International thread 2

Ser Scot A Ellison

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

Have you checked her Twitter feed?

Meanwhile: has prolific poster Free Northman Reborn posted any condolences about this event, or only snide questions about whether other people have Tweeted condolences?

ETA - to be clear about this: I don't think for a second that you don't sincerely feel sadness and sympathy about the victims of this attack, as do I. The fact that neither of us have said so on this board, is not proof of anything. Same standard applies to AOC. I honestly don't know if she's said anything or not, for what it's worth. But I do know that your post above is using a tragedy to take a cheap shot at a political figure you dislike. It's not a good look.

If you google it seems the rightwing media (Fox, Hannity and co) are going nuts about this.

And looking at her twitter feed, prior to a couple hours ago she'd done 1 post total in the past week*. She was visiting her grandmother in Puerto Rico. But apparently she needs to be tweeting about world news 24/7 regardless of her personal circumstances.

*And that 1 tweet looks like a promotional tweet for a documentary about her posted on her behalf.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Have you checked her Twitter feed?

Meanwhile: has prolific poster Free Northman Reborn posted any condolences about this event, or only snide questions about whether other people have Tweeted condolences?

ETA - to be clear about this: I don't think for a second that you don't sincerely feel sadness and sympathy about the victims of this attack, as do I. The fact that neither of us have said so on this board, is not proof of anything. Same standard applies to AOC. I honestly don't know if she's said anything or not, for what it's worth. But I do know that your post above is using a tragedy to take a cheap shot at a political figure you dislike. It's not a good look.

It was better without the ETA.  Never explain your joke!

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I dont see anything wrong with calling the muslims and christians ramadan and easter worshippers. Seems like perfectly apt descripions, I truly fail to see what the whining is about?

There isn't anything wrong it taken in isolation.

"The Rights" issue seems to stem from a perceived general trend at avoiding or refusing criticism of some groups whilst happily criticising other groups. 

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

"The Rights" issue seems to stem from a perceived general trend at avoiding or refusing criticism of some groups whilst happily criticising other groups. 

So, the right is concerned about trademark infringement or something?

Regarding the "Eastern Worshipper" debate, the term seems weird to me but not offending. Obama's tweet is nothing but sadden and compationate: "The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity. On a day devoted to love, redemption, and renewal, we pray for the victims and stand with the people of Sri Lanka."

More surprising was the lack of coverage by the media -not only social media. Some far right people in Europe even argued that it is due to a deliberate will to emphazis anything happening to Muslims and to minimize anything happening to Christians, a kind of dark plot to prepare the world to a massive conversion...

I think that is has a lot to do with the location of the attacks. Christchurch belongs to the "Western world" (I know, it's a geographical nonsense, sorry Kiwis), while Sri Lanka is little known. Someone even asked me if is was a country and where is was!

Moreover, Sri Lanka government decided to shut down social media in its country to avoid the spread of false rumors or panic waves. I don't know if it was a good move, but that could have contributed to hamper the diffusion of the information on social media, I guess. As a result we did not see a lot of direct reports from journalists or witnesses in Sri Lanka.

Also hilarious is the holiday favortism amongst the right and the Christian right.  Or maybe they just need to hear a word with "Christ" in it somewhere:

"Happy Holidays!"

Fuck you and your war on Christmas!  Say Christmas! Say Christmas!

"The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity"

Goddamn it don't say the fucking holiday!  Say Christians!  Say Christians!

1 hour ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

More surprising was the lack of coverage by the media -not only social media. Some far right people in Europe even argued that it is due to a deliberate will to emphazis anything happening to Muslims and to minimize anything happening to Christians, a kind of dark plot to prepare the world to a massive conversion...

I think that is has a lot to do with the location of the attacks. Christchurch belongs to the "Western world" (I know, it's a geographical nonsense, sorry Kiwis), while Sri Lanka is little known. Someone even asked me if is was a country and where is was!

There is always a lack of coverage of attacks in countries outside of Europe and the US, because the media is so western centred. That is probably very understandable. I saw plenty of coverage in the media over here which is to be admired, but the trouble is that islamic terrorism doesn't tend to have much legs as a news story, not in the same way that a nazi attack would do. I think there is a numbing to these stories now. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

There is always a lack of coverage of attacks in countries outside of Europe and the US, because the media is so western centred. That is probably very understandable. I saw plenty of coverage in the media over here which is to be admired, but the trouble is that islamic terrorism doesn't tend to have much legs as a news story, not in the same way that a nazi attack would do. I think there is a numbing to these stories now. 

There is no numbing when islamic terrorism happens in western countries, see charlie hebdo. 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:09 PM, Heartofice said:

There isn't anything wrong it taken in isolation.

That is a natural reaction against a history of the wrong groups being blamed, and people are more careful about that now.

Or to put it slightly more bluntly, Islam doesn't lead to terrorism and bombing so an attack by groups claiming to represent it should not be used to blame the whole of it; while all white nationalists are actually genocidal by definition, so any attack by some-one self-identifying as it by word or action can be used to blame the whole of it. 

10 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Also hilarious is the holiday favortism amongst the right and the Christian right.  Or maybe they just need to hear a word with "Christ" in it somewhere:

"Happy Holidays!"

Fuck you and your war on Christmas!  Say Christmas! Say Christmas!

"The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity"

Goddamn it don't say the fucking holiday!  Say Christians!  Say Christians!

Apparently, a huge bunch of Christians being massacred is an excellent excuse for bashing those stupid Christians.  

25 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

Apparently, a huge bunch of Christians being massacred is an excellent excuse for bashing those stupid Christians.  

Actually, I'm bashing whomever was getting hypocritcally grumpy about the term "Easter worshippers", which I think was pretty clear.  I explicitly limited my criticism to this group, which of course could not include any victims of the bombing that prompted this discussion.  

Just saw an article about our German economy minister's musings after the New Silk Road conference in Peking and am quite worried. So apparently Jinping reacted to the criticism of China treating poor countries like a dubious loanshark... by offering rich countries more access to the Chinese market in exchange for keeping our mouths shut about it. And apparently we are supposed to be happy about that, because of course big business is.

Yeah, that doesn't sound ridiculously fishy and short-sighted at all... -.-

10 minutes ago, Toth said:

Just saw an article about our German economy minister's musings after the New Silk Road conference in Peking and am quite worried. So apparently Jinping reacted to the criticism of China treating poor countries like a dubious loanshark... by offering rich countries more access to the Chinese market in exchange for keeping our mouths shut about it. And apparently we are supposed to be happy about that, because of course big business is.

Yeah, that doesn't sound ridiculously fishy and short-sighted at all... -.-

A link to this article would be welcome (unless it is in German?).

Europe could pay back that later: if we close our eyes on the Chinese debt-trap diplomacy, we will be the next to be trapped by our greediness.

At this stage only Italy among Europe countries seeks to sign the New Silk Road MOU, but I just found out that several UE countries are already part of the BRI (only for the maritime part), including Germany.

7 minutes ago, Yet another Arya ! said:

A link to this article would be welcome (unless it is in German?).

It's in German, yes. Though I assume that there will be a few English takes on it soon. He certainly wasn't the only one there, aside the US refusing to send someone.

Archived