Athletic Debate: Who Is The Greatest Of All Time?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I agree. I'm not calming down for nobody. I'm hungover and my baby was sick on me twice during the night. I'm taking it out on somebody. 

Well you just ruined my fun.  Can't possibly not feel bad about that - godspeed.  In all seriousness man I was just fucking around.  One of my best friends - really one of my only friends left that's still in my grad program - is a Mancunian.  Whenever we get together he gives me shit about stupid Americans and I give him shit about being British and English and Yorktown or whatever.

Sprinters- FloJo and Bolt

Swimming- Phelps

Distance racer - Secretariat

Mountaineering- The superhuman Sherpas

Martial Arts- Bruce Lee

Skiing- Lindsey Vonn and the Norwegians

Tennis- Serena

Baseball- its Jackie Fucking Robinson by a mile

Basketball-Greek Freak, College -Magic gets the shoutout here for showing the world a 6'9" kid could transform playmaking and championship PG play.

Football- College Barry Sanders, Pro JJ Watt

Soccer, Rugby, Cricket- I dont have a clue but I loved that "Bend it Like Beckham" movie.

Skating- Michelle Kwan

Hockey- Its gotta be Gretzky

Freak Strength- The Mountain

Boxing- Joe Louis, Ali and Hitman Hearns

Wrestling- Tonya Harding shes so nasty

Golf- Tiger

So whose the Goat of all Goat's?  Ty Cobb of course! And fuck all your arguments its my list and I love it.

Just for BFC - I love you mentioning Marit Bjørgen, and sure, she was as dominant as they come, but cross country skiing really is a niche sport, mainly for Norwegians. 

After all, we did pick up - what? - 10 of 12 gold medals in the recent World Championship?

5 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Sprinters- FloJo and Bolt

Swimming- Phelps

Distance racer - Secretariat

Mountaineering- The superhuman Sherpas

Martial Arts- Bruce Lee

Skiing- Lindsey Vonn and the Norwegians

Tennis- Serena

Baseball- its Jackie Fucking Robinson by a mile

Basketball-Greek Freak, College -Magic gets the shoutout here for showing the world a 6'9" kid could transform playmaking and championship PG play.

Football- College Barry Sanders, Pro JJ Watt

Soccer, Rugby, Cricket- I dont have a clue but I loved that "Bend it Like Beckham" movie.

Skating- Michelle Kwan

Hockey- Its gotta be Gretzky

Freak Strength- The Mountain

Boxing- Joe Louis, Ali and Hitman Hearns

Wrestling- Tonya Harding shes so nasty

Golf- Tiger

So whose the Goat of all Goat's?  Ty Cobb of course! And fuck all your arguments its my list and I love it.

LOL, the inclusion of a horse made my day.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Vonn?

I'd say Ester Ledecka. Winning Gold in the olympics in both Skiing and Snowboard makes her a pretty good candidate.

Vonn has by far the most world cup wins, until Shiffrin overtakes her. Ledeka had a couple of amazing days, but to adapt like that shows a great deal of athleticism. And although they are very similar Shaun White being world class at snowboarding and skateboarding is impressive. 

41 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Vonn has by far the most world cup wins, until Shiffrin overtakes her. Ledeka had a couple of amazing days, but to adapt like that shows a great deal of athleticism. And although they are very similar Shaun White being world class at snowboarding and skateboarding is impressive. 

Maybe my perception of Vonn is a bit skewed because of her mostly forgettable Olympics (yes, I know she won one gold medal in Vancouver) and not so impressive resumee at the World Championships.

Anyway, let's move on to a pretty non-controversial one.

Biathlon: Ole Einar Bjorndalen.

44 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Maybe my perception of Vonn is a bit skewed because of her mostly forgettable Olympics (yes, I know she won one gold medal in Vancouver) and not so impressive resumee at the World Championships.

Anyway, let's move on to a pretty non-controversial one.

Biathlon: Ole Einar Bjorndalen.

Vonn defo loses points for her lack of olympic success.

I thought Fourcade would overtake him. But now JTB is a fucking beast I'm not so sure. I wouldn't like to bet which of them finishes with the most victories. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

No way, either of them will top Bjorndalen's overall career achievements. His olympic medal collection alone is insane, and he kept competing well into his 40s.

They are both well ahead of him at the same age. However who has that absurd drive to carry on into their 40's? 

A time for a female GOAT. Clara Hughes. The only person to win multiple medals at both Summer and Winter Olympics. 

Strongest man that ever lived is none other than Louis Cyr. 

On 3/8/2019 at 6:39 AM, maarsen said:

Gordie Howe. NHL. When Lebron can play in the NBA in his fifties he can be the greatest in his sport.

Well if Hartford gets an NBA expansion team around 2040 he probably will.

Was pretty great when Gordie Mark and Marty were all skating for the Whalers though.

7 year old Lebron James once beat Angel Cordero Jr in a maiden race at the Northampton Fair but NYRA wouldnt let him ride at Saratoga.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:21 PM, The Marquis de Leech said:

I am a New Zealander, and I will cheerfully admit that Rugby Union (Rugby League even more so) is a niche sport at the international level.

But cricket? The test-playing nations are England, Australia, South Africa, the West Indies, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, and Ireland. That's a spread from Europe, to the Western Hemisphere, to Africa, to South Asia, to Australasia. Sure, it's not on a level with association football - nothing is - but it ain't tiny, and it ain't niche.

That isn’t that many countries though. It just so happens that three account for a quarter of the world’s population. It’s actually kind of weird how global popularity is calculated. For example, I have no idea how field hockey is considered to be the world’s third most popular sport. I mean, it’s field hockey…….

Archived