Eurovision 2019

Baitac

The Eurovision Song Contest will begin on Tuesday, May 14 and will conclude with its final show on Saturday, May 18. As Israel's Netta Barzilai won last year with Toy, this year's contest will take place in Tel Aviv. Here are the rules of Eurovision: https://eurovision.tv/about/rules. I live in the US but I enjoy the contest and find its history and socio-political maneuverings fascinating. Please share what you think. Do you think this is a silly event? Do you like your country's entry? Who do you like this year? So far, my favorites are (in no particular order):

Italy "Soldi" by Mahmood

Portugal "Telemoveis" by Conan Osiris https://eurovision.tv/video/conan-osiris-telemoveis-portugal-official-video-eurovision-2019

The Netherlands "Arcade" by Duncan Lawrence https://eurovision.tv/video/premiere-duncan-laurence-song-release-the-netherlands-eurovision-2019

Spain "La Venda" by Miki

Switzerland Luca Hanni "She Got Me" https://eurovision.tv/video/premiere-switzerland-song-release-eurovision-song-contest-2019

Australia Kate Miller-Heidke "Zero Gravity" https://eurovision.tv/video/kate-miller-heidke-zero-gravity-australia-national-final-performance-eurovision-2019-1

Sweden's selecting its song tomorrow. Right now the touts have John Lundvik's "Too Late for Love" up as the likely winner, and I think that's quite possible:

There's some interesting synergy with the UK in two ways: one, John Lundvik is British-born, adopted by a Swedish couple in the UK and raised there until he was six before going to Sweden. That alone may pique the interest of UK voters.

But then there's the fact that Lundvik is one the writer of the UK's entry -- because it was a song Melodifestivalen's organizers commissioned as part of a writing camp to get together strong songs for the competition, only for them to apparently decide it wasn't good enough and had Lundvik sing something else. 

If Lundvik goes forward, I forsee a very good score from the UK at least, which is not a norm for Sweden. Every little bit helps.

Now, that said, I am once again partial to Wiktoria's entry. Like Lundvik, she's a past competitor at Melodifestivalen, and like Lundvik got pretty close in her previous run. This song, "Not With Me", is quite the torch song, and the dramatic use of the rain machine (especially in the final portion of the song) is quite eye-catching and should work well for the Eurovision-as-theatre aspect of things:

Italy always sends good music. The French entry has a deeply personal touch and may appeal (and is currently highly touted at this early point, but I'm not sure I trust the touts this far out for the Eurovision results).

For the biggest jaw-dropper of this year's Eurovision, I give you Iceland:

All the selected songs can be found here: https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/songs-videos

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Sweden's selecting its song tomorrow. Right now the touts have John Lundvik's "Too Late for Love" up as the likely winner, and I think that's quite possible:

There's some interesting synergy with the UK in two ways: one, John Lundvik is British-born, adopted by a Swedish couple in the UK and raised there until he was six before going to Sweden. That alone may pique the interest of UK voters.

But then there's the fact that Lundvik is one the writer of the UK's entry -- because it was a song Melodifestivalen's organizers commissioned as part of a writing camp to get together strong songs for the competition, only for them to apparently decide it wasn't good enough and had Lundvik sing something else. 

If Lundvik goes forward, I forsee a very good score from the UK at least, which is not a norm for Sweden. Every little bit helps.

Now, that said, I am once again partial to Wiktoria's entry. Like Lundvik, she's a past competitor at Melodifestivalen, and like Lundvik got pretty close in her previous run. This song, "Not With Me", is quite the torch song, and the dramatic use of the rain machine (especially in the final portion of the song) is quite eye-catching and should work well for the Eurovision-as-theatre aspect of things:

Italy always sends good music. The French entry has a deeply personal touch and may appeal (and is currently highly touted at this early point, but I'm not sure I trust the touts this far out for the Eurovision results).

For the biggest jaw-dropper of this year's Eurovision, I give you Iceland:

All the selected songs can be found here: https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/songs-videos

Hi Ran!! I love Bilal and his story. It's a beautiful song. I just think his voice is quiet and there are so many better entries. Hatari is a bold choice for Iceland. Go big or go home. It is mesmerizing. They're quite the show. Holy cow. For outré stuff, I prefer Conan, though. Yes! I hope Wictoria wins!

As predicted, John Lundvik's song was selected. The 8 international juries of music professionals that Melodifestivalen arranged all chose his song unanimously as #1, and that it took #1 from voters in Sweden.

22 hours ago, Ran said:

As predicted, John Lundvik's song was selected. The 8 international juries of music professionals that Melodifestivalen arranged all chose his song unanimously as #1, and that it took #1 from voters in Sweden.

It’s always nice to have a fan favorite win. I felt bad for Wictoria, though. She didn’t place as high as I anticipated.

