Jeopardy! A salute to Alex Trebek

Rhom

I suspect he'll be fine. There's plenty of famous (within Vegas) gamblers that get as much action as they want, folks like Haralabos Voulgaris. And he specifically made his fortune betting on NBA games, which more directly affects sports books than Jeopardy!.

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

I dunno... is that really insurable?  Generally insurance is there to cover something that might happen.  There is a guaranteed payout every day for winnings.

Here's an article on it:

Oftentimes, shows take out insurance policies. Usually that's reserved for shows with rare but high earnings, such as "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" Boden said he doesn't think "Jeopardy" has the same policy, as it usually awards more modest winnings.

But even with a successful contestant, game shows' budgets usually allocate more to on-air talent and production crews, said Boden. The Atlantic reported longtime host Alex Trebek's yearly pay is $10 million. Holzhauer's performance is also drawing in more viewers, which leads to more advertisement sales and renews alternative revenue streams.

Last time I checked, Jeopardy! has yet to comment on their specific policy, but they presumably have something.  I always wonder who insures these ridiculously lucrative type of things - e.g. who's actually been paying Jacoby Ellsbury for the past four years?

On 4/23/2019 at 9:12 PM, DMC said:

Yeah.  Dude fucking solved Jeopardy.  It's craziness, meant to mention it myself.

So some dude stole my line when writing this article, which otherwise is a pretty good read.  Litigation pending.

I'd absolutely love if Jeopardy! figured out a way to properly monetize a massive duel between Holzhauer and Jennings - throw in Rutter as well, who was tremendous without as much fanfare. Have it at MSG. Hell have Will Farrell and co. put up a skit between rounds. Go for the gusto while your show is getting headlines!

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'd absolutely love if Jeopardy! figured out a way to properly monetize a massive duel between Holzhauer and Jennings - throw in Rutter as well, who was tremendous without as much fanfare. Have it at MSG. Hell have Will Farrell and co. put up a skit between rounds. Go for the gusto while your show is getting headlines!

Do a battle royal after this guy loses. Him, Jennings and whoever is third best. Let them play for a week straight, winner take all. Money rolls over from one show to the next so there is no "final jeopardy" until the last show.

• 1 month later...

Kong is dead!

Goliath has fallen!

Everest has been climbed!

James has lost!!!

What a game! Emma beat him playing his own game, and it was the only way, something it took until the last couple weeks for his challengers to really figure out. It will be interesting to see how Emma defends her championship now she's not up against James and how other contestants will play going forward.

While he was still like 40 episodes away from catching up to Ken Jennings time as champ, he is only ~$60,000 shy of beating the total amount of money Ken won. It really looked like Ken was going to lose one of his titles but he keeps both!

48 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

While he was still like 40 episodes away from catching up to Ken Jennings time as champ, he is only ~$60,000 shy of beating the total amount of money Ken won.

Yeah that's gotta suck for James, so close to the record.  Watched the episode this evening since it was spoiled online beforehand.  Gotta say, maybe it's just because I happened to know the topics well, but I thought the clues were significantly easier than usual.  I think he just ran into two people that were just as quick as him on the buzzer - even the dude who came in third definitely snaked some easy answers.  And Emma hit on both the daily doubles in the second round, that's why she won.  James was really gracious in defeat, seems like a pretty cool guy.  Certainly more likable than Jennings.

Thought it was weird how conservative James bid in the final round.  It didn't matter, and assume he had some logic to it that I just can't figure out cuz I'm high, but that was very different than his usual MO.

I was bummed he lost, I liked him. Great run though.

I was really pissed to get a news alert this morning saying he lost before the episode aired, though! That was some bullshit. The show producers can't be happy either.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah that's gotta suck for James, so close to the record.  Watched the episode this evening since it was spoiled online beforehand.  Gotta say, maybe it's just because I happened to know the topics well, but I thought the clues were significantly easier than usual.  I think he just ran into two people that were just as quick as him on the buzzer - even the dude who came in third definitely snaked some easy answers.  And Emma hit on both the daily doubles in the second round, that's why she won.  James was really gracious in defeat, seems like a pretty cool guy.  Certainly more likable than Jennings.

