Upcoming TV Series of 2019/2020 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

This was the week evidently when the first three eps of Carnival Row became available to screeners.  What I've seen uniformly proclaims CR is a great big expensive stupid mess.  Emphasis on what I've read, such as this:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/aug/24/carnival-row-cara-delavingne

The set-up for Carnival Row is this: I don’t know. Every single sentence uttered in this show hints at rich lore and vibrant world-building but very crucially doesn’t reveal any of it, because Cara Delevingne is running Irishly around a grey sub-city with a pair of CGI wings on her back, and they keep forgetting to tell the story. So the dialogue is like: “Did they kill all the women and children at Bleakness Keep?” and Cara Delevingne half weeps beneath her eyebrows and goes “Aye”. Actually a line I transcribed from the second episode: “Critch magic is a sin against the Martyr!” Another one I didn’t quite understand but: “They call themselves the Black Raven. Fae folk, part of the Wing Brigade … they run ’lixir.” I think ’lixir is this world’s version of illegal hooch, but I do not know for sure. People keep saying “assuredly”. The first thing rich socialite “Ezra Spurnrose” says is “Now, now, dear sister”. Someone wheels a penny farthing through a town square. The entire series is a fever dream hatched in the frenzied mind of someone banned from every steampunk pub-meet in the UK. It absolutely reeks of taking a pint of Hobgoblin back to the bar because it wasn’t tepid enough.

Others may have read more positive reactions.  But gotta say, the above goes right along with the trailers.  It looks goddessa awful. WTF were They thinking????????  And who are They in the first place???????  What a dreadful waste of time, money and space, when it shouldn't have been anywhere near as difficult to do something that was better by at least 50%.

Sanditon, based from a fragment of a novel, never finished, by Jane Austen, starts tonight on ITV -- and it is supposed to be on PBS too, though not until January 2020. I confess, the trailer (a link to it is on the site) looks as if it is dull, lacking the Austen spark.  But there was little of hers to work with:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/sanditon/

Also Netflix releases a movie sequel to Breaking Bad, on 10/11/2019; there is a trailer on Youtube.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/24/arts/television/breaking-bad-movie-starring-aaron-paul-coming-to-netflix-in-october.html

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

Also, _PLEASE PUT THE TRAILERS in the TRAILERS THREAD!

This is a different kind of thread.

Why? If someone tells me of an upcoming show and there is footage available i want to see it

Because 1) the trailers don't tell me anything at all, 2) while taking all the time to load, 3) and to get rid of -- and 4)most of all there is a thread for the trailers.

This thread is about language, the description  of the content and etc.

So if the trailers are here too, why have a trailer thread at all?  Just combine the two, and save space.

24 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Because 1) the trailers don't tell me anything at all, 2) while taking all the time to load, 3) and to get rid of -- and 4)most of all there is a thread for the trailers.

This thread is about language, the description  of the content and etc.

So if the trailers are here too, why have a trailer thread at all?  Just combine the two, and save space.

Well as Ancalagon the Black started the thread i’d say its for him to decide what its for and what to include, not you. Posting the trailer also doesnt mean you cant post the extra info too, which most people actually do.

BRIARPATCH Official Trailer

Based on the Ross Thomas novel, Briarpatch, upcoming mystery-thriller anthology series Briarpatch. Executive produced by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail and written and executive produced by Andy Greenwald, the series is based on the Ross Thomas book of the same name

Rosario Dawson stars as a determined investigator returning to her hometown to investigate the explosive murder of her sister. From mysterious deaths and corruption, to occasional car explosions and zoo animals on the loose, it’s a wild ride throught the town of Saint Disgrace.

The new crime anthology series hails from writer-executive producer Andy Greenwald, executive producer Sam Esmail, UCP (Universal Content Productions) and Paramount Television. The first season, titled Briarpatch, starring Dawson, originally was ordered as a pilot directed by Ana Lily Amirpour.

Marianne | Netflix horror series

When a novelist realizes her terrifying stories are coming true, she returns to her hometown to face the demons from her past that inspire her writing.

Dickinson — Official Teaser Trailer | Apple TV+

Dickinson is a half-hour comedy series starring Oscar® nominee Hailee Steinfeld.
Created by Alena Smith, Dickinson audaciously explores the constraints of society, gender, and family from the perspective of rebellious young poet Emily Dickinson.

