Upcoming TV Series of 2019/2020 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Didn't realize it was connected to Frank Miller, expectations plummet along with my assumption it might be from a female character's perspective. I've got mixed up thinking it was an adaptation of a novel but maybe morgane le fey was the focus there?

I believe it's adapting an as-yet-unpublished YA novel Miller co-wrote with Thomas Wheeler, and like the show it focuses on the character of Nimue who, in Miller's telling, will become the Lady of the Lake.

There was an excerpt here that did not impress me at all.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

A big favourite of mine back in the day. I can assure you it hasn’t aged well at all.

That's a shame. It seemed particularly character and arc driven from my childhood memory.

I made a point of never watching the live action film

Green Frontier (Frontera verde) | Teaser | Netflix

Deep in the Amazon, on the border between Brazil and Colombia, a series of bizarre deaths are investigated by a young female detective, Helena. Soon it becomes clear that the murders are not the biggest mystery...but there are some secrets that are better kept in the jungle.

Ballers: Season 5

Original Series from HBO Max:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/hbo-max-warnermedia-shows-announced-1203262497/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/21/20702639/dc-universe-hbo-max-doom-patrol-renewed-young-justice-harley-quinn-san-diego-comic-con-2019

https://deadline.com/2019/07/circe-fantasy-drama-series-hbo-max-rick-jaffa-amanda-silver-based-on-novel-madeline-miller-1202657229/

Interested in:

Tokyo Vice,” based on Jake Adelstein’s nonfiction account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat starring Ansel Elgort.

Station Eleven,” a post-apocalyptic limited series based on Emily St. John Mandel’s bestseller, adapted by Patrick Somerville and directed by Hiro Murai.

Crime Farm,” a drama series executive produced by Nicole Kidman, a psychosexual love story that follows a couple who are forensic homicide experts — whose marriage thrives on their investigations into the depravity of the world’s most notorious criminals.

HBO Programming:

WarnerMedia also provided highlights of HBO originals that have previously been announced for 2020 and 2021:

Stephen King’s “The Outsider,” a dark mystery starring Ben Mendelsohn, produced and directed by Jason Bateman.
    “Lovecraft Country,” a horror series based on a novel by Matt Ruff, written and executive produced by Misha Green, and executive produced by Jordan Peele and J.J. Abrams.
    “The Nevers,” Joss Whedon’s new science-fiction series starring Laura Donnelly.
    “The Gilded Age,” set in the opulent world of 1885 New York from “Downton Abbey’s” Julian Fellowes.
    “Avenue 5,” satire set aboard a space-bound cruise ship from Armando Iannucci (“Veep”), starring Hugh Laurie and Josh Gad.
    “The Undoing,” a psychological thriller from David E. Kelley, directed by Susanne Bier starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant.
    “The Plot Against America,” reimagined history based on Phillip Roth’s novel written and executive produced by David Simon and Ed Burns, starring Winona Ryder and John Turturro.
    “Perry Mason,” the classic legal drama for a new generation, executive produced by Robert Downey, Jr. and Susan Downey, with Matthew Rhys in the title role.
    “I Know This Much Is True,” a family drama starring Mark Ruffalo playing twin brothers, one of whom has schizophrenia, based on the best-selling novel by Wally Lamb, written and directed by Derek Cianfrance.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:59 PM, Ran said:

The Merlin miniseries with Sam Neill and Rutger Hauer (RIP) was pretty decent, as I recall. But yes, Excalibur is to date the only adaptation that really lived up to its potential, IMO.

This is a Frank Miller creation, so... I admit there's a lot of trepidation when one says that, these days. He's not produced anything really exceptional in, I'd say, a couple of decades.

The BBC Merlin TV series was massively inconsistent and took forever to get the story arc going, but once it did (and they started using the LotR MASSIVE CG software) it turned out pretty decent. Tony Head as Uther Pendragon is some kind of genius casting move and Katie McGrath as Morgana was also outstanding. For a different spin on the legend - including also colour-blind casting - it worked okay.

I would really like to see Cornwell's Arthurian series get put up on screen, with the same skill as has been done with his Last Kingdom books.

The Warlord Chronicles is the definitive modern retelling (as in the last 30 years) of the Arthurian legend in print. Not high literature in prose terms, but Cornwell's utter commitment to putting the ahistorical legend in a real historical context is phenomenal and works really well.

It is in development at Bad Wolf and once His Dark Materials is up and running, I suspect we'll see them move forwards with that show.

You must have watched some other Excalibur. Can't recall anything I'd ever see as idiotic in that film. It captured the worldview embedded in medieval romances better than just about any other film I can think of, and Boorman's artistry is nearly unmatched in genre film. 

Boorman's Excalibur is a vivid fevre dream of a movie, beautifully shot with a good cast and some fantastic visual flourishes (the armour being so shiny you can barely look at it). It's also a film which can, and often does, drop into a stunning degree of camp, especially whenever Nicol Williamson's Merlin is around (fantastic actor, but also some quite bizarre acting choices in that film in many scenes) or the film slips into soft-focus. Definitely a unique take on the character.