Oooh Baita, you made me come back after 2 yrs hiatus. <3

Needless to say, Eurovision is It. xD So far, it looks like Switzerland, the Netherlands, Russia, Italy, Cyprus and maybe Sweden are the top ranked entries. Russia will be difficult to beat for any country, as not only are they Russia, but they are entering SERGEY!!!!111!! with a massive power ballad. 

It's time for all us Tovariches to put on the PINK UNDEROOS OF THE MOTHERLAND!  

Pink underpants oh yes

Unfortunately, he is not competing with the underpant-song, but Switzerland, the Netherlands, Italy or whomever will need to get past this Pink underpant-wonder.

СЕРГЕЙ ЛАЗАРЕВ!!

Yeah well, so this is just ... bland. I predict it not going into the finals, but then that is not hard to predict. :P

Surprised by all the native languages represented here.

I wanted to know what Iceland was on about, and the lyrics are ... very much NOT "Love Love, Peace Peace":

Hate will prevail
Happiness will end
For it is an illusion
A treacherous pipe dream

Hate will prevail
Love will die
Hate will prevail
Happiness will end
For it is an illusion
A treacherous pipe dream

That is innovative at least, I must say.

Also, seven hells, Sergej's song is five years old? :o How long have I been on this forum?

@Meera of Tarth, possibly a thread of interest to you.

5 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yeah well, so this is just ... bland. I predict it not going into the finals, but then that is not hard to predict. :P

I wanted to know what Iceland was on about, and the lyrics are ... very much NOT "Love Love, Peace Peace":

Also, seven hells, Sergej's song is five years old? :o How long have I been on this forum?

Absolutely! It is, thanks!! 

On 3/12/2019 at 7:56 AM, Buckwheat said:

Zala and Gasper sure look like they love and connect with each other but they don’t connect with me. The song has an interesting mood but yes, it’s bland. I don’t see it advancing either Bucky.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, Lyanna Stark said:

Norway's nice. I like it. It's got Sami jojk as well, so the ethnic box is ticked! A bit like Nightwish meets Aqua plus jojk.

This dude made me laugh tho, and it's basically a bit like I felt as well. Chills! Italy 2020, you can do it! Rome 1 - Moscow 0 (poor SERGEY!!!1 )

You should check Shady Shae’s reaction to Conan. I laughed out loud. 

This is the videoclip of "La Venda" (The bandage) - (Spain). Looks like it was shot in Barcelona

Chorus:

The bandage already fell off.....

and only happiness was left....

The bandage already fell off....

.and new days will begin.

The bandage already fell off......

intensifying fantasies

and you will be as you wanted to be.

(Not sure how to translate "ya" with a past simple if not with the word already, because in Spanish it can be used also with non-perfect forms, like here).

On 3/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, Buckwheat said:

Hatrið mun sigra lyric:

Hate will prevail
Happiness will end

On 3/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

La Venda lyric:

LoL

So if you play "Hatrið mun sigra" backwards you can hear "la venda"... 

1 hour ago, Cridefea said:

LoL

So if you play "Hatrið mun sigra" backwards you can hear "la venda"... 

I had to check it....oh my..tooooooo heavy, but haha cool 

La Venda + Hatrid crossover=Eurovision

On 3/11/2019 at 6:47 PM, Lyanna Stark said:

Oooh Baita, you made me come back after 2 yrs hiatus. <3

Needless to say, Eurovision is It. xD So far, it looks like Switzerland, the Netherlands, Russia, Italy, Cyprus and maybe Sweden are the top ranked entries. Russia will be difficult to beat for any country, as not only are they Russia, but they are entering SERGEY!!!!111!! with a massive power ballad. 

It's time for all us Tovariches to put on the PINK UNDEROOS OF THE MOTHERLAND!  

Pink underpants oh yes

Unfortunately, he is not competing with the underpant-song, but Switzerland, the Netherlands, Italy or whomever will need to get past this Pink underpant-wonder.

СЕРГЕЙ ЛАЗАРЕВ!!

JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH!!!

PINK UNDEROOS ARE BACK?!?!?!?!?!

This ESC has just become THE BESTEST!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

This is the videoclip of "La Venda" (The bandage) - (Spain). Looks like it was shot in Barcelona

Chorus:

The bandage already fell off....

.and new days will begin.

intensifying fantasies

and you will be as you wanted to be.

(Not sure how to translate "ya" with a past simple if not with the word already, because in Spanish it can be used also with non-perfect forms, like here).

I love this and Miki. I think it’s “the blindfold has fallen and only happiness is here.” Take off the blindfold which is keeping people from progressing and being how they should be. It’s against prejudice and pre-conceptions.  Viva Espanña! 

Archived