Poll. Is Bran ever leaving the cave?

Impbread

No. He barely made it _into_ the cave and things are much harder and much more dangerous now. Everything that he needs to do, he can do from the cave - him moving around would be just a pointless distraction and lots of additional textual bloat. Not to mention that since GRRM failed to age Bran and give him time to learn his powers, it would be incredibly contrived if a 10-year-old kid somehow managed to become the most powerful greenseer and hidden manipulator ever without Bloodraven's help and whilst constantly on the run.

The back door is there for Meera and Jojen, who were gearing to leave in Bran's last chapter in ADwD..

been taking a break from this forum for a few months. always love talking about Bran. amazing arc, especially his 3 chapters in ADWD. I got this kinda out there theory where the Three Eyed Crow is really a prisoner of the Children of the Forest, being forced to watch events through heart trees with little, if any power to manipulate things. I think he can only die when someone else is trained for his position, and put in his place.

This is going more out there, but I feel like the first prisoner was Brandon the Builder, paying for whatever horrible things he may have done to create and maintain the wall (another theory), then the 13th lord commander was taken after being defeated, then Bloodraven, an now he's trying to trick Bran into taking his place so he can move on.

I'm not sure what role the Children of the Forest have in mind for him in regards to the Others and heart trees, but that will probably play into Bran's future. If he does get out, it'll probably be for the worst, like now the Whitewalkers have more power and the cave is destroyed. 

I think a question here is how could Bran leave the cave. it'll probably be something super negative. My money's on Mel sending a shadow assassin after the 3EC

Only a gut feeling that "yes" Bran will leave the cave, but I think he has to make another person take his seat in order to do so.

This overtly religious name, Theon's ambition to find and take "his" seat and a sensibility which already seemed to have established a connection to Bran, even Theon's weirwood-like looks with white hair and chopped limbs give me a feel that Bran already found his stand-in. 

On 3/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, Belgarad said:

I used to have a crazy theory that Bran would use Hodor as an avatar to communicate with the outside world while staying in the cave.  Unfortunately the show's depiction of Hodor's fate has caused me to rethink that idea.  Now I would guess that he does make it back down south in the next book.

I do not watch the show but as much as I know its story line got pretty far away from the book. I also think that Bran may use Hodor's body to make some excursions, but I think Bran himself will never leave the tree. BTW I do not understad whats so "dark" about it. It is for the kingdom and mankind ;) 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, Shara said:

I'm undecided.

All of the main characters are on increasingly dark paths by the end of ADWD and I think they'll all come to a crossroads where they have a pivotal decision to make.

I'd like to think that Bran will make it out of the cave, but I'm expecting at least one of them to choose the darker route . . . I just don't know who it will be. And of course, there's always the possibility that Bran staying in the cave is the right choice to make for the greater good while leaving would be the self-serving option.

I think Tyrion, Stannis, Cersei and Daenerys will be choosing the darker route. Truly darker. While Daenerys will have the time and the capital to soften up and come back around, Tyrion and Stannis are doomed once they even move in that direction. And if Tyrion is doomed, then that means Cersei is f----d.

I also think Jon is going to be taking a darker route but it will be tempered by a need to serve and accomplish for the greater good. Arya will be sorely and I mean SORELY tempted but she'll make the right choice.

Sansa? Who knows with Sansa, Brienne or Jaime; it's an absolute coin toss with those three. 

Arianne has absolutely no idea what she's signing up for so I won't fault her for the (bad!!!) decision she's about to make. Aegon has no choice in the matter because he's a pawn in a much larger conspiracy. JonCon has already made the wrong choice but he'll live long enough just to realize exactly how much he screwed up...then he'll die.

Samwell will chose right even though he has some very big obstacles to overcome.

Back on topic though, Bran will make the right choice but he'll likely pay for it dearly. If he gets out of the cave, it's going to be a nightmare. Both logistically and within the narrative. Bloodraven has been watching him for quite some time and not going to want him to leave...probably for the sake of protecting Bran from the dark ugly abyss that is the uber-political game of life in Westeros proper. The Children and whatever else they are allied with (the Great Other/Night King figure perhaps) are even less likely to let Bran leave.

If Bran thinks that staying in the cave/the greater good means that the Others are successful, that Meera is to be sacrificed, etc., then he's going to want to leave. And if he's going to want to reunite with his siblings if it means that they (esp. Jon) are the key to the defeat of the Others.

