Use the Oxford comma. It provides clarity and avoids confusion

Ser Scot A Ellison

Last time I checked Gal Gadot was not the President of Israel.  The Pres. of Israel is Reuven Rivlin.  But knowing she is Israeli I did wonder and check.  Why not use the Oxford comma and avoid this confusion?

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is drawing criticism for saying that Israel is "the national state, not of all its citizens, but only of the Jewish people." The comment prompted many people — including Israel's president and the star of Wonder Woman — to defend Israel's Palestinian Arab minority.[emphasis added]

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

What would be an example of a non Oxford comma?

Here are several:

Hey, DireWolfSpirit, how are you?

He went to the store, and he bought milk. 

DireWolfSpirit, a poster at ASOIAF forums, asked about Oxford commas. 

If DireWolfSpirit asks a question, then unJon answers it. 

Because DireWolfSpirit asked, I decided to make this post. 

At the beginning of the story in chapter 2, the main character was introduced. 

DireWolfSpirit asked about non Oxford commas, which have many uses in written English.  

On 3/13/2019 at 6:34 AM, Maltaran said:

I thought you only needed the Oxford comma if the list was three or more entries

You definitely need it for three entries:

"We threw a party, and made sure to invite the strippers, Hitler, and Stalin."

"We threw a party, and made sure to invite the strippers, Hitler and Stalin."

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Does three vowel words in a row count as alliteration or is it literally only starts with same letter?

Vowel sounds are assonance. 

For anyone who hasn't seen it, lacking an Oxford commas can cost millions in lawsuits.

overtime rules do not apply to:

The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

(1) Agricultural produce;

(2) Meat and fish products; and

(3) Perishable foods.

Is "packing for shipment" separate from "distribution?" Or is it only "packing," whether it's for shipment or distribution? Truck drivers argued for the latter and won millions.

Since I have a BA in English Literature, I am well aware that I should use the Oxford Comma, should have my direct and indirect objects straight, and should avoid dangling modifiers.

But I'm a fucking rebel dammit! So my panda eats, shoots and leaves all he damn well pleases!

I was recently published online and the damn editor removed ALL of my oxford commas on the first edit and returned my piece back to me for a few things I needed to polish up.  I added them back in before re-submitting and he removed them again the second time before publishing.  I also found out during that process that even when semi-colons are used properly, they will be removed and replaced with dashes.  

6 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I was recently published online and the damn editor removed ALL of my oxford commas on the first edit and returned my piece back to me for a few things I needed to polish up.  I added them back in before re-submitting and he removed them again the second time before publishing.  I also found out during that process that even when semi-colons are used properly, they will be removed and replaced with dashes.  

The editor was mostly likely going by the AP Stylebook, which doesn't require Oxford Commas (they base it on context and if the interpretation of the item list is clear without the OC - ex: The US flag is red, white and blue.) and has some weird rules re: semicolons.

Archived