International thread 2

Ser Scot A Ellison

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. Most people will forget about this in less than a week. It says a lot about humanity these days…

The weird thing is that it is pretty big in old style media at least around here but social media seems to ignore it more or less completly. Not like Christchurch at all. I saw news about that on Reddit first. 

7 minutes ago, Wolfgang I said:

The weird thing is that it is pretty big in old style media at least around here but social media seems to ignore it more or less completly. Not like Christchurch at all. I saw news about that on Reddit first. 

Depends what social media you are referring to. I guess the issue with it is that the narrative is probably a lot more complex than the Christchurch attack, what more is there to say about Islamic extremism that hasn't already been said for the past couple of decades. 

Its mostly sad about how unsurprised everyone was about this attack.

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Depends what social media you are referring to. I guess the issue with it is that the narrative is probably a lot more complex than the Christchurch attack, what more is there to say about Islamic extremism that hasn't already been said for the past couple of decades. 

Its mostly sad about how unsurprised everyone was about this attack.

Mostly Reddit I guess in my case. 

I suspect people commented/posted a lot but most comments were turned into "deleted"by mods before I saw them.

10 minutes ago, Wolfgang I said:

Mostly Reddit I guess in my case. 

I suspect people commented/posted a lot but most comments were turned into "deleted"by mods before I saw them.

I think the only real twitter stuff I've seen has revolved around the different reaction and wording from people like Obama and Clinton on the events, a strange wording of describing Christians as 'Easter Worshippers'. Thats basically the extent of commentary and understanding from a lot of people on the internet. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I think the only real twitter stuff I've seen has revolved around the different reaction and wording from people like Obama and Clinton on the events, a strange wording of describing Christians as 'Easter Worshippers'. 

The victims were in a church, at Easter. By definition, that makes them Easter worshippers.

Here's a nice take on the 'issue'.

I would argue that it takes a true savant of exquisitely attuned grievance collection to read an individual reference to “Easter worshippers” as an attempt to avoid acknowledging Christianity. Easter is the most important holiday in the Christian calendar. “Easter” has no other meaning. As a celebration, it is far less secularly degraded than Christmas. Bunnies aside, it is basically inaccessible as a holiday to anyone uncomfortable with acknowledging the story of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. If anything, “Easter worshippers” puts extra emphasis on the religious nature of the attack by pointing out that it happened on a day of special spiritual meaning to victims. It implies: Not only did you attack Christians, you did it today of all days.

The only places I've seen complaints about the use of that phrase are on God twitter, sites that yearn for the End Times whilst describing Obama as a demon and/or abortion extremist, and here, by you. Get over yourself.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The only places I've seen complaints about the use of that phrase are on God twitter, sites that yearn for the end times whilst describing Obama as a demon and/or abortion extremist.

Why would you even inhabit such places. 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

..yeah anyway...

I wasn't defending these people, just pointing out that any discussion about the attack seemed to revolve around something as utterly trivial and silly as the term Easter Worshippers. Which is quite sad. 

If it's so trivial, why bring it up at all? Why describe a perfectly normal phrase as 'strange'. What was your point, if not to add to the anti-muslim, woe is Christianity narrative the right is currently pushing?

You fucking people.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

The victims were in a church, at Easter. By definition, that makes them Easter worshippers.

Here's a nice take on the 'issue'.

The only places I've seen complaints about the use of that phrase are on God twitter, sites that yearn for the End Times whilst describing Obama as a demon and/or abortion extremist, and here, by you. Get over yourself.

I’m absolutely sure everyone of these people who got offended over the use of the phrase Easter-worshipers would have mocked the Left if they got offended at the use of the phrase Ramadan-worshipers as being too sentive and PC.

54 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

..yeah anyway...

I wasn't defending these people, just pointing out that any discussion about the attack seemed to revolve around something as utterly trivial and silly as the term Easter Worshippers. Which is quite sad. 

Fair enough.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

The only reason it’s even being covered here is because Muslims killed Christians praying on a major religious holiday.

Sad state of affairs really.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, Spockydog said:

If it's so trivial, why bring it up at all? Why describe a perfectly normal phrase as 'strange'. What was your point, if not to add to the anti-muslim, woe is Christianity narrative the right is currently pushing?

You fucking people.

What fucking people are you addressing?

If I wanted to push a "woe is Christianity" narrative, I might point out that a huge number of Christians just got murdered.  Of the 359 dead so far (and counting), it seems the lion's share were Christian, and were targeted because they were Christian.

But yeah.   Quibbling about other people's choice of words is trivial.  Also making this tragedy about the fact that somebody somewhere on the internet said something trivial, is also trivial.

The disparate reactions to this and the Christchurch massacre (on this board and elsewhere) is rather like night and day.  But I don't have a single explanation.  I'm sure many factors are involved.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

So has prolific tweeter AOC eventually posted a tweet of condolences about this event yet?

Have you checked her Twitter feed?

Meanwhile: has prolific poster Free Northman Reborn posted any condolences about this event, or only snide questions about whether other people have Tweeted condolences?

ETA - to be clear about this: I don't think for a second that you don't sincerely feel sadness and sympathy about the victims of this attack, as do I. The fact that neither of us have said so on this board, is not proof of anything. Same standard applies to AOC. I honestly don't know if she's said anything or not, for what it's worth. But I do know that your post above is using a tragedy to take a cheap shot at a political figure you dislike. It's not a good look.

Archived