I do expect him to make it back to Winterfell...eventually, one way or another. I'd like to think he returns to Winterfell and reunites with Sansa, Arya, Jon and maybe Rickon in A Dream of Spring and makes the Winterfell godswood his HQ. But we'll see.

8 hours ago, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

I have almost no idea what GRRM's going to do with Bran at this point. 

Does anyone? :D

Bran is a complete blank slate and everything attached to his arc is an unknown. Which is weird because he was and still is marketed like one of THE most important characters in the entire series.

When it comes to The Song of Ice and Fire, we know quite a bit about the fire aspect but we know nothing about the ice.

Yes, I think he leaves.

The underground river is there for a reason.

I also have this uneasy feeling that the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven do not have the Seven Kingdoms' interests at heart, and that Bran will decide to leave when he discovers this.

(Somewhat similar to the relationships between Sansa and Littlefinger and between Arya and the FM.  Once they figure out their mentors' true motives, they will likely bail.)

48 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I also have this uneasy feeling that the Children of the Forest and Bloodraven do not have the Seven Kingdoms' interests at heart, and that Bran will decide to leave when he discovers this.

Bloodraven, Craster, Coldhands (zombie Benjen) and CotF are the bad guys!!

What is the whole purpose of Bran going to the 3EC??? How is he going to help fight the Others when he is in a cave surrounded by zombies?

Seriously think about it...how is Bran going to help the humans, while being stuck in a tree? (Please don't say time-travel)

Bran has been a hostage his entire life...Osha, Theon...etc. He has become another hostage again.

And Westeros is in good shape against an White Walker attack anyways.

Dragonstone has a ton of dragonglass, Sam is going to notify Loras to import the dragonglass.

Dany will eventually come and her three dragons will create another Field of Fire for the zombies.

This is not the TV show, nothing proves the Others have super strength to attack a dragon.

9 minutes ago, The Map Guy said:

What is the whole purpose of Bran going to the 3EC??? How is he going to help fight the Others when he is in a cave surrounded by zombies?

Seriously think about it...how is Bran going to help the humans, while being stuck in a tree? (Please don't say time-travel)

Bran has been a hostage his entire life...Osha, Theon...etc. He has become another hostage again.

And Westeros is in good shape against an White Walker attack anyways.

Dragonstone has a ton of dragonglass, Sam is going to notify Loras to import the dragonglass.

Dany will eventually come and her three dragons will create another Field of Fire for the zombies.

This is not the TV show, nothing proves the Others have super strength to attack a dragon.

Westeros is in OK shape.

It is politically divided and polarized.  It is going to need all hands on deck, and that may be difficult.

Sam is at Oldtown, and can't order anyone to do anything.  And even if they realize dragonglass is useful, it still has to be turned into weapons.

Dany has only three dragons, and they aren't very big.  The Fields of Fire may no be all that large.  And eventually is the operative word here.  She is still a long ways away.

I expect Westeros will win anyway, but it won't be easy.

Agree with you about Bran.  It is going to be difficult to affect events stuck in a tree.  I expect he will get useful information, and then leave so as to be able to disseminate it effectively.  I expect the underground river empties into the Milkwater or the sea.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:59 AM, Impbread said:

Is Bran going to leave the cave or is he going to be another human ball of roots?

On first read my initial thought was that Bran does not leave the CotF cave.

My thought was that after the long ass journey to get Bran to the destination martin would use Bran as a back ground story teller.

Bran is a cripple. He can use his mind to warg and skin change. BUT his body canna physically move unless sumbody moves it.

Bran and companions can't venture out of the cave because there are wights hanging round the warded cave.

The frekking back door is useless due to martins clearly defined sink hole.

Unless the CotF have a raft/canoe hidden down by the under ground river Hodor would need to carry Bran on his back through the under ground caves --- referencing Gorne's Way.

Bran stays in the CotF cave unless in DoS uncle Benjen comes along with a horse.  Keep in mind Coldhands elk died. Elk are stronger than equines but then again goats with one horn or two are really good survivors in snow bound environment.

4 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Surely you jest.

Maybe martin uses Bran to tell background storys - visions via weirwood tree --- old gods?

Ohhhhh, nooooooo, time travel :ack:

Stannis already notified his man to mine the dragonglass.

Archived