Upcoming TV Series of 2019/2020 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

8 minutes ago, divica said:

It doesn t work for me. It is something visually stunning but then has muppets! It completly ruins the atmosphere for me... I can t take it seriously...

Agree.

They don't really look like muppets to me but guess i grew up with Henson stuff. I don't think they ever had anything as disturbing as the skeksis on sesame street and the gelflings have a wooden flavour as opposed to felt.

If they had gone full CGI i wouldn't have been able to watch as it would be too different from the original. 

One missed opportunity with the puppets in dark crystal is that they don't have human characters to play off. I think there's a big difference when actors have something to play off of rather than a green tennis ball on a stick.

I thought it looks quite remarkable. I just barely remember having seen the original film as a child, and a quick look at Google shows that the real advances are in it being high-definition, and no doubt they're using some CGI in parts. 

3 hours ago, divica said:

It doesn t work for me. It is something visually stunning but then has muppets! It completly ruins the atmosphere for me... I can t take it seriously...

I strongly suggest watching the original film (which just got added to Netflix, I believe). The mix worked pretty well, and it helped these aren't really Muppets. The design is strikingly different.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

This looks incredible.

Indeed. A bit noticeably CGI-ish compared to the movie, but good CGI. The creators seem to know what they're doing. I'm really looking forward to it!

3 hours ago, divica said:

WATCH THE MOVIE!!!!

3 hours ago, red snow said:

One missed opportunity with the puppets in dark crystal is that they don't have human characters to play off.

Hell no; the complete alienness of the Dark Crystal world is one of its biggest strengths, adding humans into the mix would spoil it.

7 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Looks great. What is the relationship,story-wise, to the original film? I see a lot of familiar faces. Looks like maybe an expansion of the film.

It's a prequel, set some time in the preceding thousand years.

1 minute ago, felice said:

It's a prequel, set some time in the preceding thousand years.

Thanks, familiar faces but the numerous gelflings should have tipped me off to it being a prequel.

6 hours ago, felice said:

Indeed. A bit noticeably CGI-ish compared to the movie, but good CGI. The creators seem to know what they're doing. I'm really looking forward to it!

WATCH THE MOVIE!!!!

Hell no; the complete alienness of the Dark Crystal world is one of its biggest strengths, adding humans into the mix would spoil it.

I was meaning as a benefit of using puppets over CGI . Humans don't really fit in the dark crystal world unless they have lots of make-up and look like aliens. 

I miss farscape - maybe if this is a hit that ling promised mobie might get off the ground.

I don't know what to think of the look of this Dark Crystal. My first urge is for everything to be as it was, just make real sets and use real puppets.. but in 2019 maybe that would look ridiculous. But there is something a little off about the ultra glossy CGI and the floppy puppets bumping around. It might take some getting used to. I am reserving judgement.

Per the Jim Henson Company, VFX were used to green screen some things (presumably for CG backdrops) and to help remove puppeteers from shots when their presence couldn't be avoided. Should mean that there'll be some really dynamic movement  happening, though, if they can choreograph scenes allowing the puppeteers much more flexibility.

There are 4 shows coming in June on Netflix I'm interested seeing: Jessica Jones, Dark, Designated Survivor (guilty pleasure), and apparently they got season 2 of Black Spot, which was on Amazon previously.

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Just want The Last Kingdom season four. Only reason I even keep Netflix around

That, and Ertugrul.  And Peaky Blinders.  Those sorts are so few and so very far between!

Something inhuman approaches. Carnival Row Season 1 coming August 30.

Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne star in Carnival Row, a Victorian fantasy world filled with mythological immigrant creatures. Feared by humans, they are forbidden to live, love, or fly with freedom. But even in darkness, hope lives, as a human detective and a faerie rekindle a dangerous affair. The city’s uneasy peace collapses when a string of murders reveals a monster no one could imagine

What if the space race had never ended? Watch an official first look at For All Mankind, an Apple Original drama series coming this Fall to Apple TV+

For All Mankind is created by Emmy® Award winner Ronald D. Moore (Outlander, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica), Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi. Told through the lives of NASA astronauts, engineers and their families, For All Mankind presents an aspirational world where NASA and the space program remained a priority and a focal point of our hopes and dreams.

For All Mankind stars Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman, Wrenn Schmidt, Shantel VanSanten, Sarah Jones and Jodi Balfour.

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I'll reserve excitement until i know how I'll be able to watch this in UK without apple accounts. It would be good to see Moore back in a sci-fi setting and given it's set in our world the chances of aliens/angels/AI doppelgangers are less likely. Unless the continued space race advanced AI and robotics in which case there's still a chance for Moore to lean into silly/convoluted aspects that weakened the otherwise excellent BSG

NETFLIX RELEASES FIRST PHOTO OF KATHERINE LANGFORD AS NIMUE LADY OF THE LAKE FROM ARTHURIAN LEGENDS EPIC SAGA CURSED!

The ten episode saga will be a re imagining of the famous legend, told through the eyes of Nimue, a teenage heroine with a mysterious gift who is destined to become the powerful and tragic Lady of the Lake.

After her mother’s death, she finds an unexpected partner in Arthur, a young mercenary, in a quest to find Merlin and deliver an ancient sword. Over the course of her journey, Nimue will become a symbol of courage and rebellion against the terrifying Red Paladins, and their complicit King Uther...

....Tom Wheeler's yet to be released book, CURSED also stars Devon Terrell, Gustaf Skarsgård, Peter Mullan, Lily Newmark, Shalom Brune Franklin, Daniel Sharman, Sebastian Armesto, Emily Coates, Catherine Walker and Billy Jenkins.

http://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2019/06/netflix-releases-first-photo-of.html

Dunno ... about this ....

Better, one thinks, that they adapted Bernard Corwell's Arthurian trilogy.

Archived