It's also poorly paced, in particular rushing through the story like the entire cast and crew is on crack (which given when it was filmed, is not impossible). But that's unavoidable when you try to do the whole Arthurian legend in under two hours, which is a repeated issue with all of these movies (not that having 10 hours helps either, as Starz's Camelot also showed, despite an excellent supporting cast).

It was certainly as fantastic and amazing an adaptation of the Arthurian legend as I think was feasible in the early 1980s, although I'm glad his plans to direct LotR fell through and he switched to Arthur.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The BBC Merlin TV series was massively inconsistent and took forever to get the story arc going, but once it did (and they started using the LotR MASSIVE CG software) it turned out pretty decent. Tony Head as Uther Pendragon is some kind of genius casting move and Katie McGrath as Morgana was also outstanding. For a different spin on the legend - including also colour-blind casting - it worked okay.

The Warlord Chronicles is the definitive modern retelling (as in the last 30 years) of the Arthurian legend in print. Not high literature in prose terms, but Cornwell's utter commitment to putting the ahistorical legend in a real historical context is phenomenal and works really well.

It is in development at Bad Wolf and once His Dark Materials is up and running, I suspect we'll see them move forwards with that show.

Boorman's Excalibur is a vivid fevre dream of a movie, beautifully shot with a good cast and some fantastic visual flourishes (the armour being so shiny you can barely look at it). It's also a film which can, and often does, drop into a stunning degree of camp, especially whenever Nicol Williamson's Merlin is around (fantastic actor, but also some quite bizarre acting choices in that film in many scenes) or the film slips into soft-focus. Definitely a unique take on the character.

It's also poorly paced, in particular rushing through the story like the entire cast and crew is on crack (which given when it was filmed, is not impossible). But that's unavoidable when you try to do the whole Arthurian legend in under two hours, which is a repeated issue with all of these movies (not that having 10 hours helps either, as Starz's Camelot also showed, despite an excellent supporting cast).

It was certainly as fantastic and amazing an adaptation of the Arthurian legend as I think was feasible in the early 1980s, although I'm glad his plans to direct LotR fell through and he switched to Arthur.

One of my favorite film versions of the King Arthur (other the Monty Python and the Holy Grail) has been the musical Camelot with Richard Harris.  Most of the other film adaptations haven't really lived up to my expectations from reading the  Boy's King Arthur and the Once and Future King growing up.    Excalibur came close at times, but still went a little strange.     The Warlord Chronicles and Mary Stewart's Merlin books are probably my favorite books retelling the Arthur myth, would love to see either one adapted to the television (the Merlin miniseries covered some of Merlin origins, but leaned much more heavily on magic than Stewart's Merlin).   I did like how Guy Gavriel Kay incorporated elements of the Arthur myth in his Fionavar Tapestry.   Also liked Camelot 3000's take on King Arthur's return.      

The Stand TV series casts 4 actors, Stephen King to write new ending

https://ew.com/tv/2019/08/01/the-stand-cast-stephen-king-new-ending/

But perhaps the biggest news for King-philes is that the author himself will pen the show’s finale, and it will include “a new coda that won’t be found in the book” that will reveal more about what happened to the survivors.  (Presumably, they mean books, as The Stand was originally released in one form and then was re-released an expanded version with 500 additional pages).

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance | Trailer | Netflix

TREADSTONE Official Trailer

Starring Brian J. Smith (Netflix's Sense8), Jeremy Irvine (War Horse), and Michelle Forbes (The Killing, Berlin Station), the eight-episode "event" series is hailing from "The Bourne Legacy" and "Jason Bourne" producer Ben Smith and "Heroes" creator Tim Kring.

The USA Network series is a spin-off of the "Bourne" film series based on the best-selling spy novels by Robert Ludlum.

The Morning Show — Official Teaser Trailer | Apple TV+

The news is only half the story.

The Morning Show stars Academy Award-winner Reese Witherspoon, Emmy Award-winner Jennifer Aniston and Golden Globe-winner Steve Carell in a high-stakes drama that pulls back the curtain on early morning TV.

Coming Soon | Watchmen, His Dark Materials, Westworld and More | HBO

‘Beforeigners’: Vikings & Burnt-Out Cops, HBO Europe Unveils International Trailer For Quirky Sci-Fi Drama

HBO has released the first international trailer for its quirky Norwegian sci-fi drama Beforeigners. The series, which comes out of HBO Europe and stars Blade Runner 2049’s Krista Kosonen and Aquitted’s Nicolai Cleve Broch, is to launch on August 21.The drama, which will be available in the U.S. via the WarnerMedia-owned network’s digital platforms, was created by Anne Bjørnstad and Eilif Skodvin, the creative team behind Netflix’s Lilyhammer.

It follows a new phenomenon that starts happening all over the world as powerful flashes of light occur in the ocean, and people from the past appear. They come from three separate time periods: The Stone Age, The Viking era and late 19th Century. No one understands how this is possible, and the people from the past, called ”beforeigners”, have no memory of what’s transpired. Only one thing is certain: they keep coming and there is no way back.

A couple of years later, Alfhildr, played by Kosonen and who comes from the Viking Age, is teamed up with burned-out police officer Lars Haaland, played by Cleve Broch, as part of the police department’s integration scheme. While investigating the murder of a beforeigner, they begin to unravel a larger conspiracy behind the origin of the mysterious mass arrivals.

Archived