Upcoming TV Series of 2019/2020 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

10 hours ago, Ran said:

The Asunda story is rather remarkable. I've never heard of Sebastian A. Jones or his work before, but he seems to have basically single-handedly leveraged conventions and Kickstarter to fund Stranger Comics, his imprint, and seems to have very thoughtfully approached things from the perspective of generating a fantasy world IP. It reminds me a little bit of Crossgen, who were basically created with the primary idea of generating IP that could be turned into film and television. 

I wonder what happened to crossgen IP. Didn't Disney buy it? The way their titles were all connected by gems and varied from sherlock holmes and SF and traditional fantasy feels like a great fit for Disney shared movie franchises. I guess the fact Disney has Marvel is all the answer we need. Although I think there was also some nasty conflict between the Crossgen owner and the creators in terms of ownership so that could also be a factor.

11 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Well, we good use some good ones, I actually can't think of a single good one being aired right now.

I agree. If this one is a great zombie show then no complaints here - it's not like I'm watching all the bad ones.

1 minute ago, red snow said:

I wonder what happened to crossgen IP. Didn't Disney buy it? The way their titles were all connected by gems and varied from sherlock holmes and SF and traditional fantasy feels like a great fit for Disney shared movie franchises.

Marvel actually published three mini-series in 2011 -- RuseSigil, and Mystic -- with plans to do a couple more, but low sales led them to cancel those plans. Nothing has happened since so far as I know. I suspect they're just going to sit there gathering dust, which is a shame -- I liked Ruse and El Cazador, and Jim Cheung's art was great on Scion (especially the Hal Foster tribute issue).

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Marvel actually published three mini-series in 2011 -- RuseSigil, and Mystic -- with plans to do a couple more, but low sales led them to cancel those plans. Nothing has happened since so far as I know. I suspect they're just going to sit there gathering dust, which is a shame -- I liked Ruse and El Cazador, and Jim Cheung's art was great on Scion (especially the Hal Foster tribute issue).

I vaguely recall that now you mention it. The series all had potential and i suspect they could fare much better as TV/film shows.

I guess the Disney association makes other companies reluctant to use them. Who knows maybe Disney will need some other material for their streaming channel

On 3/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

In 1932 .... While the rest of the country recovers from the Great Depression

What? The Great Depression hadn't even hit bottom yet in 1932. There is nothing at all like a recovery until late 1935 - 36 -- and that wasn't much, and it was due entirely to the programs Eleanor talked FDR to get into place, and FDR negotiated and chivvied and bribed the south to go along with.  (But still, no federal law against lynching.)

Just to follow-up on the HBO news of optioning the Asunda comic book fantasy world, Bleeding Cool reports that their understanding (from what I can see, they seem to have regularly covered Jones) is that HBO has basically purchased everything, including the publishing company, for a seven figure deal. I'm not sure I'd trust this 100% as it seems to me it's coming from Jones and his people, but it's not impossible. I dug into the trademark database and I see that Jones applied for a trademark on the term Asunda in February, so that could well be locking some things down in advance of a deal with HBO.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, Calibandar said:

Well, we good use some good ones, I actually can't think of a single good one being aired right now.

It's not controversial round these parts to suggest that the latest season of The Walking Dead is the best one yet.

If it's a show you once enjoyed, but were driven away by cheap and dubious writing practices, it's probably safe to come back. 

10 hours ago, Spockydog said:

It's not controversial round these parts to suggest that the latest season of The Walking Dead is the best one yet.

If it's a show you once enjoyed, but were driven away by cheap and dubious writing practices, it's probably safe to come back. 

Even if it's the best it's still not great. I was enjoying it up unto the mid season break but the return was poor with them spending an episode with two teens sitting in a jail Chatting while Darryl watched them. But i haven't given up on it like i did with the entirety of last season so i agree with the sentiment this season is ideal for anyone wanting to give the show another chance.

13 hours ago, Ran said:

Just to follow-up on the HBO news of optioning the Asunda comic book fantasy world, Bleeding Cool reports that their understanding (from what I can see, they seem to have regularly covered Jones) is that HBO has basically purchased everything, including the publishing company, for a seven figure deal. I'm not sure I'd trust this 100% as it seems to me it's coming from Jones and his people, but it's not impossible. I dug into the trademark database and I see that Jones applied for a trademark on the term Asunda in February, so that could well be locking some things down in advance of a deal with HBO.

I read the same article and found it curious given HBO has access to DC properties (I'm guessing because of the warner connection).

Maybe a case of "may as well buy the whole thing". That and prevent Amazon or other rivals getting the IP.

I guess with the DC subscription channel most of their superhero comics will go there. But Watchmen is at HBO. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 8:22 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Another Cobra Kai s2 trailer

And there are already fan theories that "Tory with a 'y'" is daughter of "Ali with an 'i'".

I never thought id be stoked for a Karate Kid show, but i think im looking forward to this more than anything else...

On 4/4/2019 at 10:15 PM, Nictarion said:

Crime series by Refn, and Ed Brubaker...yep I’m in. 

I'm hoping brubaker's script can hopefully stop refn disappearing up his own arse otherwise i fear there may be an entire episode dedicated to a slow zoom in shot along a corridor to a silent protagonist. Brubaker has a good comic pedigree in terms of crime/noir and he did some good work in season 1 of Westworld. Refn directing will ensure it looks like nothing else on tv.

It's great that Amazon supports these types of show but i can see why bezos told them to get him a "GOT" leading to expanse, LOTR and WOT. Be great if this becomes a massive hit but i suspect it's more likely to be a critical hit than a subscription winner.

There were reports swamp thing wrapped production 3 episodes sooner than planned which sounds a bit worrying. Fine if they simply decided to remove 3 episodes of filler but seems odd to change so late in filming

The Virtues - A new drama written and directed by Shane Meadows, (Dead Man's Shoes, This is England), and starring the utterly brilliant Stephen Graham.

If you like stuff that's dark, gritty and punches you in the gut, this will be right up your street.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-04-18/the-virtues-channel-4-air-date-cast-plot-trailer-stephen-graham-shane-meadows/

Archived