Upcoming TV Series of 2019/2020 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

15 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Double Awesome! I was not expecting them to go with the puppet look. I really just thought it would be some plastic looking CGI thing. 

I think the original movie was actually really not that great, nowhere near as good as Labyrinth, but it had some beautifully designed creatures and haunting ideas. I'm sure there is scope to create something really good here.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Double Awesome! I was not expecting them to go with the puppet look. I really just thought it would be some plastic looking CGI thing. 

I think the original movie was actually really not that great, nowhere near as good as Labyrinth, but it had some beautifully designed creatures and haunting ideas. I'm sure there is scope to create something really good here.

As a kid I got the novelization and read that long before I saw the actual movie.  The movie was disappointing in comparison for sure, but the novelization had photos from the movie that overbuilt my expectations.

When single shines the triple sun
What was sundered and undone
Shall be whole, the two made one
By gelfling hand or else by none.

https://www.caracolinternacional.com/en/production/bolivar-man-legend

Includes trailer -- another epic Caracole production.  Netflix next month.

Also, third and final season of Jessica Jones.  Unlike everybody else I pretty much loved the second season, so .. yes!

https://screenrant.com/jessica-jones-season-3-release-netflix/

Temple (Sky One)

Temple tells the story of Daniel Milton, a talented surgeon whose world is turned upside-down when his wife develops a life-threatening illness. Conventional options for treatment run out, yet Daniel refuses to accept the cards he’s been dealt. He partners with the obsessive yet surprisingly resourceful misfit Lee, to start a literal ‘underground’ clinic in the vast network of tunnels beneath Temple tube station in London.

The drama series, which was created by Mark O’Rowe and is based on Norwegian drama Valkyrien, is being produced by Hera Pictures and stars Mark Strong, Catherine McCormack, Daniel Mays, Carice Van Houten, Tobi King Bakare, Wunmi Mosaku, Craig Parkinson, Lily Newmark, Chloe Pirrie and Ryan McKen.

Has anyone encountered more news, more recent than 2017, about the Poldark creators' proposed production of a series from Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles? or any of her other works that supposedly have been optioned?

Nothing to speak of. I feel like they probably gave up on it. I don't mind if that's the case. No adaptation could capture Dunnett's joyous erudition. 

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Nothing to speak of. I feel like they probably gave up on it. I don't mind if that's the case. No adaptation could capture Dunnett's joyous erudition. 

I'm not sure about that.  Such a quality shows up brilliantly in Paul Giamatti's Chuck Rhoades in Billions.  It takes writers though, who know the time the characters inhabit, and what they would know well -- and know it well themselves.  But the thing is, when it comes to period and action films, the spectacle and action eventually push out the psychology, character, plot and history, because, oddly enough, the spectacle and action are easier to do -- duh, it is moving pictures after all.  It even happens in visualization of books by Jane Austen.  More ball rooms! less story!

On 5/25/2019 at 10:54 AM, Zorral said:

Has anyone encountered more news, more recent than 2017, about the Poldark creators' proposed production of a series from Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles? or any of her other works that supposedly have been optioned?

On twitter you can find some tweets from 2018 that seem to indicate a pilot script was written and BBC asked for some changes and in the meantime the screenwriter was committed to other projects and couldn't work on it right away but that its still on the pipeline.  Most of these tweets are from mid 2018 so nothing more recent than that.  *fingers crossed* that it eventually happens.

ETA: Appears it is Gwyneth Hughes who is the screenwriter.  Her agent has it listed on her bio and Mammoth Screen tagged her in a tweet when they said they were working on it.

‘Gomorrah’ Producer Cattleya Producing Latin-Language Drama ‘Romulus

Gomorrah producer Cattleya is making a TV drama about Romulus, the founder and first king of Rome, in archaic Latin for Sky Italia. ITV Studios Global Entertainment will handle international sales.

The ITV-owned producer is producing Romulus, created by Matteo Rovere, who directed The First King feature. It marks Rovere’s television debut. The ten-part series is co-produced by Rovere’s Groenlandia and will start filming in Rome in early June.

It will star Andrea Arcangeli (Trust), Marianna Fontana (Indivisible) and Francesco Di Napoli (Piranhas) with Rovere directing alongside Michele Alhaique and Enrico Maria Artale. It is written by Rovere, Filippo Gravino (The First King) and Guido Iuculano (A Quiet Life).

The series is set in eighth century B.C., in a primitive and brutal world in which man’s fate is decided by the merciless power of nature and the gods. It is the story of Romulus and his twin brother Remus, as seen through the eyes of three people marked by death, loneliness and violence: Iemos, Wiros and the young vestal Ilia.

Rounding out the cast are Giovanni Buselli (My Brilliant Friend), Silvia Calderoni (Bloody Richard), Sergio Romano (Il Campione), Demetra Avincola (Lucky), Massimiliano Rossi (The First King), Ivana Lotito (Gomorrah), Gabriel Montesi (Made in Italy) and Vanessa Scalera (Lea).

On 5/28/2019 at 5:10 PM, lady narcissa said:
6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Gomorrah producer Cattleya is making a TV drama about Romulus, the founder and first king of Rome, in archaic Latin

Appears it is Gwyneth Hughes who is the screenwriter.  Her agent has it listed on her bio and Mammoth Screen tagged her in a tweet when they said they were working on it...

Thank you!

Wonder who will be in charge of the Italian subtitles .... :)

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Thank you!

Wonder who will be in charge of the Italian subtitles .... :)  This will be interesting, as Gomorrah, an excellent television series, did such a good job employing more than one language: local dialect, Italian, English, Spanish, etc. There has been speculation on what the next 'GOT' will be.  This could be it?

1 minute ago, red snow said:

Sounds excellent! And really refreshing for it not to be about julius caesar and the fall of the Republic.

I mean that period of time was full of extra ordinary drama to the point where the Rome tv series couldn’t pack it all in.. but i agree.

Interested in this tv show, especially as I’m currently reading SPQR by Mary Beard. I didn’t realise how disputed Rome’s founding story actually was.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I mean that period of time was full of extra ordinary drama to the point where the Rome tv series couldn’t pack it all in.. but i agree.

Interested in this tv show, especially as I’m currently reading SPQR by Mary Beard. I didn’t realise how disputed Rome’s founding story actually was.

I can totally see the lure given the players involved and documents backing it up but there are lots of other fascinating eras so good to see them get some attention. 

SPQR is a great read. Despite wanting to see other eras in TV i really can't get enough of reading different historians take on events from the gracchi brothers to Augustus. 

It does seem there are multiple versions particularly with the fate of the brothers and who they were raised by. I'm guessing the show is more likely to go with the idea that the she-wolf was also slang for prostitute as it'd be easier to film but it depends how grounded they want to go

Archived