That's hard to argue with.

It's a comic book movie. I think "It's in the comics" is a damn good excuse.

:dunno:

I mean, what do you think this stuff is based off of?

13 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I need to re-watch the movie to see if Goose acts like it knows what people are saying to it.

It was certainly my impression that Goose was understanding even before the Flerkin reveal. And also that he was named after Top Gun too.

10 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

It's a comic book movie. I think "It's in the comics" is a damn good excuse.

:dunno:

I mean, what do you think this stuff is based off of?

Well, I disagree with the argument that "it's in the comics" automatically means it's legitimate.  Because there's a lot of things, and a lot of stupid things, in all comics from my limited understanding.  There's a distinction between Thanos had this really cool arc we should try to recreate (and totally axe his weird boner for a physical Death character) and a damn cat being some weird-ass lethal alien specie.

Archived