International thread 2

Ser Scot A Ellison

41 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

You summed up my feelings exactly.

I've never had the opportunity to go to Paris.

I have been to NYC many times, been to the World Trade Center, ate at the Windows of the World restaurant. 9/11 hit me hard in so many ways. This is devastating for me to see, but more than that it's summoning my sympathy and empathy for those who's connection are even closer to this tragedy.

Last spring I had the incredible privilege of visiting just a few of the many places in France that mean so much to us, all over the world, in the wake of visiting others over the years.  France, like all of Europe, particularly for historians that deal a great deal with Europe -- and that includes those of us whose specialty is US history, African history, Caribbean history, Latin American history  -- means so much to us all.  There's so much that matters!  I've barely scratched the surface.

Which is why Notre Dame matters so much: people from every country, just about, in the world, have been there.  It is a great work of humanity.

I thought this article that discusses Notre-Dame and its structure and the fire was interesting:

https://www.citylab.com/design/2019/04/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-paris-gothic-architecture-history/587191/

Was so pleased to see the pictures showing the inside of the cathedral just inside the front doors and how much remains standing.  And that vaulted ceiling - so amazing to see how much remains.  What a testament to its construction that you can have a portion out and yet the ribs remain intact like that.

It doesn't seem possible that something like this could have happened to something that was there 600 years before there was a United States of America. 

And the worst part was the look of stunned silence on the part of the citizens of the city.  I am glad to hear that much of the artwork had been moved out because of the renovations.  

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't know much about the history, but how has it survived so long without a fire already. 

It hasn't, to a degree. It was apparently never outright on fire, but it was damaged by Huguenot riots and thrashed during the French revolution, turned into a warehouse and left as a desolate ruin up until the early 19th century.

As tragic as it is, we can rebuilt it. Wouldn't be the first time.

There is at least one silver lining from the Notre Dame fire, it raised awareness about three black churches in Louisiana that were burned down by an arsonist last month. More specifically, it kicked their fundraising drive to rebuild into overgear...

The fires at the three churches in St. Landry Parish occurred over 10 days beginning at the end of March. Authorities said they were deliberately set and have arrested a suspect.

As of Sunday, a GoFundMe campaignseeking donations for the churches had raised only about $50,000. By Thursday morning, donations had soared to more than $1.8 million. The money is to be distributed equally among the three churches, which were all a century old.

A couple reporters raised the point that Notre Dame was getting so much money so quickly from billionaires and corporations that ordinary folk seeking to donate would have a much bigger impact donating to these churches instead. They each donated $1,000 of their own money and that got the ball rolling quickly.

Following the coup d'etat, protests in Sudan have heated up, and citizens are attempting to take power from the military:

Sudan protest leaders on Friday announced plans to unveil a civilian body to take over from the country's ruling military council as crowds of demonstrators kept up the pressure outside army headquarters in the capital Khartoum.

The military council, which took power after overthrowing Sudan's longtime leader Omar al-Bashir on April 11, has so far resisted calls from protesters to quickly make way for a civilian administration. 

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), which has been spearheading the months-long protests, said in a statement that the civilian council members would be named at a news conference at 17:00 GMT on Sunday outside the army complex to which foreign diplomats are also invited. 

"We are demanding that this civilian council, which will have representatives of the army, replace the military council," Ahmed al-Rabia, a leader of the umbrella group of unions for doctors, engineers and teachers, told the AFP news agency.

The latest announcement comes after the group on Thursday outlined the structure of the potential transitional government.

The SPA said the new transitional government should be made up of a presidential council tasked with carrying out the functions of the state, a council of ministers and a transitional civil statutory council. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/sudan-protest-leaders-unveil-interim-civilian-council-190419093840406.html

One of the worst attacks in recent history in Sri Lanka:

At least 207 people have been killed and 450 hurt in explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, police say.

Eight blasts were reported, including at three churches in Negombo, Batticaloa and Colombo's Kochchikade district during Easter services.

The Shangri-La, Kingsbury and Cinnamon Grand hotels and one other, all in the capital, were also targeted.

A national curfew has been put in place "until further notice" and social media networks have been temporarily blocked.

A foreign ministry official has said at least 27 foreign nationals are among the dead.

Update:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/world/asia/sri-lanka-explosion.html

(At least 35 foreign nationals were killed.)

Nobody claimed the attack yet, but the police issued a couple of days ago a letter warning of planning of attacks by an islamist group named National Thowheeth Jama’ath. They seek to kill “nonbelievers”: rich tourists in hotels (symbol of a western way of life), Christians celebrating Easter (two churches were Catholic, one Evangelical).

3 hours ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

Update:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/21/world/asia/sri-lanka-explosion.html

(At least 35 foreign nationals were killed.)

Nobody claimed the attack yet, but the police issued a couple of days ago a letter warning of planning of attacks by an islamist group named National Thowheeth Jama’ath. They seek to kill “nonbelievers”: rich tourists in hotels (symbol of a western way of life), Christians celebrating Easter (two churches were Catholic, one Evangelical).

Lord have mercy on all of us.  

Archived