Victarion GreyJoy is a Jerk

Black Dragons

"Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower? No man ever truly knows what he can do unless he dares to leap. "

“There is the window. Leap. What do you want?”

Yes the guy is a jackass and an idiot. But this replay to Euron is pure gold, so I'll always have a special place in my heart for Vicky.

Sure he's a jerk, but I'd definitely consider myself a Victarion fan - at least of his story. It's not his fault he was born a Greyjoy - if he had been born on the mainland he'd probably be comparable to Robert Baratheon - not too smart but a beast. I'm not sure he's as stupid at GRRM lets on though. 

I don't see how his story can be seen as boring. He sails around the world with a massive pirate fleet with a horn that tames dragons. Plus, as someone who puts a lot of thought into how Dany will get to Westeros, I think the Iron Fleets voyage is very telling. I also like his details, like how he wears full plate while at sea and personally set the Lannister fleet on fire. Plus Victarion has to be one of the coolest names in Westeros. 

Am I saying Victarion is a great man and deserving of praise? Of course not, he's misunderstood at best and a monster at worse. But do I get excited when I turn the page and see a Victarion chapter is next? Hell yes. 

I don't like Victarion very much, but I don't hate him neither. For me he's just a classic Ironborn scum who preys on the weak. I believe he will have a great role to play in the endgame of the series. After Daenerys returns to Westeros in the final book, I can see Victarion reuniting with Theon, Asha and Aeron, and they will all wage war against Euron on Dany's side. One more thing I always imagined in the Winds of Winter; Daenerys will eventually accept Victarion as her ally, but she will also resent him for some things he will do. And because of that Victarion could be punished by Dany with spending the entire journey from Meereen to Westeros in chains.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, Mat92 said:

Plus he's pretty much rejected his own Gods IIRC?

Unfortunately not, Vic is hedging his bets, seeking power from both R'hollor and The Drowned God:

A Dance with Dragons - Victarion I

The captain answered with a nod, grim-faced, then called for the seven girls he had claimed to be brought on deck, the loveliest of all those found aboard the Willing Maiden. He kissed them each upon the cheeks and told them of the honor that awaited them, though they did not understand his words. Then he had them put aboard the fishing ketch that they had captured, cut her loose, and had her set afire.
"With this gift of innocence and beauty, we honor both the gods," he proclaimed, as the warships of the Iron Fleet rowed past the burning ketch. "Let these girls be reborn in light, undefiled by mortal lust, or let them descend to the Drowned God's watery halls, to feast and dance and laugh until the seas dry up."
Near the end, before the smoking ketch was swallowed by the sea, the cries of the seven sweetlings changed to joyous song, it seemed to Victarion Greyjoy.

Sacrificing virgins for favourable winds is one thing but imagining the screams of people burning to death as a "joyous song" is an act (or conceit) of a true believer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some like him due to him being a big, strong warrior. In truth, he is like Robert in that he has all the warrior virtues, but little of any of the other ones. He is also a racist, a rapist, a homophobe and almost never challenges conventions. The author himself called Victarion a dumbass. 

His chapters are interesting though. 

I don't like or hate him, but he's interesting enough to make me wonder what he will do next.

He will be in a position to woo Dany, and he's a much bigger badass than Daario, especially with his burned arm. He is in a position to "steal" her dragon too.

My guess is, although there is little room to build this, he does manage to woo Dany by being a bigger badass than Daario, but ultimately ends up dying, so he blows Dragonbinder and "wargs" into one of her dragons, permanently.

Now whether he sticks around Dany or flies back to kill Euron (and then maybe even ends up taken control of by Euron), I can't guess either way.

Probably none of this will happen lol.

Archived