Poll. Is Bran ever leaving the cave?

Impbread

I'm undecided.

All of the main characters are on increasingly dark paths by the end of ADWD and I think they'll all come to a crossroads where they have a pivotal decision to make.

I'd like to think that Bran will make it out of the cave, but I'm expecting at least one of them to choose the darker route . . . I just don't know who it will be. And of course, there's always the possibility that Bran staying in the cave is the right choice to make for the greater good while leaving would be the self-serving option.

I used to have a crazy theory that Bran would use Hodor as an avatar to communicate with the outside world while staying in the cave.  Unfortunately the show's depiction of Hodor's fate has caused me to rethink that idea.  Now I would guess that he does make it back down south in the next book.

Since GRRM said the kernel of the whole story occurred to him with the events of the first chapter already laid out (really bad paraphrasing I know, sorry, but you know what I mean) and since that first chapter is a Bran POV, I tend to think there will be more to come from Bran than turning into a tree. However, he could still stay there and warg everything in sight, talk to people through trees and ravens and maybe even send green dreams. If he stays at the tree, some major characters will visit him there.

The Starks talk up honor but they haven't done their duty when it is in conflict with what they wanted to do.  Bran should stay in that cave but he will shirk his duties if it is conflicting with what he wants to do.  Lyanna did that when she didn't want to marry Robert.  Robb shirked his duty to Walder Frey and did what he wanted instead.  Jon put his duties to the NW aside to help Arya.  Bran might fall into that same pattern.  

3 hours ago, Impbread said:

I think so too. They mention a backdoor at the cave for a reason i think. It will be used at some point.

I guess it is equally plausible that he could do/achieve everything that he has been set up to do from the cave, but I would just prefer to see him back at Winterfell. I feel like the crypts have been hyped up so much/referenced in the text that they will have some massive role that Bran will be a part of.

I don't think so. Not as long as winter is on. Bran is currently very far away from settlements, even the free folk is mostly travelling south. He's got a fading company with him and Bloodraven has not given any strong clue about returning. I think Bran will entangle himself with the Blooravenpedia and stay there until the end.

3 hours ago, Belgarad said:

I used to have a crazy theory that Bran would use Hodor as an avatar to communicate with the outside world while staying in the cave. 

He will do that, but he’ll use Theon. 

Unfortunately the show's depiction of Hodor's fate has caused me to rethink that idea. 

As far as I’m concerned, nothing the abomination does is confirmation of anything. 

Now I would guess that he does make it back down south in the next book.

I think he will leave the cave.

Bran is the Prince of Winterfell, and Wintefell will be absolutely crucial in the near-ish future. 

31 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

He will do that, but he’ll use Theon. 

The reason I thought it would be Hodor is because, for the characters who knew him at Winterfell, they would know he cant say anything more than Hodor on his own.  So if he is suddenly capable of speech it would immediately get their attention.  People may just think Theon is lying, but they would have to beleive Hodor.

5 minutes ago, Belgarad said:

The reason I thought it would be Hodor is because, for the characters who knew him at Winterfell, they would know he cant say anything more than Hodor on his own.  So if he is suddenly capable of speech it would immediately get their attention.  People may just think Theon is lying, but they would have to beleive Hodor.

Well, there are other ways for Bran to establish it’s him speaking through someone else. And Theon is w/ Stannis, who is about to engage the Boltons and their allies (and pseudo-allies!), and will need an insider’s knowledge (on Winterfell itself), so to speak. And that insider is Bran. Also, there’s a silly amount of foreshadowing for it in Theon’s ADwD chapters. ;)

Archived