Thought it was weird how conservative James bid in the final round.  It didn't matter, and assume he had some logic to it that I just can't figure out cuz I'm high, but that was very different than his usual MO.

He bid exactly the right amount to win if they both got the final wrong. Since he was behind it was his best bet.

21 minutes ago, Inigima said:

He bid exactly the right amount to win if they both got the final wrong. Since he was behind it was his best bet.

Gotcha, figured it was something like that, just been a long day and tired/high.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, Inigima said:

*Conspiracy Alert*

Alternatively, he was tanking himself to lose on purpose so that he wouldn't break Jennings record. He'd already made a huge amount of money, was maybe getting tired of playing, and (though this could definitely be a Twitter joke of his) his daughter wanted him to finish up. So he decided to let stand the record of the guy who was truly passionate about the game.

*End Conspiracy Alert*

Either way though, that final bet was not in character for him. Assuming they'd both get the answer wrong is the conservative approach and he's always been bold in his bets, he should've gone all-in and trusted that he'd get the answer right.

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Either way though, that final bet was not in character for him. Assuming they'd both get the answer wrong is the conservative approach and he's always been bold in his bets, he should've gone all-in and trusted that he'd get the answer right.

Had he been behind entering final jeopardy before?  Because the strategy when you're ahead vs in second is totally different.  Betting it all wouldn't have helped him in this case.  If you're in the second spot, you need to make a bet that guarantees that if you get it right and the leader gets it wrong that you win (this bet does that).  You also want to make a bet that is low enough that if you both get it wrong you have the best chance of winning (this bet also does that).  But don't take my word for it, here's someone who knows a thing or two about betting - James Holzhauer.

“I knew I could only win if Emma missed Final Jeopardy, as there was no way she wouldn’t bet to cover my all-in bet,” Holzhauer explained to The Action Network, a media company that provides sports analysis. “So my only concern was getting overtaken by third place, and I bet just enough to make sure of locking him out.

"Betting big would have looked good for the cameras, but now I turn my straight bet (Boettcher misses) into a parlay (Boettcher misses and I get it right),” he added. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Had he been behind entering final jeopardy before?  Because the strategy when you're ahead vs in second is totally different.  Betting it all wouldn't have helped him in this case.  If you're in the second spot, you need to make a bet that guarantees that if you get it right and the leader gets it wrong that you win (this bet does that).  You also want to make a bet that is low enough that if you both get it wrong you have the best chance of winning (this bet also does that).  But don't take my word for it, here's someone who knows a thing or two about betting - James Holzhauer.

I think there was game early on, in the first week or two, between all the $100k wins that made everyone pay attention, where he was behind. But I may be misremembering and it was just really close at FJ and he was still ahead. Either way though, he bet something like 50% of his total and ended up winning by a large margin since he was the only one to get the question right.

Emma seems to have broken the champion dethroner curse. The lady that beat Ken Jennings lost the very next episode, there was a huge (for the time) winner and long lasting champion on Tic-Tac-Dough and the woman who beat him lost the very next episode too. 

Emma stayed with the Holzhauer strategy, even though she didn't find either Daily Doubles in Double Jeopardy, the same challenger found both of them but missed one. If he had gotten both right it's very likely he would have won, he was the only one who got Final Jeopardy correct.

One of the stupidest wagers in Final Jeopardy I saw was not too long ago. The champ had EXACTLY double the amount of her closest challenger going in. All she had to do was bet $0 and it guaranteed her sticking around another episode, at best the challenger could double her cash and they would be co-champions both coming back next episode. Instead she bets $1, she gets final jeopardy wrong, challenger got it right and bet everything and became solo champ. :bang:

15 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

One of the stupidest wagers in Final Jeopardy I saw was not too long ago. The champ had EXACTLY double the amount of her closest challenger going in. All she had to do was bet $0 and it guaranteed her sticking around another episode, at best the challenger could double her cash and they would be co-champions both coming back next episode. Instead she bets $1, she gets final jeopardy wrong, challenger got it right and bet everything and became solo champ. :bang:

Maybe she just felt very strongly that ties are lame.

Archived