Jeopardy! A salute to Alex Trebek

Rhom

So I don't usually mention this, as it's kind of embarrassing, but when I in college I got to be on the College Jeopardy tournament (no, I'm not telling what year, or my name, because you can still find my picture online) and Alex Trebek is just as nice and personable in person as he is on TV. He took time to meet all the contestants and was just great. 

Fuck cancer. My dad, grandpa and uncle all died from cancer.

35 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

So I don't usually mention this, as it's kind of embarrassing, but when I in college I got to be on the College Jeopardy tournament (no, I'm not telling what year, or my name, because you can still find my picture online) and Alex Trebek is just as nice and personable in person as he is on TV. He took time to meet all the contestants and was just great. 

I was one of the nerds in high school. One of the somewhat socially awkward guys in our clique was often teased for his prowess in random trivia. Well, fast forward to him with his shiny doctorate at a superb school, he gets on Jeopardy and wins six figures up through the tournament of champions. He also spoke the world of Trebek, for what it's worth.

I'm with you on the losing of family to cancer front. Fuck cancer.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

How’d you do?

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

How’d you do?

I made it to the semis (which isn't that much of a feat in College Jeopardy...I just won my first match).

47 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I was one of the nerds in high school. One of the somewhat socially awkward guys in our clique was often teased for his prowess in random trivia. Well, fast forward to him with his shiny doctorate at a superb school, he gets on Jeopardy and wins six figures up through the tournament of champions. He also spoke the world of Trebek, for what it's worth.

I'm with you on the losing of family to cancer front. Fuck cancer.

He really is just the nicest guy. I kind of expected him to be aloof and not actually interact with us much, but he really asked you questions about yourself and was just so personable and seemed genuinely interested in you.

Has anyone heard what kind of pancreatic cancer it is? My dad died from cancer of the sinus cavities that moved into his skull and eventually his brain, but while he was fighting that they discovered he had pancreatic cancer also, but it was a less aggressive kind that they were able to remove and he lived for several years after.

• 1 month later...

Current champ James Holzhauer...holy shit!

Been champ for 14 days now and has over $1 million!

He's also a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas and he plays like a gambler but he also knows it all

For comparison, Ken Jennings winning average was around $30,000 per episode.

James' average: ~$75,000

Of course Ken's winning streak was 74 days and James has only been on 14 at this point, but he's all ready amassed ~40% of Ken's total winnings.

This guy...:bowdown:

His run coincides with a new TV ad featuring a know-it-all gameshow contestant, and it played during the show yesterday.

What's weird about this guy is he's not even hated by the viewer.   

One hopes it's not a case of buzzer tampering, because whenever I tune in he's already up by $10,000 like they're just spotting him huge leads, like he's got the fastest buzzerfinger in the West or something.

He has learned to just double it every time it comes up and he always starts from the bottom of the board and works up.

I love that he also hasn’t won as much as he could either. He makes his final Jeopardy wager to result in winnings that are numbers like his daughter’s birthday.  Just absolutely crazy.

I saw an interview with him where he is worried that his notoriety may hurt his ability to continue gambling as a career.  He speculates that sports books won’t take his action now that they know him.  Probably a valid point.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

I jumped on board after hearing about it like so many others and started DVR'ing it every night and have seen the last few.  It's mind-blowing, and it's hard to even envision how he could lose a contest.  What's to stop him from winning $5 million?  Surely not the normal rules of Jeopardy.  

If he keeps winning ridiculous amounts, Sony could ask him to step down at some point. . They could offer him his own game show, like a new version of "The Chase" to entice him.  A show he's actually been on as well.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

He has learned to just double it every time it comes up and he always starts from the bottom of the board and works up.

I love that he also hasn’t won as much as he could either. He makes his final Jeopardy wager to result in winnings that are numbers like his daughter’s birthday.  Just absolutely crazy.

I saw an interview with him where he is worried that his notoriety may hurt his ability to continue gambling as a career.  He speculates that sports books won’t take his action now that they know him.  Probably a valid point.

Maybe he'll put away enough to keep a nice cushion and with the rest start speculating on the stock market.

He has had an absolutely tremendous run. I think it's a bit of a disservice to him that people refer to his 'strategy' of betting big when he gets a Double Jeopardy, and again on the final. He can do that because he's like Ken Jennings - he is fucking brilliant and extremely rapidly recalls knowledge on every category. I don't think it's such a big deal that he's betting big, or playing from the bottom-to-top unlike traditional players. He's just really, really good at trivia, and deserves every dollar he gets. It makes absolute sense for someone who hits 40-for-40 during his 132 grand game to bet extremely highly on questions he can name his own price. 

The dude simply knows a whole ton of trivia. The game show wasn't built for players like Jennings and Holzhauer - they are playing against other really, really smart people who know a ton of stuff about everything, who simply aren't on the absurd level these guys are. I love that he's broken the game, and I bet (rimshot) that he finds new ways to succeed after his sports betting and Jeopardy! careers.

I wouldn't be surprised if, after his run is done, the show's producers make some rules changes to prevent this from happening again. He's got to be wrecking havoc with their prize budget right now, and maybe higher ratings from the novelty of it are evening things out for now. But if there start being future contestants who become inspired by him, and have the talent to pull it off, I don't know if the show could afford that.

37 minutes ago, Fez said:

I wouldn't be surprised if, after his run is done, the show's producers make some rules changes to prevent this from happening again. He's got to be wrecking havoc with their prize budget right now, and maybe higher ratings from the novelty of it are evening things out for now. But if there start being future contestants who become inspired by him, and have the talent to pull it off, I don't know if the show could afford that.

I would think the prize money is covered by insurance.

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I would think the prize money is covered by insurance.

I dunno... is that really insurable?  Generally insurance is there to cover something that might happen.  There is a guaranteed payout every day for winnings.

I just assumed that’s what the sponsorships are for.

It's almost certainly not insured. The show has a P&L just like any other enterprise. Sponsors and syndication contracts pay the bills, with contestant payouts the big deduction. Of course, a huge winner means many more people tuning in, which is good leverage to charge more for sponsorship. But as Fez pointed out even that has its limits. 

I want to see this dude go up against Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter. Ultimate Jeopardy smackdown!

I was talking with my dad at lunch about the winnings.  For most of the show's run, champs were capped at 5 wins.  I wonder how many multi-week winners could have been out there for all those years?

19 hours ago, Rhom said:

He's going to have to hire a beard to place the bets for him.

Archived