Netflix's Dark Crystal prequel (available for streaming this Friday) is getting mostly rave reviews from the critics:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/critics-dark-crystal-prequel-age-of-resistance-visual-marvel-lots-heart

CRITICS CALL DARK CRYSTAL PREQUEL AGE OF RESISTANCE A VISUAL MARVEL WITH LOTS OF HEART

So, how does Age of Resistance stack up against the original film? Well, the consensus so far is that we're in for an epic ride that combines dazzling visuals with a level of heart and character depth that even the original didn't have.

We've known ever since the stunning trailers arrived that we could expect the Jim Henson Creature Shop to be in top form for the new series, which follows a trio of Gelflings as they launch a rebellion against the Skesis in the years before the first film, and the early reviews definitely back that up. Under director Louis Leterrier, the series merges the Henson Company's classic puppet-driven visuals with some modern upgrades to create a dazzling fantasy world, and critics say that sense of wonder extends well beyond the promotional footage. What we didn't know until now was whether or not that same spellbinding sensibility would translate to the characters and the new story, but apparently Age of Resistance also succeeds in that respect. In fact, some critics argue the series goes beyond the realm of mere success and into the realm of masterpiece.

Here's what critics had to say:

"Augmented by some new digital technology, but still executed by Jim Henson's Creature Shop, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is visually breathtaking — building on the wonderment of the movie, not bettering it — and when it comes to story and character, it's in all ways a smarter, funnier and more narratively thrilling enterprise. Whether you're watching for fulfilled nostalgia or current pleasure, this is a whimsical, fun and entertaining series," Daniel Fienberg of The Hollywood Reporter said.

"The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance may be perfect nostalgia...because it never acts nostalgic. It’s a gripping fantasy that expands Jim Henson’s iconic world, challenging viewers of all ages with complex themes, horrifying imagery, and an environmental message we may need now more than ever. Also, it’s a technological masterpiece," Beth Elderkin of io9 said.

"Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance achieves the impossible task of making viewers forget they aren’t watching flesh-and-blood actors on screen. The characters created by the Jim Henson Workshop feel familiar yet exotic, light years away from the sort of Uncanny Valley issues that would have plagued this show were it done strictly by computer imagery. But more than that, the series elevates puppetry to the next level by daringly pushing the artform to its very limits (as well as having fun deconstructing it, such as in a memorable sequence where characters put on their own puppet show to fill in narrative gaps bridging the series and the film)," Chris Cummins of Den of Geek noted.

"Executive-produced by Lisa Henson, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is, quite simply, one of the all-time great fantasy epics, as well as the masterwork of puppetry most closely aligned with Jim Henson’s humanistic philosophy since his son Brian helmed 1992’s holiday perennial, The Muppet Christmas Carol," Matt Fagerholm of RogerEbert.com wrote.

"A prequel to the cult-classic feature film animated with puppets, Netflix’s sprawling The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance series expands and improves upon its predecessor. This is a high-fantasy masterclass that’s richer and more satisfying than we could have anticipated, an experiment on a grand scale that paid off," Samuel R. Murrian of Parade said.

While most reviews so far have ranged from commending the series to outright gushing over it, not all critics felt so positively. Some reviewers who loved the series compared it to the Star Wars prequels by noting it succeeds where they failed, while others felt the comparison should head in a different direction. 

"Age of Resistance is like the Star Wars prequels of the Dark Crystaluniverse, filling in gaps that didn't need to be filled in, and focusing heavily on political machinations among rival factions. There's even a subplot about tariffs," Josh Bell of CBR said. 

Still other critics praised the series' visual style, but found no real connection to the story.

"The puppetry, as might be expected of the Jim Henson Company, is exquisite and, in this era of oppressive CGI, wonderfully tactile. Alas, the story and dialogue are convoluted with a vengeance," Ed Power of The Telegraph said.

You'll be able to decide for yourself how good the show is soon. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance arrives August 30 on Netflix.

1 hour ago, Krishtotter said:

Netflix's Dark Crystal prequel (available for streaming this Friday) is getting mostly rave reviews from the critics:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/critics-dark-crystal-prequel-age-of-resistance-visual-marvel-lots-heart

This is the one show I've been waiting for anxiously. Good to hear it's getting good reviews.

