Why didn’t Martin use Bran as a vessel to show some historical events?

Mwm

The dry, academic style of Maester Gyldayn is probably easier to write than constructing a novel style narrative where Bran uses the Weirwood net to explore the past. 

Also, Gyldayn allows ambiguity and disputes, e.g. what was in Nymor's letter that spooked Aegon? How much of her book did Coryanne Wylde actually write? Did Mushroom really suggest that Jace Strong look for dragonseeds? 

A Bran narrated F&B means we lose this ambiguity, as he has a CCTV view of the past!!

On 3/10/2019 at 12:42 PM, Adam Yozza said:

There's two books left. He may still do this if there's any events in the past that are relative to the events of the series.

I agree - I think we will get flashbacks/Bran viewing the past in the next 2 books.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, Adam Yozza said:

There's two books left. He may still do this if there's any events in the past that are relative to the events of the series.

19 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I agree - I think we will get flashbacks/Bran viewing the past in the next 2 books.

Agreed.  There's time left and I believe readers will see things through Bran's eyes that Martin wants to reveal to the audience.  It just probably hasn't been time to reveal those things yet;)

13 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Agreed.  There's time left and I believe readers will see things through Bran's eyes that Martin wants to reveal to the audience.  It just probably hasn't been time to reveal those things yet;)

Plus it's kept us all frothing at the mouth and guessing/arguing what will happen next. GRRM is a master.

3 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Plus it's kept us all frothing at the mouth and guessing/arguing what will happen next. GRRM is a master.

Yep, Martin knows how to keep the audience interested.  Now, I vehemently disagree with those who think Martin's purpose is simply to "trick" the audience, etc.  I don't think so.  I believe he wants the audience to be "pickin'up what he's layin' down", so to speak.  But at the same time I don't think Martin wants to "spoon feed" info to readers in ASoIaF, he wants them to have to work for it a bit.  I often liken it to sort of "triangulation".  That is, Martin will give a detail over here, another detail over there, other details over somewhere else and readers have to put it all together (Jon resembling Lyanna by way of Arya is a classic example).  But, yes, I'm sure there's still more to reveal and at least some of it will be through Bran's eyes...and probably even through his greensight;)

On 3/10/2019 at 1:42 PM, Adam Yozza said:

I do agree with the honorable Council Member on this topic. The next two books will, without a doubt, show things that happened in the past. 

Now, the specific tragedy of Summerhall might not be shown.

18 minutes ago, HallowedMarcus said:

Now, the specific tragedy of Summerhall might not be shown.

That’s for the final D&E, which I already don’t want to read! :crying:

On 3/18/2019 at 8:25 PM, kissdbyfire said:

That’s for the final D&E, which I already don’t want to read! :crying:

1 hour ago, HallowedMarcus said:

Are you sure about the Tales of Dunk & Egg reaching that far? Till death do them apart?

I do not see these tales going much further away from the coronation of Aegon V, maybe not even that far ... The tragedy in summerhall we should know it better on the next books, from Bran's Visions or from Dany's dreams...

10 hours ago, HallowedMarcus said:

Are you sure about the Tales of Dunk & Egg reaching that far? Till death do them apart?

Link

[How many Dunk and Egg stories, and will they cover their lifetime?]

The number of stories is not set. Nine, ten, twelve, whatver it takes. They will carry the tale forward to the end of Dunk´s life. More than that I am not willing to reveal.

8 hours ago, MushroomIsNoFool said:

I do not see these tales going much further away from the coronation of Aegon V, maybe not even that far ... The tragedy in summerhall we should know it better on the next books, from Bran's Visions or from Dany's dreams...

Wholeheartedly disagree. A vision from Bran would feel like a misplaced infodump. And a dream from Dany would still leave many questions, since “dreams are not literal” yadda yadda yadda. And it’s not like Dany constantly has true and reliable dreams about the past. Also, Dany learning about Summerhall might have come handy before she hatched the eggs, but what would be the point now?

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Link

1.) The number of stories is not set. Nine, ten, twelve, whatver it takes. They will carry the tale forward to the end of Dunk´s life. More than that I am not willing to reveal.

2.) Wholeheartedly disagree. A vision from Bran would feel like a misplaced infodump. And a dream from Dany would still leave many questions, since “dreams are not literal” yadda yadda yadda. And it’s not like Dany constantly has true and reliable dreams about the past. Also, Dany learning about Summerhall might have come handy before she hatched the eggs, but what would be the point now?

1.) Oh... so you mean new writers are going to be doing some D&E tales "wild cards style"... ok, ok... if you are entitled to say so... very good, thanks for the info...

2.) I don't know why you put it that way, in his first visions Bran saw the memories from the Winterfell godswood Heart Tree, and he has been told that when he is adavanced on his training, he will see much more"

"The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use …
but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.” BRAN III (DWD).

And I guess it will depend on how does George to present the facts, if he wants to leave them a little vague he could present the facts in early stages of Bran training or through Dany's dreams.

For Dany, to know about the tragedy, could give her purpose, to know about what drove Egg and Rhaegar could give her purpose...

3 minutes ago, MushroomIsNoFool said:

1.) Oh... so you mean new writers are going to be doing some D&E tales "wild cards style"... ok, ok... if you are entitled to say so... very good, thanks for the info...

Not sure what you mean. When Martin says ‘they will carry the tale forward to the end of Dunk’s life’ he is referring to the novellas. They, the novellas, will carry etc etc. 

17 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Not sure what you mean. When Martin says ‘they will carry the tale forward to the end of Dunk’s life’ he is referring to the novellas. They, the novellas, will carry etc etc. 

hahahaha... ok ok... I had not read the interview...

is talking about the D&E tales as a series I guess... but he is way too far from get that point...

Some secrets need to remain secrets. :)

Besides, the narrative style could get odd. Am I right in thinking it's a show-only thing Bran can see everywhere right now? I'm pretty sure he can only see something where a weirwood is present (at least right now) and feel that there aren't too many big, obvious scenes in Westerosi history that take place before a weirwood tree. 

On 3/24/2019 at 9:08 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Link

The number of stories is not set. Nine, ten, twelve, whatver it takes. They will carry the tale forward to the end of Dunk´s life. More than that I am not willing to reveal.

Ohh, good to know. Thank you for your insight. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 10:43 PM, Ser Uncle P said:

The dry, academic style of Maester Gyldayn is probably easier to write than constructing a novel style narrative where Bran uses the Weirwood net to explore the past. 

Also, Gyldayn allows ambiguity and disputes, e.g. what was in Nymor's letter that spooked Aegon? How much of her book did Coryanne Wylde actually write? Did Mushroom really suggest that Jace Strong look for dragonseeds? 

A Bran narrated F&B means we lose this ambiguity, as he has a CCTV view of the past!!

Right: and though Gyldayn has ambiguities he can provide context beyond "tall man kissing woman", you would have to have read all of Dunk & Egg books to know that's Old Nan.

Archived