Victarion GreyJoy is a Jerk

Black Dragons

I don't care for him.  Victarion is a bad man.  He is important to the plot in the likelihood that he will bring the ironborn into the service of The Dragon, Daenerys Targaryen.  The vision in the House of the Undying seems to support the plot going in this direction.  I hope it does because it answers the question of where to get the ships to get the Targaryen armies across to Westeros.

1 hour ago, Sophia [email protected] said:

Can you people explain why you like him so much?. Then I will explain why he is Jackass!.

I never realized that anyone liked him.  But it is hard not to feel just a little sorry for someone who so obviously has it coming.  The poor sucker is obviously DOOMED.  And he obviously deserves it too.

I feel a bit sorry for him because of Euron and Aeron. Aeron made him constantly hope and then Euron destroyed it even though he was away for years.

But do I like him? Not really but I put him a notch above at least two brothers (Idk about Balon

3 hours ago, Sophia [email protected] said:

Can you people explain why you like him so much?.

He's fun, lots of ambition. The typical prince, a good soldier, brave, prideful, loyal and downright fucking scary. 

Hes also ashamed of the man he was and god fearing about the man he will become. Hes also Azor Ahai

3 hours ago, Sophia [email protected] said:

Then I will explain why he is Jackass!.

Why is he Jackass?

I always got the sense that people who "like" him really only do so ironically? If you don't take him too seriously, he's unintentionally hilarious, so he's got that going for him, I guess. He doesn't really have too many other redeeming qualities, otherwise, but I suppose he's the least worst of Balon's generation. 

15 hours ago, Sophia [email protected] said:

Can you people explain why you like him so much?. Then I will explain why he is Jackass!.

I find Victarion interesting in the context of his family, not as an individual character. The dynamic between him and his brothers is interesting and I'm sure we'll learn more about their past in Winds. But honestly, I feel like he's mostly a plot device - it's likely he'll be responsible for giving his fleet to Dany (willingly or unwillingly) to use and get her to Westeros. Plus he's pretty much rejected his own Gods IIRC?

16 hours ago, Sophia [email protected] said:

I think the idea is when you make a statement you are first supposed to back it up and then allow people to argue against. 

That saud Victarian is a turd on legs, but he makes the story go somewhere at least. Will be hopelessly overshadowed by Euron before too long

18 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

I never realized that anyone liked him.  But it is hard not to feel just a little sorry for someone who so obviously has it coming.  The poor sucker is obviously DOOMED.  And he obviously deserves it too.

Why does Vic deserve it? Hes loyal as FUCK to his family, a great leader and warrior who has the respect of his men.

Vic cant help that hes Ironborn and raised with different values and beliefs then say good ol Ned Stark. The way he treats the dusky woman is horrible but he treats her this way because she was a gift from Euron. 

4 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

His chapters are fast paced and action packed in books where the narrative has slowed to a snail's pace. 

That's why I like him, though morally speaking he is an antediluvian troglodyte. 

Yeah I agree with that.

Good story around the character - not such a good character. LOL

21 hours ago, Karneol said:

I feel a bit sorry for him because of Euron and Aeron. Aeron made him constantly hope and then Euron destroyed it even though he was away for years.

But do I like him? Not really but I put him a notch above his two brothers

True

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 4:50 PM, Karneol said:

But do I like him? Not really but I put him a notch above his two brothers

We've met 3 of his brothers.  Did you mean to include Aeron?

While I hate Ironborn culture and religion, Aeron is kind of awesome.  After at least 5 months of torment, Euron has failed to break him.  And his last act that we see, after those 5+ months of torment, is him trying to comfort another of Euron's victims.  After that, I just have to root for the guy.

16 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

We've met 3 of his brothers.  Did you mean to include Aeron?

I forgot Balon (i corect it)

17 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

While I hate Ironborn culture and religion, Aeron is kind of awesome.  After at least 5 months of torment, Euron has failed to break him.  And his last act that we see, after those 5+ months of torment, is him trying to comfort another of Euron's victims.  After that, I just have to root for the guy.

Was that in the TWoW preview chapter? I havnt read them all. I probably should. Maybe I change my opinion on him.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:17 AM, Sophia [email protected] said:

My issue with Victarion isn’t that he’s a jackass. A lot of my favorite characters in the series are jackasses (Tyrion, Cersei, Varys, Stannis). My issue with Victarion is that he’s useless. There is no point to his character. He adds nothing. 

The ironborn are pointless in general. The only 3 of any use are Asha, Theon, and Rodrik the Reader. 

On 3/10/2019 at 11:17 AM, Sophia [email protected] said:

Plenty of people love Drogo, and that doesn't seem to mystify anyone. Why are you confused about someone liking Victarion? He's just Drogo-on-the-Ocean. For the same reason I'm always mystified when people say something to the effect of "Daenerys could never love someone like Victarion!" when he is exactly her type, a cocky, deadly, violent asshole.

I don't like Victarion Greyjoy at all. Totally agree he's not very bright. He's monster in battle but not a great leader at all. Great captain but no skills to be a real ruller. He can only be a very usefull tool for Daenerys. He can not be anything more to her. I hope in the Winds House Greyjoy finally will realise that they can only be vassals of Daenerys Stormborn. Hope Victarion will use his loyality and battleskills in her service. Otherway he has no place in the story.

You can not compare Victarion to Drogo. Drogo us undisputed leader if his people. Victarion has no balls to oppose Euron openly. 

Archived