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

This is the one show I've been waiting for anxiously. Good to hear it's getting good reviews.

Yes, I'm looking forward to it landing on Friday as well.

I never saw the original but the visuals look amazing on this prequel and the voice cast are A-class.

9 hours ago, Krishtotter said:

Yes, I'm looking forward to it landing on Friday as well.

I never saw the original but the visuals look amazing on this prequel and the voice cast are A-class.

I highly, highly recommend the original. Great film.

The New Pope (2019): Official Teaser | HBO

Jude Law reprises his role as Pope Pius XIII in academy award winning director Paolo Sorrentino’s follow up to The Young Pope .Academy Award-winning director Paolo Sorrentino returns with The New Pope, his second original series set in the world of the modern papacy. Written by Sorrenttino with Umberto Contarello and Stefano Bises, the nine-episode original series features Jude Law and John Malkovich. Sharon Stone and Marilyn Manson guest star.

Criminal | Franchise Trailer | Netflix

12 unique crime stories, 4 countries, one chance to uncover the truth. Criminal arrives Sept 20th. Only on Netflix.

Catherine the Great (2019): Official Trailer | HBO

Oscar-winner Helen Mirren will lead miniseries Catherine the Great as the tumultuous monarch and politician who ruled the Russian empire and transformed its place in the world in the 18th century. The four-part historical drama will follow the end of Catherine’s reign and her affair with Russian military leader Grigory Potemkin that helped shape the future of Russian politics. Catherine the Great premieres October 21 at 10PM on HBO

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Catherine the Great (2019): Official Trailer | HBO

Oscar-winner Helen Mirren will lead miniseries Catherine the Great as the tumultuous monarch and politician who ruled the Russian empire and transformed its place in the world in the 18th century. The four-part historical drama will follow the end of Catherine’s reign and her affair with Russian military leader Grigory Potemkin that helped shape the future of Russian politics. Catherine the Great premieres October 21 at 10PM on HBO

BEEn looking forward to this, looks fantastic

SEE – Official Trailer | Apple TV+

In the far future, a virus has decimated humankind. Those who survived emerged blind.

Jason Momoa stars as Baba Voss, the father of twins born centuries later with the mythic ability to see—who must protect his tribe against a powerful yet desperate queen who believes it’s witchcraft and wants them destroyed. Alfre Woodard also stars as Paris, Baba Voss’ spiritual leader.Coming November 1

Dublin Murders | Trailer - BBC

A dark psychological mystery which focuses on a murder investigation led by ambitious and charismatic Detectives Rob Reilly and Cassie Maddox. When a young talented ballerina who is found dead on an ancient stone altar her death drags up another tragedy that befell this community years before, when three children disappeared into the local woods and only one returned

Dublin Murders | Official Trailer | STARZ

No one knows the whole truth. Meet detectives Rob Reilly (Killian Scott) and Cassie Maddox (Sarah Greene) when Dublin Murders premieres November 10 on STARZ, based on the acclaimed novels by Tana French.

Limetown – Official Trailer | Facebook Watch

Limetown follows "Lia Haddock, a journalist for American Public Radio (APR), as she unravels the mystery behind the disappearance of over 300 people at a neuroscience research facility in Tennessee.Limetown is an upcoming American drama web television series, based on the podcast of the same name created by Zack Akers and Skip Bronkie, that is set to premiere on Facebook Watch on October 16, 2019.

45 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

Did anyone say Wolf Hall season 2? Because I need me some Damien Lewis as  Henry VIII RN!

BBC Confirms Return of 'Wolf Hall' for a Second Season

"After nearly five years, a second run of the Thomas Cromwell-focused period drama will be heading back to our screens. Sometime. We don’t know exactly when it might run, who will be involved in producing it or even who might actually star in it.

But we do, finally, have official confirmation that Wolf Hall Season 2 is officially happening. At some point. 

Charlotte Moore, the BBC’s Director of Content, told the Radio Times that a sequel to the award-winning 2015 original series is officially in the works."

The sequel will adapt the series’ final novel, The Mirror and the Light. The Mirror and the Light will finally be published in March of 2020.

In other news....

Gillian Anderson Confirmed As Margaret Thatcher For 'The Crown' Season 4

https://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2019/09/09/gillian-anderson-confirmed-margaret-thatcher-crown-season-4

Archived